“Not as good as they claim to be”
Review of The Lotus Suites

The Lotus Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wadsworth
Ohio
“Not as good as they claim to be”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This hotel is in desperate need of repair and updates. Rooms show definite signs of wear and have seen better days. Our room smelled musty and very smoky. Entry keys needed be re-coded every day, they told us that the keys are sensitive to magnetic fields and cell phones, but this has never happened to us at other hotels. Room A/C was very loud and made it difficult to sleep. Fitness equipment was broken and didn’t work. When you can get in due to the broken door, the pool is way too small for the amount of people at this hotel and too cold to swim. The Breakfast was poor and understaffed. The quality wasn't worth what we paid for the room. Service was severely lacking as it took 2 days to get me a do not disturb sign for the door. Nothing worse than getting an early morning wake up knock from the maid who wants to clean your room. Do not stay here unless you can get super deal or just do not care about quality. We were very disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Wayland, IA
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel which is no longer a Hawthorne Suites but a Lotus Suites for a wedding. The wedding happened to coincide with our 10th anniversary which I mentioned to the person when I called to confirm our reservation hoping for a little special treatment. When we went to check in, we didn't receive any special treatment and in order to be put near the other wedding guests had to go from a King bed to a Queen....not a huge deal but definitely not going above and beyond. We had a terrible time finding the hotel...our own fault since we came in a different direction than what we had printed off....but it's still not an overly easy place to find. The rooms were ok...nothing special. They did have some good space which is a plus. I did notice a bug in my room and an earwig in bathroom of the Presidential suite where the bride and groom were staying. That was gross. You would think they would make sure that room was at least cleaned. We did not have any shampoo/conditioner/body wash. We were only given bar soap so good thing we had packed some. We don't always do that for quick trips. I read another review about subpar breakfast and I would have to agree. I did not attempt anything other than the make your own waffle which was good. The eggs looked awful as did the biscuits (which were hard and crumbly) and the gravy. The ice machine on our floor was broken as was the blow dryer in the room. I did call down to the front desk and maintenance brought another one up about 15 minutes later. I think if you are attending a wedding on the grounds it's a convenient place to stay. If not, I would say look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I attended a wedding at the Midlane Golf Resort and stayed two nights at the Lotus Suites/Hawthorn Suites that was attached. This hotel was very subpar. The room was decent, but upon arriving into the room the first thing I noticed was a nasty earwig bug! Gross! The room was set up nicely with the bed in a separate room and a couch, TV, and kitchenette in the living room. The first morning I was there, I went down to their free breakfast. All I have to say about that is DISGUSTING!!!! Was it real food?? The sausage looked like fat patties, the only fruit they had was watermelon, and the eggs were like omelets but had nothing in them and had the texture of foam. The sausage was so greasy they had to put pieces of bread underneath to soak it all up. That morning I didn't get down there until 9:30 am; breakfast ended at 10 am. However, they weren't bringing anymore food out besides the nasty sausage. There had been sausage biscuits and gravy, but they decided not to refill any of that. Would it have been any better?? Probably not. The breakfast wasn't any different the next morning...same old stuff. I basically had coffee for breakfast both mornings. They need some major help with the breakfast department. I would recommend that they do a continental breakfast rather then a hot one. AND if they are going to give a free breakfast, at least make it edible. Another con was that every vending machine and ice machine was out of order in the hotel; you had to go up to the desk and ask for what you needed. In addition, the elevator repeatedly broke. One of the wedding guests got stuck in the elevator the day of the wedding! So, the bride had to take the stairs from the third floor in her dress! Ugh! I wouldn't recommend this facility.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sandjaug09
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My husband, mother and I attended a wedding and stayed 2 nights at this hotel. The rooms are large, clean and have a mini fridge and wet bar.
It's a nice, quiet location, and the beds are comfortable.
The only complaint I can list, is the room could use new carpet, but otherwise was very satisfactory. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful.
There is also an indoor pool and hot tub, which is very nice. The complimentary breakfast was good, and there was a lot of food options.
If you are in town for dinner, you should check out the Shanty. It was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, and the food was awesome. I recommend the Whiskey Shrimp. Yum!

2 Thank cnj98
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We found this hotel using Hotwire, we want something near Six Flags Great America but not really expensive. We really expected something different but to our surprise, the hotel was really accommodating:

1. The 1 bedroom room has a sofa/bed in the 'living' room with 2 LCD TV's, one on the room and the other in the 'living' room, so you can leave the kids out of the room if you want some privacy.
2. The room has a small fridge, a microwave, a dinner table for 4, a sink, coffee machine, 2 air conditioners, a small coat area, and a few cabinets for food storage.
3. The bathroom has separate vanity and bathtub/toilet areas, so you can get ready while other take a bath.
4. The outside was really appealing with a gulf court right on the back.
5. The gym is one of the few I had seen that had weights, along cardio machines.
6. The indoor pool is small but adequate and they have a hot tub next to it. The weekend we stay the pool thermostat was defective and the water was ice cold but the manager told another guest he will take care of it immediately. I just wished they did fix the issue during the weekend so we can use it after a day in Six Flags.
7. The rooms are quiet and clean but the overall carpet of the building needs replacement. Wall paper is old, but ok.
8. The included breakfast was average and it will be removed prior 10:00 AM, so you need to be there at least at 9:20 AM.
9. Close to Six Flags, Walmart, Shopping Centers, and food.
10. They bake cookies and share without cost during the afternoons.
11. They have a book exchange area where you can leave any book and take another for free.
12. They have 2 grills outside if you want to cook for the family.
13. They do offer free rides to some locations.
14. The main street is being expanded to accomodate 4 lanes in a near future, this may be an inconvenient for some.

In overall, great location, outstanding price, and a great find!

Downside:
The only complain I had is in regards the manager. One of the cleaning employees seems to have some discrepancies with her hours and was requesting an adjustment and the manager was yelling at her in front of me. I was waiting to get the directions to their business center to book another hotel and continue the family trip and he responded rude when I ask. Also, during checkout I asked him for a printed receipt and he told me that I can print it online. As a paying customer, I did expect something better from management. However, the hotel in overall was a great find and I do recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Great find! 3 room size options available: studio, 1 or 2 bed rooms with door for added privacy. Bet...
Colona, Illinois
Reviewed 8 July 2013

this is decent hotel, very spacious rooms. My husband, myself, and our 2 kids stayed here. it was nice to have the small fridge, sink, and microwave. the carpet could need replacing and the bathroom was pretty small, but overall the room was big, which is nice for a family of 4. the breakfast was good and the staff was nice. we booked 2 nights through hotwire and 1 night directly through them and there was no problem with us staying in the same room. very convenient to six flags and the mall. overall we did like this hotel.

Lakeville, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Nice quiet location - away from the traffic and congestion by Great America and Gurnee Outlet Mall - but still very convenient, easy drive to those attractions. Beautiful setting on golf course. Room was very clean and very large. Everything about the facility was awesome. Grandkids came and used the very spacious, clean and WARM pool. Had great time. Whirlpool was working. (Which it doesn't work at other hotels down by Great America that we have stayed at in the past.)

But the best part of this hotel is the incredibly helpful staff! They go above and beyond in making your stay perfect. For example, I slept in and didn't get down to the breakfast area until 9:45 and it was to close at 10:00. To my initial dismay, all the items had already been cleaned up. My face must have shown my disappointment. But the staff hostess, said "NO PROBLEM". She went in the back and made me fresh eggs, sausage and breakfast potatoes! I really didn't expect her to do that. She made sure I had everything I wanted for breakfast and it was delicious. The front desk staff was equally helpful and friendly. (The fresh cookies at the front desk are a nice touch too.) They met my every need -- including finding a plastic bag for wet swim suit and bringing a recliner into my room for my specific medical needs. Very impressed by every staff person we encountered!

We stay in this area frequently when we come down to visit the grandsons (5 boys in same famiy) for our peace and quiet get-a-way. But, while our son had his wedding reception here at Midlane, we had never actually stayed at the hotel before. We found a great Hotwire rate for this stay and we have now found our new Favorite hotel. This is Way, Way better than the other 2 1/2 and 3 star hotels in Gurnee area!!! Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank bogiegramma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wadsworth
Baymont Inn & Suites Gurnee
The Inn at Market Square
The Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center, BW Premier Collection
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Comfort Inn Gurnee
Comfort Inn Gurnee
#2 of 11 in Gurnee

Been to The Lotus Suites? Share your experiences!