The only reason to stay here is for the water park. Our kids were 10 and 12 and we're old enough to go down the water slides and lazy river by themselves. The wave pool was a bit crowded and not really safe for poor swimmers so you need to go with your kids or watch them from the pool deck. There are lifeguards, but it is very busy at times. The food was pretty awful at the hotel. Utica has only 3 or 4 restaurants besides fast food. There is a candy store in the hotel lobby and the breakfast buffet is ok. The indoor amusement park was disappointing. I had seen a website which showed pictures of an indoor roller coaster but there isn't one. The games are like Chucky Cheese which takes tokens and spits out tickets that you trade for crappy prizes. Our kids played a lot of games and had a ton of tickets but all the could "buy" was candy that would cost $3.00 at Walgreens. You have to be willing to pay for the entertainment value of the games. At first we thought the kids were too old for this place but they actually had a great time. We only stayed three days though and left a day early because we got bored. Make sure to check out starved rock park which was worth the trip. The room was fine but standard and the whole place smells like chlorine.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort offers skin-drenching fun all year long right in the beautiful setting of Starved Rock State Park. Located just 90 minutes from Chicago or the Quad Cities and an hour from Bloomington or Rockford, our 60 wooded acres offer all of nature's wonders. This includes Grand Bear Falls Indoor Waterpark, beautiful lodge accommodations, as well as our 1800 sq. ft. vacation villas and luxurious 2800 sq. ft. cabins. Enjoy a variety of dining options, including wraps, salads, hot sandwiches and made to order pizzas at Jack's Place. During the summer months guests can enjoy a view of nature at our Bear Island Pavilion & Curtis Canyon Deck. Next to Bear Island enjoy our “Castle in the Woods” playground area and test your skills at our 18 hole Canyon Creek Miniature Golf Course. All lodge rooms include a microwave, mini-fridge, hair dryer and wi-fi internet access. Our Vacation Villas are a 2-story townhome with a fully-applianced kitchen (basic pots and pans and place settings are provided), 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Our Log Cabins offer 3 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, a fully-applianced kitchen (basic pots and pans and place settings are provided), 3 fireplace, s and an oversized Great Room. Other resort amenities include the Cave Arcade with over 60 games, the Wave Cafe Snack Shop, the Honey Pot Sweet Shop & Grizzly Bean Gourmet Coffee Shop and the Moose Crossing Convenience Store. Our Grand Bear Conference Center includes over 8000 sq. ft. of meeting space, including 6000 sq. ft. of Grand Ballroom space to accommodate your larger functions such as weddings, family reunions and corporate events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia and Ebookers so you can book your Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grizzly Jack`s Grand Bear Hotel Utica
- Grizzly Jacks Grand Bear Resort
- Grizzly Jacks Grand Bear Hotel