“Tucan Stay Inn, a little piece of paradise in quiet Punta Uva”

The Toucan Stay Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Punta Uva B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I had the pleasure of ending my 4 month journey in Central America in lovely Playa Punta Uva at the Toucan Stay Inn. I enjoyed my time in the owners quarters of the Tucan Stay Inn for the last week in February 2014, a great private studio apartment with screened in porch and super comfy king size bed. The unit had a fully stocked kitchen for cooking and I was able to buy a huge water bottle refill just across the street at the local pulparia. A hot water shower in the cute bathroom was a treat after being so many places on my journey with only cold water. I enjoyed quiet hours napping in the hammock on the porch. I rented a bike for $5 a day at the grocery story 2 km up the road and rode all up and down the coast from Playa Manzanilo to Puerto Viejo. I saw monkeys, sloths, hummingbirds, snakes and iquana in the gardens/beaches. I spent a whole day horseback riding on the beach and in the jungle with a local friend. The Toucan Stay Inn was a great way to relax before my return home to long work days. The bus goes right by the inn every couple of hours and a taxi is about a $8-$10 ride to Puerto Viejo where you can always find a good party or some salsa dancing. Mike met me upon arrival showed me around and checked on me several times during my stay. All the people are laid back and friendly. I even lucked out and caught a ride all the way to San Jose with another couple who was staying at the Toucan Stay Inn that happened to be heading to the airport the same day as me. If you want a place close enough to enjoy the party town of Puerto Viejo but far enough away to enjoy the quiet and more private beaches then you will love Punta Uva and the Tucan Stay Inn. I absolutely loved it and would visit again. Thank you Jon and Mabel for allowing me to hibernate in your beautiful place. Its perfect for solo travelers, couples and friends. I appreciate you and hope you will stay in touch.

Room Tip: I only saw the owners quarters which I stayed in but the 2 other guests I met seemed very happy with...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Bob and I stayed at the Toucan Stay Inn in February, 2014 for 7 days! We found it very relaxing and quiet and the tropical plants surrounding the place very exotic! We had everything we needed to do some of our own cooking and coffee each morning. The accommodations provided exceeded our expectations. We enjoyed taking a chair and a boogie board to the beach each day which was just a short walk away. It was the most beautiful beach I have seen in Costa Rica! Mike, the manager was extremely helpful and always available to answer any questions we might have. We would definitely stay there again; we were in the Owners Cabin.

Bob and Mary Lou - Minnesota

Room Tip: The Owners Cabin offered solitude and air conditioning!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed at the inn for 5 nights. Mike the manager was extremely friendly and helpful. The beaches are the most gorgeous I have ever seen. If you are looking for relaxation this is the place. If you are looking for adventure this is the place.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank BreAnne J
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed for 12 days, unfortunately Jon wasn't able to be there but Mike was. He made us feel like we were at home relaxing with a friend. The place was warm and inviting, with the beach located less than 5 minutes away.
Mike shared some of his experiences and knowledge of the area with us. This was extremely helpful and appreciated, couldn't ask for a better host or guide to the area.
I would gladly send any of my friends or family to the TSI (only the good ones that would be worthy) so they could get to experience the hospitality and grounds like we did.
We hope that the TSI is around for many more years and will definitely book our next stay there in the future!
This place was definitely Pura Vida

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank jsbauer1
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed 5 nights at the TSI for our honeymoon and we are absolutely thrilled with our choice. Jon (the owner) rented out his owner's cabin for us which was incredible clean, spacious, had a full kitchen, filtered water, bathtub, A/C (yes, you heard me...A/C), ceiling fans, a gigantic bed and a screened in porch complete with hammock. The grounds are amazing. You're literally in the middle of the jungle but Jon has created walking paths to explore the surroundings. We spent a good deal of time on the pavilion in the hammocks watching the vast wildlife.
Breakfast is included in the rate and it is nothing to sneeze at. Jon makes you a variety of different egg dishes, he serves fresh locally made bread (amazing) and always has a local fruit to serve as well. His breakfast kept us full WELL into the afternoon and we are very active people.
Jon listens to your interests and makes activity/sightseeing suggestions based on your genuine interests. Not only does he personalize his suggestions to each guest, but he gives you precise directions on how to get everywhere he suggests which is incredibly helpful.
We cannot wait to return to the TSI. It truly was a dream honeymoon. See my pics of the property/beach to get the full effect!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kalegna
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed 8 days at TSI with owner Jon and Mike and loved it.

We were staying in Junior Suite Jose B (!) which included a full fridge, coffee maker and little dining table. The room came with a comfortable king size bed and everything was furnished with a tropical feel. The breakfast we purchased in the mornings was delicious!

Jon was a fantastic host. Loads of interesting stories about the town and his experience moving to Costa Rica. I loved hearing about it. But if you prefer to be on your own or don't feel like chatting, he understands and will be there if you need to ask anything. I loved his humour in naming the inn and the room names. He is very knowledgeable about restaurants and where to eat.

Mike was a fantastic help too. He has so much experience with arranging tours, organising where to go for dinner and drinks and even knows the BEST places to do night walks. His love of nature and the animals of the area was what we loved the most. I highly recommend going on a tour with Mike - you won't regret it!

My recommendations:
- buy the breakfast at least once or twice to taste the wonderful banana or mango pancakes. John also makes a tasty omelette too!
- Spend time talking with Mike about the animals of the region. He knows it all!
- TSI is not located within walking distance to downtown Puerto Viejo, so don't get confused. You can borrow a beach rider bike to ride up to town or catch a bus. Many tourists seem to hitch hike too. It is quite a walk to the downtown area... but I liked that about this B&B!
- Some other reviewers have had a problem with noise - but be aware. There is noise, this is a town with people who live there. If you are worried about the noise issue, bring ear plugs and you will be fine no matter where you stay in Costa Rica. We didn't have any problems.. howler monkeys do wake up early though!!!
- Make sure you find out where the local sloths are. Mike will tell you. They are so close and so cute! It is fantastic to see so many and for free!!
- grab a flashlight and some boots and do a night walk up some of the streets around TSI and you will see so many frogs! Ask Mike to come along for some extra guidance if needed.

Room Tip: Jose B was a great room if you don't require a kitchen. There is a local shop across the road wh...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AussieTravelsAround
Reviewed 8 March 2013

If you stay at Toucan Shelter Inn (TSI) and the owner Jon is in residence, you get a free and inclusive cabaret. Jon has an inexhaustible store of anecdotes and stories which will keep you amused. If you decide to break away, both he and Mike the Manager can advise about places to visit and about the local restaurants.
TSI is located at the end of Puerto Viejo with the best and quietest beaches. It is around 50 metres from the beach located in its own grounds. We went to Costa Rica for its wildlife and were not disappointed. There was a sloth in the tree next to the gate when we arrived. Lying in a hammock in the garden we saw birds continuously and Mike was excellent at identifying them for us.
The Owners Cabin met all our needs. It is worth knowing that they - in common with most of the region - do suffer from water storage issues. If you need a deep bath each day you might choose somewhere else; but then you probably should not go to Puerto Viejo.
We visited one of the Indigenous Indian villages called Yorking during our stay. It was one of our highlights despite ending with a sore bum - consider sitting on your life vest in the canoe! The visit was interesting and informative. The Indians were very friendly as are all the Costa Ricans we met.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Tierra de Suenos Lodge
#15 of 55 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Pachamama Jungle River Lodge
Physis Caribbean Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Toucan Stay Inn? Share your experiences!