“Monkey Business”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Punta Uva
The Toucan Stay Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Punta Uva B&B and Inns
Fulton, New York
“Monkey Business”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

It's incredible what a beautiful setting and inspiration can render. The accommodations were great and the morning shenanigans were wonderful. We happened to be staying the day of the host's birthday. You can tell the character of a person by the friends that support them. We were welcomed to join in the birthday party that evening. Well a plethora of admirers gathered to honor Jon. It was his 6_ birthday. People brought guitars, drums and even a Karaoke company showed up. Many brought covered dishes and Mabell "Jons wife", baked a cake. It turned out to be an awesome combination of live performances, oldies, sing alongs and sharing. We just have to book the same time next year to see what the community comes up with next! BTW Jon has an awesome voice. You might nudge a song from him over breakfast!

Room Tip: Just take the first room available! Hint!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stephen B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I stayed at the Toucan Stay Inn earlier this summer and the entire experience was absolutely wonderful! My room, a suite named "Jose," was clean, comfortable, and spacious. While all of the rooms are furnished with an A/C unit, I found that using the fan at night and a shady hammock during the day was more than adequte as a cooling mechanism. The grounds of the Toucan Stay Inn were lush, colorful, and brimming with life. I enjoyed prowling the backyard in search of exotic insects and tropical critters to photograph, and I had to resist the overwhelming urge to take the cute sloth lounging about on the fence home with me!

As for the surrounding area, Punta Uva beach is literally a three minute walk from the Toucan Stay Inn. The beach is absolutely stunning, but the best part about it is the feeling of tranquility that it elicits. Imagine visiting a pristine beach featuring golden brown sand and jewel-toned waters, hidden behind a luscious jungle of palm trees . . . now imagine having it all to yourself without any annoying tourists in sight! On the weekdays, Punta Uva was practically empty. I would walk the entire span of the beach without encountering more than the occasional beachgoer. It is the pefect place to soak up some sun, listen to the waves, and forget about your hectic life back home. One suggestion of note - bring plenty of sunscreen or you will burn to a crisp like me!

Having spoken about the beach and the state of the Toucan Stay Inn, it is time to address one of the most important perks of staying at this quaint B&B . . . the owner "Uncle" Jon! Jon was an amazing host. Since I was traveling alone and there were no other guests at the Toucan Stay Inn at the time, Jon essentially adopted me for the week. He recommended great local places to eat at, scheduled all my outdoor excursions, furnished tasty snacks and libations, introduced me to the resident expats, and chauffeured me around after dark. Jon is also a pretty decent chef. Breakfast was always delicious and consisted of such delicacies as pancakes, french toast, eggs made your way, fresh fruit, and granola. (Trust me, you will never look at the grocery store fruit the same way again after you sample Costa Rica's fresh fruits and juices!) He also makes a mean lasagna. Furthermore, if you lend him an ear, Jon is more than willing to entertain you with his vast repertoire of life exeriences and stories.

Overall, I had a fabulous time at the Toucan Stay Inn. It was a relaxing vacation completely different from anything I had experiened hitherto. Thank you so much Jon!

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Passport_Junkie22
PuntaUvaJon, Owner at The Toucan Stay Inn, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
What a lovely review...Thank You. Needless to say, I'm thrilled with your comments....and, of course, it was my pleasure to share ideas, restaurants, tours, friends, and this little "paradise" with you. Come Back Soon...Pura Vida!!!
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My husband and I originally made our reservation for 3 days thinking we'd start at Punta Uva and then travel back through the rest of Costa Rica. After 3 days we were smitten, and ended up spending our entire vacation at the Toucan Stay Inn. The rooms were immaculately clean and air conditioned, and the water was hot. There was nary a mosquito or creepy crawly inside our room for the entire stay, and we (and our possessions) felt completely safe.

The beach at the end of the lane is the *best* swimming beach in the entire area, we were there every single day.

I can't say enough how lovely John and Mabel were. John was an enormous help when we first arrived feeling more than a little lost and overwhelmed. Great recommendations for food and activities, and both went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we could possibly need.

Pro-tip: Take John up on his offer to set you up with hammocks at the beach on the other side of the point. It's absolutely paradise.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica L
Jessica and Rob...

How nice of you to spend you entire vacation with us...to go from 3 nights to 8 nights was a surprise, but we were so happy that you were enjoying your Anniversary with us. Its nice to see a couple so well "connected".

Thank you for the Wonderful Review...and we hope you return to us real soon.

Pura Vida,

Jon and Mabel
Breckenridge, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 24 May 2012

The Toucan Stay Inn is a beautiful paradise! The grounds and rooms were clean, safe, and accommodating in every way. The back yard is absolutely beautiful. We got to see two sloths in the yard while we were there and even picked our own papaya for breakfast. We stayed in the Owner's Cabin, but got a chance to see all the rooms. They were all great, but we enjoyed the extra space, having two hammocks on the screened in porch, and especially having our own kitchen. AC was an extra bonus (helpful for sleeping at night).

Jon's knowledge and love for what he does made our vacation easy. He was always able to provide us with suggestions for activities, restaurants, etc. and was very helpful in setting up tours and making reservations. It was great having bikes, beach hammocks, snorkeling gear, etc. available for our use without an extra fee. Breakfast was delicious! And usually big enough to allow for a late lunch :-) There is no better way to start your morning drinking coffee in a hammock while listening to the birds and the monkeys.

The location of The Toucan Stay Inn can't be beat. Just a short 2 minute walk to the Punta Uva beach (make sure you go to both sides of the point). The beach is pristine! There is also a great reef on the south beach for snorkeling. Peurto Viejo is a 3-4 mile bike ride away and Manzanillo (snorkeling, hiking, kayaking) a 3 mile ride south. We took a shuttle to the Toucan Stay Inn from San Jose. There was so much to do locally, we didn't miss having a rental car at all.

I truly can't say enough about the Toucan Stay Inn. Thanks for everything Jon. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

1 Thank Jen D
Madison, Alabama
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Welcome to paradise in the jungle. The TSI borders a wildlife refuge and there is an abundance of it in all directions. The beaches are pristine, with easy access to reefs for those that like to snorkel near shore. Punta Uva is literally a couple blocks from the resort. This is a beautiful beach, isolated from any major city or large resorts, with a freshwater river nearby for kayaking/canoeing. Puerto Viejo (Salsa Brava) is a short drive or long bike ride up the coast, and the waves at Cocles are perfect for novice surfers or beginners looking to test their nerves. Jon is a great host and the Owner's Cabin is a perfect retreat for a couple looking to escape into the rain forests of Costa Rica.

Some other words of wisdom:
Car Rental: Insurance coverage is required, and a large damage deposit is placed on the account used to make payment. Bring a GPS device with Costa Rican maps or pay the $6-10/day to rent one. Be prepared for two-lane roads with one-lane bridges for a majority of the drive from San Jose.
Wildlife: Visit the Jaguar Rescue center for up close and personal encounters with wildlife native to the area. Howler monkeys are loud, and like to howl/bark at 4 in the morning. Bring bug repellant.
Weather: It is very humid. You will sweat, and sunscreen is a must for any outdoor activity.

3 Thank G30ffr3y
Madison, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We just got back from the Toucan Stay Inn, and I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our trip. The place is just beautiful, a 2 minute walk from one of the world's most lovely, pristine beaches (You know the iconic tropical beach from pictures with the unreal-blue color and all the gorgeous trees, etc.? It's in Punta Uva).

Johnnie, the owner, was like an uncle to us by the time we left. He gave us great information, knows the locals spots to do anything you'd like to do, how to get you to and from where you need to go, and made us feel very welcome.

We stayed in the (very nice) Owner's Cabin, and had plenty of room to spread out, but still felt very cozy and had enough privacy, with the lush landscaping surrounding the cabin. There are TONS of things to see just on the grounds (wildlife, plants, etc.), and if you're there at the right time, might even get to pick some mangoes and coconuts to go with your breakfast. We did. :-)

We enjoyed really amazing, fresh fruit every day with breakfast, in addition to the other, heartier stuff Johnnie whipped up for us. Great eggs, toast, pancakes, etc. You'll be well fed here. The area is also choc full of great restaurants, some shopping, LOTS of outdoor activities, and plenty of places to just chill and have a nice drink.

A note about planning your trip: If you have the means, rent a car. You could, theoretically (and many people do) get around on bike, but, it's nice to be able to get around to places without worrying about weather, etc. Also, there are no shoulders on the roads. :-) Driving in CR is an adventure all its own. (We survived, in good spirits). ;-)

Room Tip: The Owner's Cabin is spacious, but, the apartments are very nicely appointed as well. All the ro...
2 Thank Nicole G
PuntaUvaJon, Owner at The Toucan Stay Inn, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear Nicole,

I can't thank you enough for your lovely review. As I've said before...it's wonderful to have guests who are open to nature, the culture and the variety of international cuisine we have in this area.

Enjoying "all that's fresh"...The freshly caught fish, fruits and veggies are all just so much better here. Oh by the way...that was fresh papaya (not a mango)from the backyard...and the young coconut water came from our many pipas (young coconuts)...Your hubby became a pro at "snagging them" in no time.

Again...we are so happy you enjoyed your stay (Honeymoon) with us...and hope you come back soon.

Pura Vida,

Jon (owner)
Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed 1 March 2012

The reviews tell the story consistently and I will add to the others. My stay was in the bright and funky Jose room for only 2 brief nights but I shall carry the memories of an enchanting place with me for a very long time.

The garden is a delight and the general store is just across the street, while the beach, clean and safe for swimming, is a relaxed 4 minute walk. It was a treat also because you could hear the ocean and the howling monkeys.

Wendy did a splendid job of welcoming me, explaining what guests need to know, and served a tasty breakfast on the large open patio. Her UK accent is just one element of her warm and charming personality. Wendy knows the art of being present, a wonderful gift.

I wanted to catch the news but discovered the tv in my room is set up for only watching DVDs. The WiFi worked, albeit slowly, on the patio downstairs, not in my room. I hardly needed to use the air conditioner because of the pleasant breeze with many windows that could all be opened. It was convenient to have the use of the fridge in the room as well, and the place was spotlessly clean.

Jon, the owner, did all he could from afar to facilitate my reservation. He is clearly devoted to giving his guests true value for their dinero.

I would not hesitate to recommend Toucan Stay Inn.

Room Tip: It's not literally on the beach but so close you can hear the waves.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
#3 of 3 in Punta Uva
Cabinas Punta Uva
Cabinas Punta Uva
#20 of 103 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Been to The Toucan Stay Inn? Share your experiences!