“Good for the Price”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wadsworth
A TripAdvisor Member
“Good for the Price”
Reviewed 4 July 2006

I have stayed in this hotel many times over the past few years. Initially, I loved it. The service was solicitious of my comfort and worked hard to accomodate all my needs. For example, I stayed for business, and couldn't often stay for the breakfast. The night clerk went out of her way to make sure I had something--oatmeal, fruit, juice, etc. to take with me. I also loved the syrups available for the 24 hour coffee available in the lobby. I stayed in a studio, and never felt the room was too small or the bed uncomfortable.

Over the past couple of years, I've noticed some subtle changes, and not for the better. At one time, I would have given the hotel the highest rating possible. Then, they removed the syrups a couple of years ago, and while they replaced them with french vanilla and regular creamers, I just don't have the same fondness.for them. The last time I stayed, having arrived there after a snowstorm, they shut down breakfast 30 minutes early. They apologized and scrambled to make accomodation, but if they'd just stayed open, or would have called me to find out if I were coming down to breakfast, this could have been avoided. Also, I'm not familiar with this area, needed to take a cab back to my place of business, and needed one that could take a credit card.It was only after I pleaded that they made the calls to the cab companies for me. Perhaps it was just a bad or stressful day, but I felt that type of service should have been a given, not a privilege. While I would have rated this an outstanding hotel at one time, it is still an above average stay, clean, and worthwhile. If they worked on a couple of these issues, it could be back up to excellent.

• Stayed January 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
MidlaneHawthorn, Director of Sales at The Lotus Suites, responded to this review, 23 February 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

I apologize for your past experience, we have been under new ownership and management since 2008.

I assure you that your next stay will be pleasant. We have our breakfast hours from 6.30 to 9.00 on weekdays and 7.00 to 10.00 on weekends.

We have made a lot changes and upgrades since your stay in 2006 and it would be our pleasure to have you stay with us during your next visit.

Jeshal Sheth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed 21 March 2006

I made my reservation online at the Hawthorn suites website. I had a confirmation number and everything but when I got to the hotel the attendant couldn't find my reservation. He told me that there were rooms anyway and that he'd checked me in. He convinced me that I'd made reservations at the Hawthorn Suites in Vernon Hills by mistake. I called the Hyatt Passport customer service and the Hawthorn suites reservations and no one could find my reservation. In fact they said that they don't handle reservations at this location anymore (huh?).

I brought groceries and pizza and everything so I needed a full kitchen. The attendant first checked us into a studio suite but I'd reserved a 1 bedroom. He checked us into a 1 bedroom after waiting but it still didn't have a full kitchen. He proceeded to check us into a 2 bedroom with a full kitchen for the studio suite price. The dishwasher was broken and the bedrooms are quite small. There were not all the kitchen utensils to work with like at other full kitchen suite areas like a pizza cutter and cutting board.

I decided to stay at the hotel and asked the manager if I could keep the same room at the same rate and she said that I couldn't. Well we decided to downgrade to the one bedroom. It is nice but once again the bedroom was small. There is a small refrigerator and a microwave oven and a lot of cabinets and counter space with a sink. However the handle on the toilet broke. I notified the attendant and she sent someone in to fix it. Breakfast was meagre and not like the embassy suites or homewood suites and it didn't change from day to day. I told the attendant when I would be checking out and I even asked if I would be paying the same rate. She said that I would but when I checked out I was only given the reduced rate for my trouble for two nights and I was given the rack rate for the third night though I was promised something different.
I might probably return to this hotel but not right away. The ballrooms are beautiful and the pool area is nice. There is going to be a nice indoor waterpark soon. I was very comfortable and near the outlet malls and Wisconsin but I was very disappointed in the rooms, the breakfast, and the check in/check out experience--billing.

3 Thank LorettaDN
Dear Madam,

I apologize for the inconvenience you faced during your stay back in 2006. However, we have a new ownership and management since 2008 and we can assure you if you do decide to stay at our hotel again you will have a great check in and check out experience and you reservation will not be misplaced.

With regards to the kitchenette suites, we currently only have our one bedroom suites and two bedroom suites equipped with them. While making reservations please emphasize your need for kitchenettes.

Once again I do apologize for your sour experience and it will be our pleasure if you stay with us in the future. Please email me at dos.wadsworthil@hawthorn.com for your next reservation and I will make sure you will recieve the best value.

Jeshal Sheth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wadsworth
The Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center, BW Premier Collection
The Inn at Market Square
Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee
Baymont Inn & Suites Gurnee
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Zion
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gurnee

Been to The Lotus Suites? Share your experiences!