“Good food, suggest a reservation”
Review of Philly G's - CLOSED

Philly G's
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, American
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Chicago, Illinois
“Good food, suggest a reservation”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We've eaten at Philly Gs a couple of times and were never disappointed with the food. Food is great fresh bread is served with olive oil or butter, everything we've tried was nicely done. Service is also very good but would suggest reservations to avoid a wait or having to eat in the bar.

We also had a party here last year and they did a phenomenal job with a fairly large group.

My only suggestion for improvement is re the carts used to bring food to the tables. Didn't like that sides weren't covered when on the cart.

• Visited February 2014

Chicago
“Good overall”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My husband and I decided to stop for lunch as we had been here a couple years ago for a wedding. We had been impressed by the food at that time. It was a beautiful spring day so lunch on the sunny porch was delightful! Our waitress was great--very accommodating to our special requests. My husband had the chicken wrap which he loved and I had the Caprese sandwich. I was disappointed when my sandwich was served on cold ciabatta bread. The balsamic vinaigrette dressing, mozzarella and tomatoes were great but the cold bread just didn't work. The bread and olive oil they serve at the table was wonderful as was the cannoli we had for dessert. We will definitely try again maybe for dinner and try the pasta.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank ChicagoLia
Suburban Chicago
“Just okay”
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

We've been driving past this restaurant for years and finally made it inside. The initial impression of the entrance was almost enough for me to turn around. The stairs were covered with some very nasty carpet (granted the weather is snowy, but the entrance was a total turnoff). The hostess wasn't too happy to put us at another table when the first one she offered was not acceptable. Another thing that made this restaurant undesirable was the way the food was brought to the tables. It was wheeled to each table on very noisy carts making table conversation go up in volume to overcome the noise from the carts. Maybe it's different for dinner, but there was no ambiance. Now to the food--the food was good, but I'm afraid not so good that I need to go back again.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Janet L
Vernon Hills, Illinois
“Delicious homemade pastas and Italian entrees”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Philly G's atmosphere is lovely, especially at Christmas time. The food is consistently very good with homemade pastas and delicious veal entrees. the service is attentive but not instrusive.

• Visited December 2013
Mundelein
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, great service!!”
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I tried this place recently on a recommendation from friends.
If you like Italian food, like we do, you're good here.
He got shrimp scampi, huge shrimp, delicious sauce.
I like Eggplant Parm, but they have a dish which is basically eggplant Parm with meat! It's. rolled and stuffed with cheese and sausage and baked in meat sauce (with more cheese :))

Anyway, food was AWESOME, service fantastic (that's how my dish was suggested; from my server. I wouldn't have thought to order it otherwise)

The only sidenote is if you want to try this place on a Fri or Sat, make a reservation if you want a dining room table. The first time we tried was on a weekday, but when we tried to go back on a Saturday, they do take reservations, so a table was not available. We ended up eating at the bar, cause we were hungry.
Food and service was just as good tho :)

• Visited January 2014