“Great Stay!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I recently stayed at the HI Express in Waukegan with 2other families for our weekend trip to Six Flags Great America. From the moment we walked into the hotel, we were treated with exceptional customer service. The Front Desk staff were extremely helpful and kind, and went out of their way to help us with our evening meal accomodations. Our room was tastefully decorated and very clean. The hotel had just installed Direct TV which was another plus. The complimentary breakfast was quite abundant and had many choices. The pool is small but we overlooked that because everything else was so great. It was a quiet hotel even though they were booked with many families. The business center was small but had all of the equipment necessary. Overall, I would give this hotel an A for location, cleanliness, and amenities. I would give them an A+ on their employees and their friendly and helpful attitudes. Kate at the desk was extremely helpful and pleasant and should be recognized for her outstanding customer service skills.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 August 2012

Pros:
Staff pleasant despite annoying teen age soccer teams (I was with one of them)
Bed is comfortable
Pool is nice

Cons:
No washer/dryer
Worst breakfast and coffee ever, see sheraton or marriott for a cheap but much better b-fast
Hot tub out of order
Closet sized business center with one pc
Construction or storage in lobby?
Very bad lobby and room coffee and no tea or chocolate
Two queen bed room is small
Questionable quality bathroom remodel
Next door bowling alley is scary at night

Room Tip: Top floors away from elevators.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Second time staying here and will stay again.Hotel is clean, staff friendly. Six flags is only 4 miles away. Lots of dining options close to hotel and also a walmart. Bowling located right behind hotel. 24 hour McDonalds within walking distance. Room was clean and beds were super comfortable with a soft and firm pillow. Room has a microwave, coffee maker and refrigerator. Nice pool area but hot tub was out of order when we stayed. The front desk did inform us the hot tub was out of order and there were also plenty of signs stating that-was nice to be informed right up front. My husband used the fitness center every morning. Breakfast was excellent-different choices each morning. Had scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy one day. Cheese omelets one day and ham, omelets with peppers & onions the next. They also have a cool pancake machine that makes fresh pancakes. No waffle machine. Yogurt, fruit, cereal, oatmeal.
No complaints about this great hotel!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We chose this hotel because of its proximity to the Great Lakes Navy base which is about a 10-minute ride away. No complaints at all. It is located right next to a shopping center, in a nice neighborhood. Hotel was very nice. Queen room was quite large and clean. Staff was very friendly and professional. The breakfast buffet was small but had a nice selection of food. There are lots of fast food and sit-down restaurants, as well as stores (Home Depot, Wal Mart,etc.) in the area.

I would definitely stay here again. We flew into O'Hare Airport - about a 45-minute ride to the hotel, with no traffic but traffic in Chicago can be extremely heavy at times, so plan accordingly.

Room Tip: Book early. Hotels in this area sell out quickly if there are any events going on at the navy base.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2012

This is a smaller HIE but it's newer and nicely balanced. We stayed in an oversized queen room. It was probably the biggest room we have seen. Lots of space and super clean. Breakfast was nice with eggs biscuits and gravy cereal... yogert juice and the breakfast room was spacious. Front desk was friendly. We went to great America and it was an easy shot to get there. Overall architecture great place to stay highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The hotel staff was hospitable, when I was charged in error for local calls, the staff called me immediately to explain and correct the error. Also the staff person stated she would fax me a corrected statement. My room was updated and clean and early check-in was not a problem. I would suggest more fruit for the breakfast. The location was great, easy access to shopping(walmart, eateries,bowling and Gurnee Mills, Great America)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I travel a lot for business and I've stayed at a lot of hotels.

Pros:
- This particular hotel was clean, updated and very hospitable.
- When my thermostat didn't turn on upon entering my room initially, a quick call to the front desk resulted in the front desk guy coming up within 5 minutes to fix it successfully.
- Beds were comfortable, if a bit soft but I'd rather that than too hard.
- Super close to a lot of amenities: food, shopping, bowling, etc
- Plenty of free parking.

Cons:
- Internet. Not sure what was up with it, but connecting was slow and page loads were as well. I didn't have a VPN that I needed to use but I would question the speed if that is your need.
- Shower was just fine aside from the fact that there were gaps in the materials that lined the shower (looked like granite but it wasn't) and there was no silicone in the gaps. Didn't detract from the shower but since I'm fixing up my own house I tend to notice things like this.\
- They have a biz center but the computer was painfully slow. I used it to access my work email so I could print something off. Opening Acrobat, I thought the computer would just freeze. It finally opened and I was able to print. But seeing as I needed to fax what I printed out and there was no fax, that will have to wait for my next hotel tomorrow.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan? Share your experiences!