“Nice accomodations!”
Review of Landers House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Utica
Landers House
Ranked #1 of 1 Utica B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We enjoyed our time at Landers House. This was our second stay here and we even brought along our son and his girlfriend for their own cottage. Well appointed, clean, great location. Nice oversize hot tub and cozy fireplace. Outside fire pit. Television very small screen, but this was minor complaint. Only significant drawback: mattress getting to be past it's prime, as it was not so comfortable. But overall this was a really nice stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jerry Z

Reviewed 27 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2-nights in the La Noche cabin. The main house is very charming, very well kept inside and we thought the distressed paint just added to the down home feeling. We travel quite a bit and the hotels that have perfectly manicured lawns & plants with rooms that are decorated by corporate designers gets old after awhile. This was exactly what we were looking for. Every B & B that we have stayed in over the years have all been different and I feel that most have a unique charm to them and you just need to embrace it. So, some people might feel the outside of the house needs painting, we thought it wasn't that big of a deal.

The 2- Inn Keepers we met were both very, very nice, gave us lots of information and were so attentive to anything we needed. In the main house there was an ice maker, fridge with bottles of cold water, coffee/tea, several different types of cookies laid out that you could help yourself to at all hours of the day/night.

There are pros and cons to this property. But over all the stay was a great little retreat and very romantic.

First the pros -
We stayed in the La Noche cabin and I can't even tell you how elaborate & beautifully decorated it was. The faux painting on the walls, hand painted rails going up to the loft and around the doors, there is a switch and on the ceiling little lights come on, so it looks like you are outside under the stars! There is a jetted tub for two and don't worry if you don't have bubble bath, there is a packet of herbal bath salts. We turned on the stars, dimmed the lights, turned on the radio and drank wine in the tub!! Was so relaxing (especially after a day of hiking at Starved Rock)! The towels were soft and plush and they even provided soft bath robes.

Just outside the door to the cabin is a fire pit and chairs. One of the nights we sat outside and made a fire, ate some pizza and listened to music. No mosquitos! (we have lots where we are from). They provide everything you need for the fire pit. Long lighters, rolled up paper, matches, fire poker that can be used to make s'mores and of course the wood!

There is also a kitchenette in the cabin with a full size coffee maker! Coffee mugs, coffee, teas, sugar/sweetener, silverware and glasses, and a mini fridge that was nice and cold!

We only had breakfast one morning because we had to leave early the 2nd day. Visually it looked delicious and tasted just as good. Two crepes filled with berry cream cheese, 3-pieces of bacon, English muffin, orange juice and fresh fruit. It was very filling and perfect before going to Starved Rock.

The backyard of the property was very well kept, relaxing and had several different places to sit and relax. We took our shoes off, sat under a tree with our lap tops (yes, I know can't get away with out them) and relaxed.

The Cons -
The #1 thing for us was the bed and pillows. We were absolutely exhausted the fist night from traveling and were looking forward to a great nights sleep. Sad to say, it did not happen either night. The bed was very soft and lumpy causing us to constantly toss/turn, which caused the bed to constantly squeak! So all night, toss/turn squeak! There were four sleeping pillows on the bed that were very, very soft and gave you no support. We even tried folding them in half and layering them. The pillows just went flat. The 2nd night my husband got up and slept on the love seat and said he got a better nights sleep there with the pillow on the sofa. Also, it is very close to the train tracks (like 1-block over close!) and several times during the night the train would go by and blow the air horn multiple times.

The kitchenette had this mismatch of items. 2-coffee mugs (most important), but no dishes, it had 2-different bowels. The night we brought pizza back I'm glad I asked for paper plates from the restaurant.

Also, breakfast they deliver to your room, which is really a lovely thing. But the chairs outside on the screened patio of our cabin were so uncomfortable to sit on. They looked pretty, but the angle of the seat was anything but comfortable. We opted to eat on the deck of the main house which had very comfortable chairs. One thing about breakfast, it starts at 9am and you pick a time in 15-min intervals for delivery. So ours was at 9:15, because the 9am spot was already taken. This for us was ok, but we are early risers. So we are up at 7am having coffee and felt like we had to kinda hang around for breakfast. The 2nd day we left at 9am and just couldn't wait for breakfast. It would be nice if you could come to the main house earlier and just self serve breakfast or something. The Inn Keeper did offer to pack up fruit or cookies or something if we wanted to take it on the go- so that was really nice. But, like I mentioned the beds were uncomfortable and although we planned on sleeping in, it just wasn't going to happen.

Overall the stay was enjoyable. The cottage was comfortable, spacious, and romantic. The people who live and work in this beautiful little town and so friendly and if engaged love to talk about where you are from and what brought you to Utica! Starved Rock was amazing and free!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ConDMedic
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My husband & I stayed in the caribou cabin and it was great. We Loved it. It was very private and we did not have to go thru the main house to get in and out of our cottage. We hiked at Starved Rock and then took part in the "taste of Utica". Our cabin was clean and very comfortable. Also, breakfast was great and the staff was VERY helpful. The only small negative was how loud the air conditioner was. But, overall a very nice 24 hours away for real LIFE.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed here for a 1 night get away after visiting Starved Rock State Park. The main house is in need of a paint job, but I'm glad we didn't let first impressions deter us. We stayed in the Serengeti Cottage. The furnishings were clean & comfortable. The staff were friendly and the breakfast in the morning was well worth the wait and delivered to our cottage. The downtown business district is just around the corner - all 1 block of it - but we were able to pick up the few things we needed there. After a day of hiking, the whirlpool tub was a great relaxer. You could stay near by in a bare bones motel for half the price, but if you're not pinching pennies, this was a delightful place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2013

My husband and I spent four nights at Landers House at the end of June and we absolutely loved it. We stayed in Creel Cottage, which is very private and very quiet. The downstairs sitting area is spacious and comfortable, there is a wet bar area with a fridge and coffee pot (an absolute necessity for me in the morning), and the two-person jacuzzi was spotless (and felt great after a day of hiking at Starved Rock State Park). The queen-size bed is in a loft area, and is very comfortable. Landers House is within walking distance of cute shops and restaurants. And the breakfasts are awesome - way too much food, but definitely delicious! I would love to go back and stay there again - it was a fun, relaxing, romantic getaway!

Room Tip: The cottages are spacious and private.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My husband and mysefl stayed here for our "almost-honey-moon." We were very please by the whole place! Mary Beth is the best! All types of families are very welcome here even for it being such a small down place. We stayed in the African Safary type room it was amazing. No complaints what so ever. Also note is it right next to "down town" so bars,pubs, and eateries are in walking distance, the canal is in walking distance, the ice cream place is in walking distance, the 2004 Tornado Memorial is in walking distance. Utic is my favorite small town in all of Illinois!

Room Tip: Any room offers the same privacy and comfort as the next.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2013

This B&B was convenient to downtown Utica (less than a block from the main street) and Starved Rock State Park (a short drive). It was clean and decorated in a cute way. The room was spacious. The owners were very nice. And I do like that for breakfast, they have set up individual tables, rather than having to share a table with strangers. But if I'm going to pay $220 for 1 night at a B&B in a small town when it's not even tourist season, I just expect more.

At other B&Bs I've been to that charge these kinds of prices, they provide cutesy amenities, like board games, movies, afternoon snacks, and of course, a delicious breakfast. This B&B's similar amenities just seemed sort of downtrodden in comparison.
At the time we were there, it only had one board game available that I had never heard of.
They had a selection of movies available, but they were VHS! And there was only a tiny tv in the downstairs parlor that had a VHS player, like the kind of tv/vhs combo that I used to have in my dorm room. If they provided DVDs instead, we could have taken them to our room to watch on our computer which had a bigger screen than the tv.
We arrived later in the day, but as far as I know, there was not an afternoon snack, like homemade cookies.
The breakfast visually looked pretty but sadly was a little weird - an odd combo of eggs on an English muffin but with lettuce and mayonnaise. I've never heard of putting mayonnaise on eggs.
The bed was not particularly comfortable.

Overall, there wasn't anything overtly bad about our stay. But the experience just didn't live up to the price that was charged. If you can get a better deal on it, then it has the basics to make for a nice stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort
Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center
La Quinta Inn Peru Starved Rock State Park
Best Western Oglesby Inn
Days Inn Oglesby/ Starved Rock
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peru

Been to Landers House? Share your experiences!