“Disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Groups
Dining options: Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Deerpath/ Townline
Description: Silk Asian Tavern (formally Silk Mandarin) has always been synonymous with great Chinese cuisine. Silk Asian Tavern now provides a menu featuring traditional Chinese, Thai, Japanese and Korean dishes presented in a contemporary atmosphere and presentation.With two open kitchens dedicated to Sushi-Robota grilling and Wok cooking enjoy an entertaining opportunity to interact with the chefs as they create before your very eyes. With an extensive list of high and end sake's, wines, asian beers and SILKTINI's you are sure to walk away with a complete dining experience. Please visit our website at SILKASIANTAVERN.COM to learn more.
Chicago
1,300 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,170 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

My wife and I had dinner here. We were both quite disappointed as we expected much more. First of all it was very cold inside the restaurant. Secondly they were very slow in preparing the food.

For starters we ordered the Viet Spring Rolls and the Crab Rangoon. The Viet Spring Rolls were very boring and bland, some of the worst we have ever had. The Crab Rangoon were good but did not contain enough crabmeat and cheese. They were also a bit greasy. It took almost an hour before the food arrived.

For our main meal we ordered five different dishes. The Orange Style Beef was good but a bit boring. The Shredded Pork with Curd was very boring and bland. It was also dried out, as it was way overcooked. The Tempura Shrimp was good and was our favorite of the five dishes we ordered. The boneless Chicken was boring, bland, and dried out. The Red Pepper Fish Fillets (Catfish) was boring, bland and a bit mushy. They give you all of the rice you want.

Overall I do not expect this restaurant to be around long as the food is on the pricey side but very boring and bland. The Silk Asian Tavern is super slow in serving the food, some of the slowest my wife have encountered in the U.S. There are much better Asian restaurants in the area.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank WorldTravelers34

Lake Zurich,IL ( Chicago burb )
“Great Asian Food at affordable prices!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

This newly remodeled Restaurant ( Formerly called Silk Mandarin ) with new management offers a nice mix of traditional Chinese, Japanese,Thai and Korean delicacies. A great offering for a couple where one wants Design your own Chinese Dish ( select meat & style ) and many types Sushi. My wife and I really enjoyed our Saturday Night dinner. No rush from waiter, food came out on time-everything hot. I noticed that the Buffet had many delectable items!

Great selections and affordable prices
Japanese Beers on tap like Sapporo
Great homemade Chinese soups
Service was excellent
Nice upscale decor-very classy

• Visited November 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Chaotic Asian Con"Fusion"!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

We came here to have an authentic Chinese meal to find this place was more of a asian fusion style restaurant. Okay, we thought that's fine, we will give it a try. Well, there were too many waiters running around without proper direction. You can tell this place is under management that is unorganized. Our first waiter came quick to our table for drinks and appetizers, but didn't deliver all the drinks, and took a long time to come back to take our orders for the main course. Another waiter saw us looking around cluelessly and decided to take one for the team, and let us place our order with him. About 15 minutes later, the wrong drink finally arrived, and we waited 45 more minutes for our meals to come. After requesting the same item twice, with two different waiters, we still never received the item. As for the food quality, it was okay. The foods were not saucy enough to saturate your rice. You can tell that many of the waiters had good intentions to help, but as I mentioned the organization was off, and it wasn't even very busy, plus they seemed over staffed, which made no sense why there was such a wait and forgetfulness. Well, we don't live in the area, so we don't have to worry about coming back.

There prices were a little high as well for the quality of food.

My advice to management is to "get your workers to be more efficient"

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jennifer W
Twin Lakes, Wisconsin
“Really, really great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

I typically do not write reviews but I felt compelled to after going there today for lunch. Very, very good food. Food was fresh, hot and delicious! Wonderful variety, have nothing bad to say, honestly. Some of the buffet items were: sweet and sour chicken, noodles, white and fried rice, beef and squash, salad with sesame dressing, egg roll, crab ragoon, 2 kinds of soup, sushi, caramelized sweet potatoes, steamed fish, sesame fish, green beans, broccoli, chicken and peppers, shrimp and lobster melody, sesame balls……this is just what I remember, I know there was more. All of this for $10.00 and the soft drink was included.

The place was clean and well kept (freshly remodeled). This is by far a step up from your standard Asian buffet. I will definitely be back, thoroughly enjoyed lunch there.

• Visited November 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Great new restaurant in Vernon Hills”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

Have driven past this restaurant so many times but is always looked a bit dark and tired. Then a new sign went up so my husband and I went to try it - the sign alone made it look 100 times more appealing.

It has been taken over, the owner served us our food and explained they have been open whilst refurbishing it and hence there are still a few signs of work going on around the bathroom area but in the restaurant itself it is complete and looks lovely. They are due to officially open in the next week or so it must be very near to complete!

We were sat on a table for two and the only thing I would say is we were a little closer than I would have liked to have been to the people next to us and next time I would go for a booth.

However the food, drinks and service were amazing, you can pick any type or meat or fish to go in the dishes, they have a great range of Asian food from Sushi to Pad Thai to Mongolian Beef.

The Mai Tai I had was great (nice and strong!) and we had a sushi roll to start which was very authentic, Mongolian Beef and Sweet and Sour Pork. All the food was delicious, hot and fresh. We saw people around us with pot stickers, satay sticks and other mains which also looked lovely. Everything was reasonably priced and you could order half or full portions - although for some reason a half was slightly more expensive than half of a full portion price which didn't make sense?

One of the chefs was previously the executive chef at Japonais a lovely Japanese restaurant int the city.

I can't wait to go back again!

• Visited October 2012