“Less than 1 star”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Waukegan / Gurnee
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Stayed at the ABVI for daughters Navy graduation. Wow we were upgraded to a suite for 68.00 per night, for a 2 night stay. Very impressed, until we got to the back of the complex where the suites were located. I have to say this was AWEFUL. Nasty Detroit Mi feeling. Very dirty, felt unsecure not sure what was in the pull out sofa, bathroom was nasty as well. i understand if I was staying at a Hilton all would be cleaned. I will never stay at one of these places EVER. The 3rd night we checked into LaQuinta suite in Gurnee for 49 bucks a night. Pool, Hot tub, very nice bfast bar, very clean rooms, updated, workout room. take my advice if your planning a stay for your families graduation DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: LaQuinta Inn do not stay here it was a waste of 140.00 .
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Matt C

Reviewed 29 August 2012

With every trip you are going to find the good and bad in it. I wanted to take my son to Six Flags for our two day vacation. We live seven hours from Six Flags, so of course I needed to find a hotel. There was a hotel I wanted to stay in but the price was way to steep for my limited budget, I found this hotel on Six Flags site, so I called them, the price was good three days two nights, with park tickets both days and free shuttle all for $320.00. Now that was one third the price of the other hotel. Our stay was good, they need improvement on their cleaning because our room had dust bunnies at the head of the bed on the floor. the carpet was stained but so is my living room carpet right? The shuttle wait was just what they said it would be, they said call when you are going on your last ride and then meet them out front and that worked great. The pool however was a different story, it needed heat and cleaning, the steps were slippery when I stepped in and I fell and broke two toes, The staff was kind of hard to communicate with because of their heavy accent but they were very friendly and helpful. Although this was the first time I arrived at a hotel thirty minutes before check in and had to wait until check in to get my room. most hotels are accommodating on that. I am going back there next year and will stay here because of the price. I just hope they clean it up some. The little synopsis on the hotel when you are looking at site says "New hotel in the area." and it is clearly not new, maybe new to owners but not new built. Also it says "deluxe continental breakfast." if you call cold cereal and dry toast deluxe then you need a Websters review. I will have to say the beds were very comfortable and the TV was a nice distraction All in All it was a good place hope they see this review and improve some things, Inexpensive is nice but cheap will make you spend more just because.

1  Thank Michelle B
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We just stayed over night from a Wednesday to Thursday morning. Staff was friendly and welcoming unfortunately, once you go to your room you begin to pick up a musty smell. The carpet was filthy with stains all over. The free internet wi-fi reception was very poor so you needed to go to the lobby area to make it work. The towels were very old and to our surprise there was a leak in the bathroom coming from upstairs. The staff, very apologetic, switched us to another room. Again there was a musty smell, we were so glad we were just staying for the night. In the morning, we could not make it for breakfast since it was over by 9:00 AM. We tried to get some ice before we left, but the ice machine was broken! We would never recommend a place like this. Good luck!

Reviewed 22 July 2012

Heated pool was cold, pubes in bed, shower was a trickle, room stunk, 45 minute wait for Six Flags shuttle back to hotel, free internet signal was too poor to connect, closest ice machine was broken, and lastly; the free breakfast was stale cereal and frozen waffles.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

Gteat hotel on price,cleanliness and a super soft bed and have discounted six flag tickets and a shuttle that will take you and pick you up. staff was very friendly and helpfull

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I was pretty pleased with the value of this hotel when looking for something convenient to RTC. The staff was super helpful, as they helped us out by printing our RTC base pass and the breakfast staff allowed me to get some orange juice long after breakfast had ended. I was really impressed with how helpful and friendly the staff was. The kids seemed to have a great time in the indoor pool. The hotel is a few years old, but the price and service were great.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2012

First of all the hotel room smelled like cigarettes & I had my newborn baby & my one year old staying in the room with me. We went on a tuesday, so we went down to go to the pool & the doors were locked & we were told the pool was only open on weekends. But the very next day we saw kids playing in the pool. There is no microwave in the rooms nor a dvd player as it is advertised!! There were stains on the towels & there was no stopper in the bath so my son had to get in the shower with me! There were cigarette stains in the carpet & the fridge was extremely small & old & filthy! Room service kept knocking on our door & wouldnt go away! The phones & walls were filthy. Breakfast was over at 9am & my kids dnt even wake up til 10. There were stains in the pillows & the beds were held up by wood & were very loud & uncomfortable. This was at americas best in waukegan,il.on greenbay. Jorrible horrible hotel & management. We reserved our room online & they told us they dont even look at the reservations online. So we had to rebook it in person. Please do not go to this filthy hotel

• Stayed: April 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
#1 of 2 in Lake Bluff
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee

Been to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Waukegan / Gurnee? Share your experiences!