“NAVY FAMILIES, EVER SEEN THAT EPISODE OF COPS...”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Waukegan / Gurnee
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
“NAVY FAMILIES, EVER SEEN THAT EPISODE OF COPS...”
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I should have known we were in trouble when I told th woman behind the counter how pretty her grand daughter wqs and she said, "I know". We went into the first room, and it was relly dirty. the carpet looked like it might have been red about 20 years ago, but now it just had a black, greasy feel to it. There was no way I was going to put my baby down anywhere in that room. so i went to the desk and changed rooms for one upstirs, she said the carpets had just been cleaned, so i thought it might be better. WRONG! this room was even worse, the toilet didn't work, and there was a fabulous view of the jiffy lube (or midas, something) bays and trash cans. They were kind enough to refund my money, although they wanted to keep $12. I got all my money back. This place was on the MWR brochure, and you should know tht anyone who pays can advertise there. Did i mention we were charged $213 and their weekly rate was $225 advertised on their sign. STAY AWAY FROM ANYWHERE ON GREEN BAY ROAD, THEY ARE ALL DUMPS!!!! We were fortunate after calling frantically every other hotel on the MWR, and the clerk Paul at the Comfort Inn on Belveder Rd held their last room for us. Upon arrival, Paul and the manager Ken went out of their ways to be accomidating, we had a clean room overlooking a beautiful grass field, and we felt very welcome. Ken and Paul saved our trip! When we go back for our sons A school graduation we are looking forward to going back there.

Room Tip: get a room at the comfort inn on belvedre road instead. its around the corner and they bend over bac...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sterling, Illinois
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Dan and his family were very accommodating and went above and beyond for us. We had a free ride to Great America, even the next day when we checked out they drove us over there. Very satisfied, Room clean, Will stay again!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
iowa
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Good....short drive to the Naval Center
BAD: musty smell, dirty pool, very poor and tasteless continental food (termed breakfast).. PRICE CHANGE on cancelled rooms... despite several reassuring conversations with the management, and meeting the cancellation deadline by more than 48 hours REFUSED to refund the full amount....more than a $10 'fine'/room assessed for the cancellation.
I would recommend the NAVY take it off the list of travel plus and will notify them as well.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Waukegan hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 August 2011

This hotel is very run down and dirty. The room was horrible. Holes in the walls, wallpaper was falling off, the floor was dirty, furniture was old. Room smelled musty. The beds were hard and squeaky. The breakfast was just toast and stale cereal. The pictures on the internet made it look pretty nice, but we were fooled. We could not wait to check out. Not worth the money.

Have to say the staff was very nice. We shuttled to six flags and they were very prompt and nice. They checked us into our room early.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Belleville, IL
Reviewed 31 July 2011

This wasn't the cleanest hotel we have stayed in. The price wasn't bad. Continental breakfast very basic. Toast, English Muffins, toaster waffles, cereals, coffee and juice. The indoor pool is small and the water was not heated. The hotel did not have a very fresh smell. They offer free shuttle to Six Flags we did not take advantage of. There are not any good restaurants close to hotel. Staff seemed somewhat friendly. Would probably not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We booked this hotel because of the amazing deal they had 4 2 day passes to Six Flags and a one night with free shuttle to and from park on both days for $345 w/tax. Sounded great! The staff was friendly but when we got there and I realized that they kept our credit card number on file in paper, that was a red flag! I know its common for places to keep them in crypted files on the computer but I was very uncomfortable leaving the card number unsecured on paper, especially because the neighborhood didn't seem like it was the best in the world, even though I never felt like I was in danger.
The biggest complaint I have for this place is there were ants!! Almost everywhere!!! We noticed them initially in the bathroom, which we decided we could deal with, considering it was only one night. In the morning, I set my soda down on the night stand and within 15 minutes there were ants crawling on the rim. GROSS!!! Then my husband notices that they are on the bed...I know they are only ants but its still an insect!! If we can SEE this many, how many are there really?? AND what else is crawling around?!
When we got back to the hotel from Six Flags, we asked for more towels and they didn't have any clean ones?! Really??? You are a hotel!! The ones we did have were stained and looked gross, I can only imagine what the stains were!!
The shuttle service was prompt and on time, so that was super convenient!
Upon returning to our home, my husband realizes they he forgot his wallet at the hotel in the room, when I called there to see if anyone had returned it, I was told no one returned the wallet. Don't know who it was(front desk, cleaning staff, etc), but someone there is dishonest.
Overall, I don't think I would go back to this place, considering that for an extra $50-$150 I can stay at a place where I won't have to worry about insects crawling on me in my sleep!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Room was clean and comfortable, my family enjoyed our stay. Staff was outstanding, more personal than even in much more expensive hotels. They went out of their way to help us get to Six Flags and also accomodated my need to make a business call in a quiet location above and beyond the call of duty. Would go there again.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family