“Texas Gal's Approval”

Real Urban Barbecue
Ranked #2 of 122 Restaurants in Vernon Hills
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Real Urban Barbecue has four Chicagoland locations in Downtown Highland Park (610 Central Ave. #177), Vernon Hills (1260 S. Milwaukee Ave.), Oak Brook (2119 Clearwater Drive) and Skokie, IL (5328 W. Touhy Ave). Real Urban Barbecue specializes in dine in, carryout, and private or corporate catering. Their menu features homemade BBQ sauce and slow-smoked items like their famous burnt ends, award winning ribs, pulled pork, turkey, brisket and chicken, all slowly rotated on 11 Cookshack smokers capable of smoking 12,000 pounds of meat daily. RUB also offers sandwiches, fresh salads, comfort sides… And come for the barbecue, stay for the dessert! Real Urban Barbecue has recently expanded their spread of baked goods to satisfy your sweet tooth courtesy of the Real Urban Bakery.
Chicago, Illinois
“Texas Gal's Approval”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I am a native Texas so I know my barbecue and this place is pretty good. I enjoy their sausage, their brisket isn't as good as what I have had in Texas but comes close, their burnt ends used to be one of my favorites but the last couple of times I went there, they were more like chunks of pot roast and weren't true burnt ends (missing the carmelized bbq sauce). I think that the quality of the food has gone down a bit since I first started coming here but it is still good enough to continue to return. The sides are ok, I like their baked beans, their sweet potatoes are good and their creamed spinach is delicious. The pickles are very good and I love that when you buy a mason jar drink, you can bring back the jar every time and get free refills.. Overall I am pretty pleased with this place and eat here quite frequently to get my BBQ fix. It isn't spectacular but pretty decent and much closer to my home than Smoque so it makes it much more convenient.

• Visited May 2014

Iowa City, Iowa
“I wanted it to be great”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

As a fan of BBQ, I wanted another local place for some great food. I went on Memorial Day and the place was packed! I love busy restaurants, normally a sign of great things too come. I ordered the combo meal with choice of 3 meats. I got the pulled pork, brisket and ribs. With the combo meal you get a choice of two sides. I chose the Mac and Cheese along with the coleslaw.

The plate looked great, so I found a table by the window and sat down to have a great BBQ dinner. I was disappointed from the first bite. The brisket tasted as though it was boiled until all the flavor was gone. I tried the pulled pork, same thing. The ribs were no better. Nothing stood out with the two sides. The coleslaw was bland and the Mac and Cheese was nothing to brag about. I was very hungry and half way through, I just gave up, it was not going to get any better.

The inside of the place is really cool, the staff was friendly and the restaurant was very clean.

5 stars for the atmosphere
4 stars for the staff (it is cafeteria style)
1 star for the food.

Visited May 2014
Fort Mill, South Carolina
“Little BBQ is plenty”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The little BBQ buns/meat were plenty for us, eating just one. A good variety of sauce. Note - if you like unsweet ice tea, you can ask for a cup and not buy the mason jar.

Visited May 2014
Northbrook, Illinois
“Best BBQ in the northern suburbs!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is by far the best bbq place in the northern suburbs of Chicago. Love eating here and my older kids crave this place from time to time. Not cheap, but not a sit-down wait staff tip needed place, either. If you haven't had RUB, then you must try it to see for yourself. This is no imitation bbq place--it's the real deal. The burnt ends are are great choice--probably their specialty--just basically rib ends that are all meat chunks on your plate. How can you beat that? Great sauce choices, too, and usually a specialty sauce every so often is offered, too. Simply put...go there!

• Visited March 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The best BBQ ever. Everything on the menu is fantastic. I love the BBQ nachos and sweet tea. The staff is always great and I have never been disappointed here. I feel that this place could give Texas a run for its money! Keep up the good work!

• Visited April 2014