“NOT impressed”

Real Urban Barbecue
Ranked #2 of 122 Restaurants in Vernon Hills
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Real Urban Barbecue has four Chicagoland locations in Downtown Highland Park (610 Central Ave. #177), Vernon Hills (1260 S. Milwaukee Ave.), Oak Brook (2119 Clearwater Drive) and Skokie, IL (5328 W. Touhy Ave). Real Urban Barbecue specializes in dine in, carryout, and private or corporate catering. Their menu features homemade BBQ sauce and slow-smoked items like their famous burnt ends, award winning ribs, pulled pork, turkey, brisket and chicken, all slowly rotated on 11 Cookshack smokers capable of smoking 12,000 pounds of meat daily. RUB also offers sandwiches, fresh salads, comfort sides… And come for the barbecue, stay for the dessert! Real Urban Barbecue has recently expanded their spread of baked goods to satisfy your sweet tooth courtesy of the Real Urban Bakery.
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The first impression was unfriendly - no greeting when you walk in, it was not crowded so yes they realized a customer had come in .. as we stood awarkdly in place to order we were ignored until we finally asked it that was where we ordered, we had questions and the answers were given reluctantly. The women by the sides appeared "put upon" when asked something, like we were bothering her, she was very soft spoken and appeared to get mad when we had to ask her to repeat herself a couple of times due to my husbands trouble hearing. The food was "ok" at best, DO NOT order the brussel sprouts, they looked amazing but were lukewarm pieces of waxy tasting grease. I do have the say the pulled pork was lean and the sauce great. The "lemonade" (I use that term very loosely) was warm water with a slight hint of lemon taste. Overall I thought it was rather pricey - $24 for lunch - 2 mini sandwiches with 2 sides each (a $4.29 add on) as well as 2 small sodas.
I can say we tried it but don't plan on returning.

There are newer reviews for Real Urban Barbecue

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We have been going to both locations (also one in Highland Park) for the past couple of years and had a great experience everytime. We always get the 1/2 chicken, bread and butter pickles, cole slaw, great potato salad, and sweet potatos with marshmellows on top. The dessert brownies and moon pie are good as well. We bought their mason jars for drinks that can be replenished for free every time we come. We go about once a week, its that good.

1  Thank Joan G
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We have been going to the Real Urban Barbecue since it first opened and have never been disappointed. My wife and I finally figured out what for us is the best way to order.
First we order a full slab of Baby Back Ribs ...rub only. We add our favorite sauce or the special sauce "by the check out" as we're enjoying our meal. Then we order one of two mini brisket sandwiches. If you think the ribs are great, wait until you try the brisket ... it's the best !
Then we order two sides. Usually we order two potato pancakes with apple sauce and an order of Sugar Biscuits. The sugar biscuits remind me of the beignets at Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans. Different but close enough. What a meal.

Actually there have been times we just ordered two full brisket sandwiches with a side. If you like brisket, you'll love the brisket at Real Urban Barbecue.

Evenings it can get very busy. Best to go early to avoid the rush.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My son-in-law stopped in for lunch while pedaling along the Des Plaines River trail. The food, the service and atmosphere were all very good. I will definitely will go back.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I wanted to find a decent take out place so I could take my sister and her family dinner while visiting from out of town. She said this was their favorite place. I couldn't believe how quick I was in and out. The burnt ends and pulled pork were great. I liked the variety of sauces and the beans were really good. Skip the cole slaw as it has no flavor.