“Nice Staff, Filthy Place”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Waukegan / Gurnee
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We just stayed over night from a Wednesday to Thursday morning. Staff was friendly and welcoming unfortunately, once you go to your room you begin to pick up a musty smell. The carpet was filthy with stains all over. The free internet wi-fi reception was very poor so you needed to go to the lobby area to make it work. The towels were very old and to our surprise there was a leak in the bathroom coming from upstairs. The staff, very apologetic, switched us to another room. Again there was a musty smell, we were so glad we were just staying for the night. In the morning, we could not make it for breakfast since it was over by 9:00 AM. We tried to get some ice before we left, but the ice machine was broken! We would never recommend a place like this. Good luck!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Waukegan / Gurnee

Reviewed 22 July 2012

Heated pool was cold, pubes in bed, shower was a trickle, room stunk, 45 minute wait for Six Flags shuttle back to hotel, free internet signal was too poor to connect, closest ice machine was broken, and lastly; the free breakfast was stale cereal and frozen waffles.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Gteat hotel on price,cleanliness and a super soft bed and have discounted six flag tickets and a shuttle that will take you and pick you up. staff was very friendly and helpfull

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I was pretty pleased with the value of this hotel when looking for something convenient to RTC. The staff was super helpful, as they helped us out by printing our RTC base pass and the breakfast staff allowed me to get some orange juice long after breakfast had ended. I was really impressed with how helpful and friendly the staff was. The kids seemed to have a great time in the indoor pool. The hotel is a few years old, but the price and service were great.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2012

First of all the hotel room smelled like cigarettes & I had my newborn baby & my one year old staying in the room with me. We went on a tuesday, so we went down to go to the pool & the doors were locked & we were told the pool was only open on weekends. But the very next day we saw kids playing in the pool. There is no microwave in the rooms nor a dvd player as it is advertised!! There were stains on the towels & there was no stopper in the bath so my son had to get in the shower with me! There were cigarette stains in the carpet & the fridge was extremely small & old & filthy! Room service kept knocking on our door & wouldnt go away! The phones & walls were filthy. Breakfast was over at 9am & my kids dnt even wake up til 10. There were stains in the pillows & the beds were held up by wood & were very loud & uncomfortable. This was at americas best in waukegan,il.on greenbay. Jorrible horrible hotel & management. We reserved our room online & they told us they dont even look at the reservations online. So we had to rebook it in person. Please do not go to this filthy hotel

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I just spent 2 days at this motel Jan. 5 & 6, 2012 while attending my son's graduation from Navy Boot Camp. I was very disappointed in the rooms and the service. The people there were very nice, but the room was not very clean. The heater had to be plugged in to turn the heater on and off, the switch did not work. I thought this was a bit unsafe. The floor lamp lite bulb socket was loose, which also seemed dangerous. The toilet in the bathroom kept running after flushing everytime and through out our entire stay. I was told that they only put 2 washclothes in the bathrooms per room, even if there are 4 people staying in the room. When I asked for two more the second day I was told they did not have any. I am thinking.... really? The motel was not full . Any motel in business should have plenty of supplies for their guest. I thought this was ridiculous. I could not believe it. I had to ask for an extra towel and they did give me that. When it came to the shuttle that takes the guest to the graduation, I was told the night I checked in, Thursday , that I could sign up for the shuttle the next morning when I came to breakfast. I was not told that the shuttle left at 6:30. When I called the next morning to inquire about signing up over the phone I was told they were leaving right then and that they could wait 10 minutes for us. I told her I was not ready and was not informed that 6:30 was the departure time. I was told that the shuttle would not be making another trip and I could take a taxi for about $7.00 to $10.00. When the taxi was called the taxi drive said he was down stairs. I eventually figured out that the same driver for the shuttle was the driver of the taxi. The shuttle was free, the taxi cost me $15.00 for 3.5 miles. Then I had to pay $15.00 for the return trip because I did not see the shuttle at the drop off after graduation. The taxi driver told me to look for the shuttle and be there at 11:15 . After graduation was over, I had to wait on my son , and when I reached the drop off area the shuttle was not there. When I got another taxi which cost me another $15.00 back to the motel the driver was there and said he was waiting on me.at the drop off. The whole thing was a big rip off. Do not trust the shuttle service if you stay here or the taxi drivers in Great Lakes. They all know you have to have a ride and they will take advantage of you ! Which is very SORRY of them ! These graduates are our future security in this nation and the families of these young men and women are getting ripped off. Please do not stay here . The old saying "you get what you pay for" is definitley true here. It looks like a good deal but it's not !! STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE !!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else even if it cost you a little more. It will be worth it or rent a car and get th...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I should have known we were in trouble when I told th woman behind the counter how pretty her grand daughter wqs and she said, "I know". We went into the first room, and it was relly dirty. the carpet looked like it might have been red about 20 years ago, but now it just had a black, greasy feel to it. There was no way I was going to put my baby down anywhere in that room. so i went to the desk and changed rooms for one upstirs, she said the carpets had just been cleaned, so i thought it might be better. WRONG! this room was even worse, the toilet didn't work, and there was a fabulous view of the jiffy lube (or midas, something) bays and trash cans. They were kind enough to refund my money, although they wanted to keep $12. I got all my money back. This place was on the MWR brochure, and you should know tht anyone who pays can advertise there. Did i mention we were charged $213 and their weekly rate was $225 advertised on their sign. STAY AWAY FROM ANYWHERE ON GREEN BAY ROAD, THEY ARE ALL DUMPS!!!! We were fortunate after calling frantically every other hotel on the MWR, and the clerk Paul at the Comfort Inn on Belveder Rd held their last room for us. Upon arrival, Paul and the manager Ken went out of their ways to be accomidating, we had a clean room overlooking a beautiful grass field, and we felt very welcome. Ken and Paul saved our trip! When we go back for our sons A school graduation we are looking forward to going back there.

Room Tip: get a room at the comfort inn on belvedre road instead. its around the corner and they bend over bac...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family