We stayed 8 days at TSI with owner Jon and Mike and loved it.
We were staying in Junior Suite Jose B (!) which included a full fridge, coffee maker and little dining table. The room came with a comfortable king size bed and everything was furnished with a tropical feel. The breakfast we purchased in the mornings was delicious!
Jon was a fantastic host. Loads of interesting stories about the town and his experience moving to Costa Rica. I loved hearing about it. But if you prefer to be on your own or don't feel like chatting, he understands and will be there if you need to ask anything. I loved his humour in naming the inn and the room names. He is very knowledgeable about restaurants and where to eat.
Mike was a fantastic help too. He has so much experience with arranging tours, organising where to go for dinner and drinks and even knows the BEST places to do night walks. His love of nature and the animals of the area was what we loved the most. I highly recommend going on a tour with Mike - you won't regret it!
- buy the breakfast at least once or twice to taste the wonderful banana or mango pancakes. John also makes a tasty omelette too!
- Spend time talking with Mike about the animals of the region. He knows it all!
- TSI is not located within walking distance to downtown Puerto Viejo, so don't get confused. You can borrow a beach rider bike to ride up to town or catch a bus. Many tourists seem to hitch hike too. It is quite a walk to the downtown area... but I liked that about this B&B!
- Some other reviewers have had a problem with noise - but be aware. There is noise, this is a town with people who live there. If you are worried about the noise issue, bring ear plugs and you will be fine no matter where you stay in Costa Rica. We didn't have any problems.. howler monkeys do wake up early though!!!
- Make sure you find out where the local sloths are. Mike will tell you. They are so close and so cute! It is fantastic to see so many and for free!!
- grab a flashlight and some boots and do a night walk up some of the streets around TSI and you will see so many frogs! Ask Mike to come along for some extra guidance if needed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The "A Place To Flee, In A Garden By The Sea" All Accommodations have: Air Conditioning Ceiling Fans Screened Windows (NO MOSQUITO NETTING NEEDED!!!) Quality Beds and Linens Private Entrances Private Bathrooms Tables/ Chairs (Seating Area) Refrigerators Coffee Makers Private, Gated, 1/2 acre+ just 200 meters from the Beach!!! Come...Relax & Enjoy!!! (Free use of Boogie Boards, Snorkel Gear, Beach Towels, Hammocks) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your The Toucan Stay Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.