“Can't say enough, one of the best hotels we have stayed at.....”

Hotel Indigo Chicago - Vernon Hills
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Vernon Hills
suburbs of indy
“Can't say enough, one of the best hotels we have stayed at.....”
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Our three girls' basektball teams were in town for a Jr. Nationals' basketball tourney and arranged our accomodations through Hotelplanners.com and checking reviews here on tripadvisor as always. We reserved 3 nights at this FABULOUS hotel in the best location. Our games were in Libertyville and Waukegan and we got a great price. The rooms are HUGE! I had 3 girls plus myself in our room and had kids coming and going and it was never croweded. The beds were nice and comfy as well. Each room has a flat screen tv and we had a refrigerator as well. The staff were so nice, the pool was perfect for the after game dip and the area had so much to offer. There was a post saying the police were called on them, I can only guess they were EXTREMELY loud late at night in the common area. They gave us an entire floor to ourselves and could not hear the rooms above, below or beside. I would recommend this hotel for sports teams if you know how to control yourselves and kids and act as adults and or mature individuals. Oh and pictures online are true to form.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 25 July 2011

My family and I stayed there recently. The staff was warm and friendly, the rooms clean, and everything was just what I would want in a hotel. I would highly recommend this location to others and will definitely return in the future. I slept like a dream and it was one of the nicest hotels I've been to!

1 Thank vTenebrae
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Two of our lacrosse teams used this hotel during a lax festival recently. Management and staff were incredibly uptight, rigid and unwelcoming during our entire stay. The icing on the cake was when they called the police (6 officers total arrived) on Saturday night because about two to three dozen of our parents were in the bar area conversing and enjoying the evening. No one was out of hand, inebriated, unduly loud or obnoxious. We were all just talking in conversational tones. They punished us for the horrible mistake of their architects in making the bar a very open space right off the front desk area with terrible acoustics. We were shocked and astounded that they would treat paying customers (20+ rooms and the bar and food tabs) in such an inhospitable manner. It was degrading to many of us. We were not misbehaving in any manner. If the acoustics were making it too loud for some of their first floor tenants, they should have moved us into an adjoining small banquet room, or found some other solution rather than treating law-abiding, respected and professional citizens as criminals. My family and I make frequent trips and hotel stays, either with sports teams or on our own. I can honestly say this is the worst we have ever been treated by management in the hospitality industry. It was so offensive and reeked of horrible business sense. Never again will we stay in this hotel. Never.

2 Thank curlz83
HotelIndigoVH, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago - Vernon Hills, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We very much value your business. We understand that celebrating and visiting with friends is an important part of attending tournaments. We definitely want the teams and families to enjoy their stay. It was not our intent to limit the amount of fun, just the noise level. Several rooms are located on the first floor close to the lobby and restaurant areas; therefore guests occupying those rooms were complaining and demanding the noise to cease.

The action that the Manager on Duty felt was necessary to handle the situation will be reviewed. It is feedback from our guests that allows us the opportunity to grow and learn from the situations we encounter.

Again, thank you reviewing the Hotel Indigo.

Michaelene Guerrieri-Turner
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We stayed 3 nights for a Great Lakes Navy graduation, and the room was nearly perfect for our purposes. The large couch and living room area were very nice. The only slight annoyances in the room were the half glass/half curtain shower and the noisy air conditioner right by the bed, as already mentioned in another review. Overall, those things did not matter at all and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is in an office park area great for walking at night, and is near a theatre and many restaurants and stores.

1 Thank tolandowski
London, UK
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I stayed here on a room only basis for one night in June 2011.

Upon approaching the hotel, I found that the outside area was well landscaped, with a pretty water feature. However, the lobby was a bit small and certainly did not give me the impression of being a boutique hotel. The check-in staff was efficient and polite but there was nothing special or outstanding as you would expect from a boutique hotel.

The room itself was spacious, with a separate sitting area with a comfy chair and coffee table. There was also a desk to work on, which I appreciated very much. The bed was very comfortable and I certainly had a very good night sleep. There were at least 10 pillows ! I agree with previous comments about noisy A/C but I managed to sleep as I was very tired after the transatlantic flight.

The bathroom is small, with a long shower tray but no bath. The bathroom products were from Aveda, which were very nice. Again, I agree that the sink was too shallow and splashed everywhere when I used it. There was an empty mini-fridge which I like as I do not generally use the over-priced minibar in hotels anyway. The iron and board were very handy especially for business travellers like myself. There was free wifi in the room and the connection was good.

Overall, a very comfortable business hotel but definitely not one that I would call boutique.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 24 June 2011

Based on room only, I would give this hotel 3.5 stars, but the service pushes it up to 4.

Pros:
1. Front desk staff was extremely courteous and quick with my check-in. She arranged a taxi for us for the next day, and was kind and friendly the whole time. Whoever was at the desk greeted me as I entered and exited the hotel, and check-out was quick with a smile.
2. Room was very clean and spacious, with a separate sitting area with a flat screen TV. The design of the interior was modern and chic, without being over the top. The room looks just like the pictures the hotel has on the site!
3. King bed was comfortable with crisp, clean linens, and plush pillows.
4. Plenty of lamps in the room with the power outlet on the bases of them, which made for convenient plugging of my chargers, and being able to charge the laptop while using it on the bed.
5. Wi-fi was complimentary and good speed.

Cons:
1. A/C unit was right by the bed and too loud to sleep with it on. I constantly got out of bed to turn it on when it got stuffy and turn it off when I couldn't sleep with the noise.
2. Bathroom is on the small side. The shower divider is half glass and half curtain, but with the knob being on the glass side, I had no way but to enter the shower then turn it on while trying to avoid the cold water until it heated up. And I didn't like having to lift a heavy object (the wooden bench) out of the shower.
3. Yes, the sink is very shallow and the water would splash onto your belongings on the countertop.

In general, I thought it was a good value and a comfortable stay. I will consider this hotel again when I'm in the area for a short stay, but maybe not during the summer or the winter when I need the A/C or the heater at night. A good night's sleep is very important in choosing a hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your positive comments and feedback regarding your stay.

Your comments will be shared with the management team and staff.

We wish you safe travels and hope to see you in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 June 2011

This was actually our third visit to the Indigo Vernon Hills, we come here every year to stay overnight (or sometimes two nights) during a soccer tournament.

The hotel is boutique but not pretentious like other boutique hotels I've stayed at (I'm looking at you, W). Check in has always been easy, and the staff are friendly. It's easy to get around, nothing is too far away in the building.

The lobby is small, the business center is a nook, and the in-hotel cafe has a limited menu. In my opinion, the bar is huge compared to the restaurant. When I stay here, those factors are not important to my stay, so I'm quite satisfied... others should be aware of the limited menu choices and be prepared to eat what they have, or off site.

The pool is great, temps were always just right. On our stay last year, the pool was way over-chlorinated, but this year it was better. Towels were always available and the pool hours accommodate families who want to take a dip after dinner but before bedtime (open until 11:00 PM). No whirlpool.

The rooms are definitely interesting. Hardwood floors are a nice touch, and the decor is different than most hotels. The Studio Suite includes two beds and a fold-out, which (along with the price) is the best feature of this property. Their Studio Suite will hold a family of five (like mine) comfortably, and at just a bit more than a hundred bucks a night, it's a comfortable bargain. I've stayed at lots of ICH properties, around the world, and $100 / night for a family of five is the best value I've ever seen.

Rooms, lobby and pool - all clean the entire time we stayed, no issues, and everything (except as noted below) worked.

The only bummer during our stay this month was that the ice machine on our floor was out of ice for our entire stay.

Room Tip: Tip: The Studio Suite is large and a great value.