“wonderful peaceful stay”

and 1 more site!
Pachamama Jungle River Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Punta Uva B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My husband and I last week spent 7 nights at this awesome little treasure in the jungle. We loved the area for its quiet relaxing atmosphere. But what I want mostly to mention is the excellent and very attentive service Estelle and Florian provided. We couldn't have asked for more, they were there to answer any questions we might have. Also, it was really nice having your breakfast served daily to our front deck. Yes, we loved the sounds of the wild howler monkeys and the plush jungle foliage which made us feel we were deep within the jungle but were only minutes to the most beautiful beaches. Estelle and Florian made us feel like family and on our last night we had purchased a bottle of rum in which Estelle delivered to our deck with glasses, candle, flowers, lime and ice bucket. That was so sweet of you Estelle and Gordy and I will never forget our stay with you. We look forward to our next visit and we would definitely recommend Pachamama for anyone looking either for some peaceful or romantic time, this is the place.

Room Tip: I think any room would be great, depending on your party size.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
PachamamaCaribe, Propriétaire at Pachamama Jungle River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Many thanks for your great review and your kind words. We take great pride in taking good care of our guests and we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
It was our pleasure meeting you and looking forward to seeing you back at Pachamama

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Pachamama was what exactly we wanted to experience tropical Costa Rican jungle with close proximity to gorgeous beaches and nature. Other reviewers already mentioned about the nature sounds you can hear in their casitas, so let me start from somewhere else. It is located 8km south of Puerto Viejo that reminds me of East Village in NYC, in a quiet area. Estelle and Florian are the best hosts ever with the kindest hearts and a great range of knowledge on what to do, where to go,..etc. Our stay in Punta Uva became such a memorable visit mostly because of them!

The casitas are within a walking distance to authentic Argentina restaurant and Sabore del Mundo (International cuisine restaurant). Both of them serve upscale dishes with very much reasonable prices. We could have cooked with the fully equipped kitchen should our stay have been longer.

The nearest beach Punta Uva is a gorgeous beach with so many tiny/small/medium size fish swimming very close to its shore. Swimming with them was amazing! World-famous Cahuita National Park is also just 20-30 minutes drive away. We encountered white-face monkeys, raccoons, big blue butterflies, blue crabs and some interesting birds within 30 minutes of hiking on the beautiful jungle trail adjacent to the beaches! We also dropped by TSIRU chocolate factory run by indigenous Bri Bri tribe where we tasted the purest chocolates and their yummy spice that will work with virtually anything like chicken, fish or fried rice.

Early mornings with the sounds of howling monkeys were sure things to confirm that you are in the paradise! Then Estelle and Florian served us very pretty and yummy breakfast on our terrace for us to get ready for the day of exploration. We also visited Jaguar Rescue Center upon Florian's recommendation, which was very interesting and educational for our kids.

We are a family of travelers and usually looking for new destinations, but Pachamama is one the few on our short list which we would love to go back.

Thank you very much Estelle, Florian, and all who made our vacation in Costa Rica so happy!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
PachamamaCaribe, Propriétaire at Pachamama Jungle River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Thank you so much for the Excellent review and for all your wonderful compliments! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay in our casa “Los Monos” ... and our breakfasts.
Glad to hear that the visits we have suggested you have given satisfaction. We do our best to answer your questions and advise you on places to visit according to your preferences.
Thanks again for you wonderful recommendations and 5 stars!
All our greetings to you and your family.
Estelle

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We had a terrific experience here, so much so that it was sad to finally leave. Here's some highlights:

1. The new owners, Estelle and Florian, are so sweet, kind and considerate. They have a reputation in town for taking Pachamama, which apparently was previously going downhill, and investing their energy, enthusiasm and resources to making it extraordinary again.

I never stayed there previously, but can tell you they have a tremendous amount of charm and compassion so I believe it, taking their time and energy every little experience or recommendation. Some small examples include (a) Estelle kindly brought me medicine when she heard I was feeling a bit sick, (b) they arranged dinner and activities for us when we were feeling uninspired one evening, and (3) they very kindly took photos and emailed them to us when we went rafting. More importantly, they were just endlessly fun and nice the whole time.

2. The apartment was very clean and tidy considering it was surrounded by trees and wildlife. We brought tons of sand and dirt in from the beach everyday and every afternoon it was clean, nice and new again.

3. Pachamama was next door to the nicest beach in the area, which was a giant plus. Taking the boat up the river was another fun adventure.

4. In the morning of our second day capuchin monkeys passed through the trees above Pachamama, and one stopped by our bungalow on a nearby tree to say hello.

5. I slept better than any other time in my life, being lulled to sleep by all the jungle noises.

Anyway, bottom line was that it was a terrific place, and I'd venture that it's getting a reputation as one of the nicest options in the area if you're up for staying in a jungly little home.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adam B
PachamamaCaribe, Propriétaire at Pachamama Jungle River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Muchas gracias, Adam and Rachel, for have taking time out of your day to write a review of our property
At Pachamama we put a lot of time and energy into details to provide our guests comfortable accommodations.
Built in the Gandoca-Manzanillo wildlife refuge, Pachamama is pleasing and welcoming. Lose your mind and soul in the rainforest and listen the chatter of the howlers monkeys, white faced capuchin monkeys, tucans and others wildlife animals is a pleasure you will find here.

We go above and beyond for our guests. We are more than happy to provide guests with any special requests. We want only one thing: that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

Muchas gracias once again and we welcome you back. Pura Vida.
Estelle & Florian

Reviewed 23 December 2013

My wife and I just stayed at Pachamama for three weeks and had a wonderful experience there. The new owners, Estelle amd Florian, were two of the most sincere, kind hosts we have ever come across. They made us a wonderful breakfast every morning and they were always available to answer questions and give advice on what to do in the area. They even had us over for carribean rum punch and hors d'oeuvres. Our rooms were cleaned every day and we always had fresh beach blankets waiting for us every morning. We really enjoyed the free use of the bicycles and used them almost every day. The space that Pachamama sits on is a beautiful tropical garden setting with many different flowering plants and trees. The cottages are very comfortable with good privacy. We really enjoyed seeing howler monkies, white faced monkies, three toed sloths, poison dart frogs, and all the different tropical birds right from our porch. Did I mention that they are a short walk away from the BEST beach in the area:) If you are looking for a laid back tropical setting with great service at an awesome price, this is the place.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
PachamamaCaribe, Propriétaire at Pachamama Jungle River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Dear Matthew and Dear Candy, thank you for sharing such a great review. We feel very proud to learn how much you enjoy staying with us and how much you like the services and attention that we provide. We feel also very proud whenever our guests leave as happy as you did
There is nothing more we want than to see a smile on our guests´ faces, that way, we are going to be sure that our efforts were accomplished. We are always doing our best to provide our guests with everything they need and the most welcoming and friendly atmosphere to make their stay with us a wonderful experience.
Once again, thank you very much for your visit
Happy Holidays!
Yours truly, Estelle and Florian

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed in the Tocanes (Toucan) room for four nights at the end of November/beginning of December. It was a great experience that I will definitely remember and hope to experience again some day.

I'm not going to lie, I was a little leery upon realizing our cute little cabin had bug screens on all the windows and around the bed so you could leave the windows open as it had no a/c. Granted, I go camping - in tents - which have no a/c and leave me much more exposed to critters, so I'm not quite sure why I was thrown off for a moment. I'm going to blame the day of travel and the fact that sometimes I can be a tad prissy.
HOWEVER, I very quickly got over this hesitation after I looked around and saw how clean the cabin was, the screens were secure (kept the bugs/insects out), and the grounds were beautiful. The shower had hot water (the trick is to not turn the water on too much as the water heater is in the shower head) and great water pressure! It was nice to pretend that the little cabin was our jungle home for four nights.

My absolute favorite thing about the cabin at Pachamama was listening to the sounds of the jungle at night/early morning. If we had stayed at a place with a/c and sealed windows I wouldn't have heard what I called the "hipster frog" and his apathetic "meh....meh...meh", the ghostly sounds of the howler monkeys, or just the sounds of the wind moving through the jungle. It was such a welcome change from honking horns, loud motorcycles, and general city noise. You feel so close to nature, in a good way - on a comfy bed and in a clean cabin.

As for the owners...they were amazing. You can tell the two of them really care about the experience of the guests and the maintenance of the property. They were very thoughtful; leaving umbrellas for us, bringing us fresh picked bananas from their garden (which were sooo good), and even brought us breakfast the night before we left to store in our fridge because we had to leave at 6am. I'm going to give a special call out to Estelle, I have never met another person in the hospitality business who is a sincere and kind as she is.

The locations is great, Punta Uva is right across the street, the jaguar conservatory is right down the road, the "nightlife" is 5km down the road, and it's very safe.

Over all, would I recommend this to friends? Yes
Am I looking forward to returning (hopefully) one day? Yes

Room Tip: They have bikes and kayaks at your disposal...bonus!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jennmill
PachamamaCaribe, Propriétaire at Pachamama Jungle River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you so much for Excellent review. We appreciate that you provided so many details to potential guests including the cleanliness of the room!
Every day we do a thorough cleaning inside but also outside the house, in order to limit the insects that might come to disturb you during your stay. Mosquitos nets on the windows and on the bed also limit mosquitoes in homes.
I am very touched by your few words to me. Thank you very much, it's really very nice.
We hope to see you again in the future.
Pura vida
Estelle

Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Recently spent a weekend at Pachamama. Rooms are nice and the location is good. However, what sets this place apart is the friendliness of the owners and little extra perks: Breakfast and bikes included! Would definitely go back

• Stayed: November 2013
PachamamaCaribe, Propriétaire at Pachamama Jungle River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

We are glad you enjoyed your stay in Pachamama as the breakfast and the free availability of bicycles.
Thank you so much for the Excellent review and 5 stars!
Estelle et Florian

Reviewed 31 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three nights, and it was great experience. Our room was simple, but clean. We also had a porch where we could relax outside.

The owners were great - we got a delicious breakfast every morning, which was great to wake up to. They were so thoughtful, even placing two umbrellas on our door when it was raining, and serving us a bottle of rum with glasses, a bucket of ice, lime, and decorative flowers. Two bicycles were also provided for us. It's these little details that make this place a gem.

Also, this place is more in the jungle, but there is still a nice beach right down the street. Overall, Pachamama was great - affordable, and an excellent way to experience Costa Rica

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah W
PachamamaCaribe, Propriétaire at Pachamama Jungle River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you for your review "5 stars". We are delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast served on your terrace and our other services. We do this with great pleasure because your satisfaction is our greatest reward.
Pachamama is, indeed, in the jungle. It is for that, that you can see three different species of monkeys, tucans, frogs and various other animals.
Thanks again for taking the time to write a nice review.
Estelle & Florian

#2 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Caribe Town
Caribe Town
#1 of 8 in Cocles

Been to Pachamama Jungle River Lodge? Share your experiences!