“They shouldn't attempt a brunch”
Review of Philly G's - CLOSED

Philly G's
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We've eaten here before and its always "pretty good" Not great, not bad. I picked this for Mother's Days because they have a very nice lunch menu, and the website said nothing about a brunch. Well, they did have a brunch which sounded promising, but totally fail flat.
They served all the standard fare. They even had hot dogs and fries. Do you know how gross old hot dogs look in old lukewarm water? Some things just don't belong on a buffet table. It looked really sick.
By time we got there, the actual buffet tables were a total mess. Food that had fallen all over. No one had cleaned anything up. Just totally unappealing. My son is a vegetarian and would not eat from the pasta station because it looked so dirty. He tried to order from the menu, but the kitchen wasn't open, so he ended up not eating, and yet we were charged for him.
They offered oysters on the half shell that looked like total rejects. We were afraid to them, even though they are a favorite of ours. Everything just fell short, and for less than what we paid, we could have had a better meal at a Golden Corral, or Old Country buffet. Yeah, it was that bad.
I will eat there again, but NEVER for a buffet.
Stick with what you do well. This was a total miss. I feel cheated.

1  Thank anthony w

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Philly G's is one of my favorite restaurants. They have a nice varied menu. Some of the appetizer choices actually make a nice entree if you are not a big eater. Some pastas are homemade. We just love the veal or steak or the pasta (and he is used to my homemade spaghetti sauce, so you know it is really good One of my stops if in town visiting my company's office. Been there many many times over the past several years and ahve had company dinners tere and never had one complaint. Great Job Philly G and Staff

Reviewed 9 April 2013

went here with a business colleague for a quick dinner on a weeknight. Knew nothing about the restaurant and thought it looked okay from the road.

Service - overall pretty good, kept our drinks full and brought everything on-time.

Decor - an old house with a glassed off porch-view to the outside. White cloth table service.

Food - got a green salad, green beans and Salmon filet. No complaints, everything done well.

Price - wow - $26/plate for each of us. One had a Salmon filet and the other a crusted chicken breast. I'm from Dallas-Fort Worth and could go to either city and find multiple good places with these same entrees for $10/plate less. To me - overpriced for what was rec'd.

2  Thank gravesbl
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Restraurant is 20 years outdated. From food to decor. Food is so bland. Is anything made from scratch ? Do they know how to use fresh herbs or fresh garlic ? Soup tastes like from a can. Tomato sauce tastes like from a jar. Skimpy portion on veal. Wasn't fresh. Probably worst dining experience that I've had in Lake county. Feel like I'm eating hospital food. Down to the cart that they wheel your food out in.

3  Thank Bill R
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Philly G's is one of our favorite restaurants. They have a nice varied menu. Some of the appetizer choices actually make a nice entree if you are not a big eater. Some pastas are homemade. My husband loves the veal chop, or steak or the pasta (and he is used to my homemade spaghetti sauce, so you know it is really good ). I am vegetarian and like that there are enough choices for me. Their minestrone soup is also yummy. The bar area is huge and a fun place to have a drink.