“Friendly service, decent food”
Review of Bo-Bo's Gyros

Bo-Bo's Gyros
Ranked #69 of 121 Restaurants in Vernon Hills
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Michigan
“Friendly service, decent food”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We ordered from Bo-Bo's in March 2013 and had food delivered the next day for a lunchtime meeting. Gus is wonderful at customer service, but the food was just average. Gus made sure that everything we ordered was there exactly on time, and he even followed up with a phone call after lunch to make sure that everything was acceptable. The follow-up phone call was a nice surprise. Not many places would bother.

The food was okay--not nasty but not spectacular either. Portions were average-sized. Two people had ordered chicken gyros with honey mustard, and both commented on how there was almost no taste to the honey mustard. The chicken itself tasted okay, and plenty of the sauce made it stay moist, but the overall sandwich was very bland. The people who had ordered regular gyros all commented that their food was okay. We didn't have any complaints from them, although no one ranted about how good their food was either. The two people who ordered vanilla malts (not surprisingly!) were happy with their malts.

We had tried to place our order online, but the prices of some items through the online ordering page on their web site were higher than the menu prices, and you couldn't order certain things (such as an upgrade to a shake with a combo meal). We wound up ordering by fax, which went very well. I give Gus a rating of 5 for his efforts in customer service, but the quality of the food and the inability to order online without issues brings the overall rating down to just a 3 (average). With the focus Gus put on our order, I think they could make some small improvements that would bring them into a better-than-average category. Just adding a decent amount of mustard to the honey mustard sauce would have helped. If I could nominate a place for the show Restaurant Impossible, this might be it. Lots of potential there, but they're falling short and probably not drawing the repeat business that they would like.

• Visited March 2013

Vernon Hills, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“awesome”
Reviewed 28 February 2013

A witch's review ? No wonder she has no tasty.

I have been taking my family to Bo-Bo's since my kids

we just old enough to walk.

we love the place.they have a something for the whole family.

I love the italian beef ,my wife wont eat gyros anywhere else.

The kids love the ribs ,burgers ,and that superman ice cream.

I stop in sometimes just to get one of the thick shakes.

Hey ,hey thank god for Bobos!!!!!!!!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank george a
oz
“DREADFUL”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Had been to this place last year and it wasn't bad however things were not that way today. If you ever go somewhere for lunch during lunch hours and you are almost the only people there LET THAT BE YOUR SIGN ! The beef sandwich was so greasy that it had a visible oil slick on it and the beef was nasty very very tough. While looking at the ice cream at the fountain almost every one had a ice cap on top not looking too fresh today. They also had plates of food on the counter to show you what the specials were for the day. When I say on the counter I mean on the counter where you order , unwrapped. I found that rather gross , either put some plastic wrap on it or put it behind glass not out in the open on the counter.If you like hole in the wall substandard food then help yourself , I for one will never be back bo bo no no

• Visited February 2013
Libertyville
“Great 50's athmosphere and great food”
Reviewed 20 December 2012

The owner, Gus, takes great effort in constantly improving the restaurant. The 50s decor with appropriate music is nostalgic. We love to go there alone and with the grand children.

Gus has a neighborly attitude and is good with conversation served with appropriate humor. We have been going there for many years and still enjoy the fresh food, athmosphere, ice cream, specials, and warm hospitality.

The outdoor seating is very pleasant in the open courtyard. Seconds on drinks are a deal at 25c for a large cup.

A good variety of salads are served with chicken or Kronos Gyros (the best). I personally like the onion rings which are better than any other local restaurant.

Try it, you will like it.

• Visited December 2012
Vernon Hills, IL
“Great place for a gyros.”
Reviewed 30 November 2012 via mobile

If you are looking for a great gyros and fries, or Greek style chicken, this is the place to go. Friendly atmosphere along with good food equals a place worth visiting.