“Friendly staff, but ran down”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Ramada Vandalia

Ramada Vandalia
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Vandalia
Naperville, Illinois
“Friendly staff, but ran down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Our end of the hotel felt tattered and ran down. The hallway smelled like a thrift store. Our bedding smelled of mothballs. The room was spacious and ok. They could have done a better job cleaning the room. Not what I would have expected out of a Ramada. The breakfast was nasty. However, it was nice that they start serving early on the weekends too. We ended up having to troop out to the golden arches, which added to the already high price of the room.

The lack of an elevator was also a bad surprise.

The desk staff was friendly.

My sister has stayed at this location and says that they are in the process of remodeling and some parts of the motel are better than others. I guess we drew the short straw.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Manchester, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Preface: I booked the Ramada Inn in Vandalia, Illinois for two nights as part of a trip to visit my fiancee's family in the area. After browsing through one of those booklets you can find at the rest stops (don’t laugh, they can save you some money!) I got the room for $59 a night for Friday and Saturday nights, which I though was a great price.

Arrival: A. I arrived at 9pm; there was no one in line. The desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. I also noticed that you had the option to pay in cash; while I planned to use my card, I was pleased they offered this. We got a room on the second floor. Take note: there is no elevator in this hotel! This doesn’t bother me at all, but I can understand how it might inconvenience someone who has difficulty getting around. All in all, I was happy with my arrival experience.

Accommodations: A. It was your typical hotel room; the walls were pale yellow and green, the bathrooms in white. It had a flat screen TV with a pretty good channel selection, coffeemaker, fridge, iron and ironing board, full length mirror and microwave. Overall, a nice setup for the price I paid.

Cleanliness: I’d give it a B+. I did find a couple of stray hairs in the bathroom, but nothing too egregious. Speaking of the bathroom: it was in need of some TLC. Several stains, scuffs, small holes; it just generally looked like it had a lot of wear. Also, it had those thin, cheap towels that are generally despised by hotel guests. That being said, it was serviceable, and the shower had nice hot water with multiple positions for the shower head.

My Stay: A minor complaint: when you entered the hotel through one of the doors on the side of the building, there is no signage to tell you which direction your room is in. It’s not a big enough hotel for this to be a major issue, but it’s still annoying to barge around luggage in hand, peering down corridors to see if you are going the right way. Otherwise my stay was very pleasant. A couple other reviews on this site complained about noise from the interstate (and it IS very close to the highway) but I never heard a thing; I suspect if you are worried about this to request a room on the front side of the hotel. Everyone I talked to was courteous, the beds were comfortable enough and everything in the room was in working order.

Breakfast: C+. They mostly had what you’d expect, but little else. They had mini-doughnuts, bagels, toast, biscuits, sausage, three kinds of cereal, milk, juice, instant oatmeal and a waffle maker. It was good enough but nothing spectacular.

Extras: B. I didn’t get to use it, but they have a weight room, although it only consists of a weight tower/machine, one treadmill and a stair stepper. They also had a small pool which storms precluded us from trying. Still, it’s nice they have these amenities at this price.

Checkout: A. I was checked out quickly, and was charged what they said I would be charged.

Summary: I generally judge a hotel room based on expectations in relation to what I paid for the room. At $60 and night, I thought this hotel was a great deal. The rooms were well appointed for a Ramada and clean enough. True, the walls and fixtures showed some wear, but it wasn’t to the point that I would complain about. I enjoyed my stay there and would recommend it if you are looking for an affordable option while passing through Vandalia.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Upper sandusky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Very clean hotel, very nice pool, and Great Breakfasts. The TV had a nice selection of channels.
All items in room functioned. Close to downtown and the first Illinois State House. The desk host was great to work with and very friendly.

Room Tip: No restaurant in hotel but very nice breakfast. There is a nice ponderosa next door.