“This place is a dump!”
Review of Landers House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Utica
Landers House
Ranked #1 of 1 Utica B&B and Inns
chicago
“This place is a dump!”
Reviewed 8 June 2010

I still can't believe how bad our experience at the Landers house was. When we first got there, we were greeted by a teenager ready and waiting with our credit card slip to prepay. When we got to the cottage, I was appalled. The place had spiderwebs all over and had obviously not been cleaned in the last 6 months. On top of that we were paying $250 per night! There was even spiders in the shower! There wasn't even someone available on staff during the day for questions or to help with tips on the area. Save your money and go to the parks as a day trip or stay at the park lodge. This place markets itself as luxury accomodations when its really a ripoff and dirtier than a sleazy motel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chitraveler32
LandersHouse, Manager at Landers House, responded to this review, 8 February 2011
Sorry for the delay in response. Landers House is currently under NEW management and employs all new staff members. In response to this review, all areas of concern have been addressed. Our new management team continues to strive to better serve our guests and their needs. Please contact our team @ landershouse@comcast.net or call 1-815-667-5170 to further discuss this matter.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Illinois
Reviewed 5 June 2010

My husband and I have stayed at Landers House twice - once in the cottage La Noche and once in the Serengeti cottage. My favorite was La Noche - though both were lovely. La Noche had fiber optic lights in the ceiling that was painted like the night sky - so it looked like twinkling stars. It was beautiful. Each cottage had it's own 2 person jacuzzi and 2 person shower, along with fireplace and upstairs sleeping loft. We were brought breakfast, juice and coffee in the morings. The food and service we received was wonderful. The best thing about Landers House was the attention to detail - every little nook had something in it to draw your eye.

The cost was a bit pricey for the cottages, but it was worth it for amazing the time that we had. There are 2 state parks close by that we went to. We also went horseback riding and rented jet-skis on the Illinois river. The only things I would say could be better would be some new mattresses (ours were very uncomfortable and sqeaky anytime you moved) and to replace the vcr's in the rooms with dvd players. Everything else would have been difficult to improve upon.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Silverchairchick
Illinois
Reviewed 3 June 2010

Stay away from Lander's House!!! We visited this place last month during the Memorial Day holiday. I was so excited when I saw the photos on the internet. Let me tell you the place is dirty! We stayed in the Serengeti cottage and there were stains on the carpet, spider webs, and dust everywhere. On the screened porch there were mounds of dust and fallen leaves, and spider webs there also. The landscape leading inside the courtyard has been neglected also. I called around several times looking for a place to stay and the owner of this place was the only one to return my call with availability. Now I know why. She charged me $250 a night and we stayed there for two nights. Beware of this place. If you don't care about cleanliness then Lander's house will be great for you. Upstairs in the bedroom we found dirty socks in one of the decorative crates, several bulbs were blown and never replaced during our stay. I don't want anyone else to stay here and pay the money I did so I feel it is my duty to warn everyone out there BEFORE they book a night at this place. I only wished I listened to the review I saw on Lander's House dated April, 2010. Check that one out too, it's all true!!!

2 Thank Beauty64

Chicago, IL
Reviewed 18 April 2010

I stayed at Landers House with my husband for one night and it almost ruined our entire weekend at the lovely Starved Rock and Matthiessen state parks. It's difficult to find words to describe how awfully DIRTY the whole place was. In the main house (the one shown on the website) there were stains on the tables, old bread crumbs, cigarette butts, old dried out cookies, glasses for "complimentary" coffee that were so dirty you would not dare touch them, not to mention spiderwebs. The only staff member we saw disappeared after showing us the room (which was located at an old dilapidated house next door, apparently part of the Landers House but not shown on the website--for obvious reasons). Our room was very cold and although we tried calling staff in the evening, no one ever got back to us. Our room was NOT CLEANED for our arrival. The sink was dirty, there were stains on the mirror, the water in the toilet was yellow, the bath towels smelled, there was a hole on the bathroom wall...Dust was everywhere and the glass tabletop located next to the bed was not wiped off and looked like someone ate something on it and did not clean up. We paid almost $150 for this room and we ended up sleeping in long sweatpants AND UNDER OUR OWN BLANKET as we were afraid to cover ourselves with the bedding provided. And since nobody ever got back to us about heating, we were cold throughout the night.
As we checked out, no staff member was there to talk to about our experience. When we finally found the owner's private number, she hung up on us, apparently irritated that we called her on Sunday. Well, if you're having guests pay $150 per night, you should understand that the type of business you're in requires that guests can get a hold of someone if there is a problem. Can you imagine lodging that has no staff on weekends?
It was a truly awful experience. We have traveled all over the U.S., Europe and the Midwest and never in our lives felt so disgusted by the condition of our accomodations.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank aewrobel

New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 March 2010

I had a really fantastic experience with Lander's House. We stayed in the Safari Suite, which was located in the main building. It was very quaint and so well decorated I almost felt like I was on safari! Apparently they used to serve breakfast, but they no longer do so--but we knew that in advance, so it wasn't a problem.

We were planning on arriving a little after 7 or 8pm, so they were kind enough to leave our keys (which, FYI, you must specially request, at least for the room we were in) and check-in information in an envelope for us downstairs; we had no problems. The employees were incredibly friendly and helpful--and they even called us after we'd left to tell us we forgotten a shirt. We spent the following afternoon hiking in Starved Rock State Park, which I highly recommend--especially in the winter.

Decently sized two-person jacuzzi, electric fireplace, great bed. Adorable fun things, like candles and hot chocolate mix. A little pricey, but it's really worth the experience. The bathroom was pretty small, but that wasn't really a problem. The only issue was that, at night, we could hear scampering from within the walls, but it wasn't really a big deal. Everything else was amazing. My only regret is that I didn't take a picture.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed 1 July 2008

Been to a lot of B&B's and this one is typical. 2 very old houses sided by side with newer outbuildings containing other suites. The original houses are in so so shape for structures this old. Grounds could use a little sprucing up.

Where this place shines however is in the interior decoration. Very well done with unique themes throughout the rooms. We stayed in the Safari Suite in the main house. Spacious room with a living area and jacuzzi, and separate queen sized bedroom. Very well decorated in a "theme" mode with lots of interesting detail. Comfortable bed and chairs, but not very good lighting. Besides the jacuzzi, there is a private bath that is very, very tiny. People with large frames may have trouble fitting into the shower.

Ideally located within walking distance of the shops and eating establishments of the tiny hamlet of Utica. About a mile from the entrance to Starved Rock Park, the main attraction of the area. Breakfast was OK with poached eggs.

An acceptable B&B, but way overpriced in my opinion. The theme rooms are unique, but not enough to justify the cost of a B&B in what amounts to a 1 horse town. More reasonably priced accomodations are available in the Lodge at Starved Rock Park. This area supports a lot of weekenders from Chicago who may be more used to paying such a steep rate, but still quite pricey for the value.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 August 2007

We recently stayed at Landers House B&B. The property has several rooms in the house and 4 cottages. Each of the cottages has a different theme. Ours was the Serengeti which was African/Safari themed with a faux thatched roof above the loft bedroom with skylights and touches like a leopard chair and zebra rug. There was also a wetbar with a refrigerator, a fireplace and a jacuzzi. It was the most unique and nicest places I have stayed.

It is well located in the small village of Utica (population of around 1,000). Utica is near Starved Rock State Park and the I&M Canal which has miles of walking trails. You are walking distance to the small downtown which has several bars, restaurants, shops and wineries. We ate at Duffy's both nights which is basic pub fare with a good beer selection.

Our cottage also had a screened in porch which was nice as it rained much of the weekend.

One note of caution, this is very high priced for a B&B, but as it was a special weekend, we were willing to splurge. The rate also includes breakfast delivered to your cottage. Everyone raves about the breakfasts. One day we had poached eggs which were probably good, although they are not my personal favorite. The next day it was a more continental breakfast.

There was a nice backyard at the property with a gazebo. The common are space in the main house was very nicely decorated and there were games and videos available for guest use.

I definitely look forward to the next time we want to splurge.

• Liked — The cottage and the location
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank mcd63
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort
Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center
Days Inn Oglesby/ Starved Rock
Best Western Oglesby Inn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Peru
Hampton Inn Ottawa Starved Rock Area

Been to Landers House? Share your experiences!