Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Waukegan / Gurnee
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

I was trying to find a cheap hotel as we were going to Six Flags and I found a dump. This was the most disgusting hotel I've ever seen. There were prostitutes coming in and out of the hotel, it stunk like urine, the rooms were dirty and we were afraid our car would be broken into and we would get robbed. I wouldn't recommend a dog staying here. Our son opened a cabinet in the room and the door almost fell off on him. The walls had holes in them, we had to shove the door open to just get into the room. We didn't end up staying here as it was too disgusting. Pay a little more money and stay at the Ramada Hotel, which is where we ended up staying at. It was very nice.
DO NOT STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
omaha
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

I researched online several hotels near the naval base before choosing this particular hotel. The amenities that influenced my decision were indoor pool, business center, microwave in the room, continental breakfast and transportation to the naval base. Upon arrival we were informed the pool that had been advertised at the time of our reservations was no longer available, we had no microwave in our room, and there is no business center on the property. The hotel does offer wireless internet but does not offer any printing services or computer access. The claim of a business center is bogus. Also the continental breakfast was one of the worst we have ever encountered. The bread was dry and the jelly packets were so old that the jelly was not able to spread onto the toast. It was hard and very sticky. The juices offered were orange and apple and both were watered down and were odd tasting. The hotel is in fair to moderate condition with noticeable water damage in several areas of the ceiling. The interior décor is outdated and appears to be a bit rundown and is dark and drabby. Every morning that we exited the front lobby to go to our car there was a strong overwhelming stench in the parking lot which smelled moldy and damp. Our room was clean and the staff was very respectful. However on the last night of our stay we were extremely upset that at 4:40 am a family of no less than three adults and several children were checked into the room next to ours. The hotel at this time was pretty empty, there were several other available rooms but for some reason this family was sent to the room right next to ours. They were yelling and screaming and knocking their belongings against the wall of our room. I had to call the front desk to ask them to have these hotel quests quiet down. There was absolutely no reason in the first place that this family should have been checked into a room next to others who were trying to sleep since the hotel was so empty. At check in it would have been obvious that they were going to be loud since we were woken up as they ran up and down the halls and loudly brought in their possessions. This was the final straw for us. I usually do not complain unless a situation is unbearable. Due to being woken up before five in the morning, our entire trip back to Nebraska we were exhausted. The disappointment of having no pool, the inconvenience of no microwave and having to walk to the lobby to heat up our restaurant leftovers, having no advertised business center to print out some documents that I needed printed, being very disappointed in the low quality food served for breakfast and then being so rudely woken up on our final morning was over the top for us. I would not recommend this hotel to others visiting the area based on the false advertisements that were posted at the time we placed our reservation. I notice now that the pool pictures have been deleted but they were there when I booked my reservation. If this is an indication of other America's best hotels we will not be booking our next hotel with them. we will go back to our reliable quality inns or other major chain.

Room Tip: go to a totally different hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank maynardmom6

Travellers are raving about these Waukegan hotels

Springfield,Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

Stayed here for grandsons navy graduation beginning of March. Very friendly staff, beds comfortable. Breakfast was lacking, no fruit and limited items. Shuttle provided free transportation to graduation, very easy.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank foxeybo
Beaufort, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

1st time at this hotel it was freezing and the rooms also freezing heater was off took all night for it to luke warm up. let shower steam up so could take clothes off so cold. very dark and dim in the lobby clean but not very inviting. people nice but not real friendly complimentary breakfast I've had much better. dark in the dinning area, just waffles,bagles cereals milk, juice, coffee all starches not sausages or bacon., no microwave in the bedroom but a refridgerator coffee machine. there was a free shuttle to my son's graduation I'm thankful for that. but even with that they didn't give you much time to be back for pickup. so we missed it. had to take a taxi but all in all it served it's purpose I and my daughter had a place to stay. it could have been worse. My son graduated from the Navy boot camp.

Room Tip: if you're somewhere cold and the entire hotel is freezing leave and go somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Anna4babies
Charlotte, Tennessee, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

Recently my family and i stayed at Americas best value inn and suites on greenbay rd in waulkeegan, Illiniois..right down the road from the naval base...i cant believe how Filthy nasty this room was!!!!!!!! i first noticed how nasty it was when i pulled the night stand out to plug in my phone charger. I cant beilieve still what i found, used condem wrappers!!!....and everything else you could think of!!!!!!, when i asked for the room to be cleaned while we was at our sons bootcamp grad, THEY SIMPLY REPLACED THE TOWELS, AND PULLED THE COVERS BACK UP, THAT WAS THERE METHOD OF CLEANING!!!!!....i will never stay or recommend this to family or friends.....how gross!!!.....sincerley...grossed out!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2012

Stayed at the ABVI for daughters Navy graduation. Wow we were upgraded to a suite for 68.00 per night, for a 2 night stay. Very impressed, until we got to the back of the complex where the suites were located. I have to say this was AWEFUL. Nasty Detroit Mi feeling. Very dirty, felt unsecure not sure what was in the pull out sofa, bathroom was nasty as well. i understand if I was staying at a Hilton all would be cleaned. I will never stay at one of these places EVER. The 3rd night we checked into LaQuinta suite in Gurnee for 49 bucks a night. Pool, Hot tub, very nice bfast bar, very clean rooms, updated, workout room. take my advice if your planning a stay for your families graduation DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: LaQuinta Inn do not stay here it was a waste of 140.00 .
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Matt C
Lake Nebagamon, Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

With every trip you are going to find the good and bad in it. I wanted to take my son to Six Flags for our two day vacation. We live seven hours from Six Flags, so of course I needed to find a hotel. There was a hotel I wanted to stay in but the price was way to steep for my limited budget, I found this hotel on Six Flags site, so I called them, the price was good three days two nights, with park tickets both days and free shuttle all for $320.00. Now that was one third the price of the other hotel. Our stay was good, they need improvement on their cleaning because our room had dust bunnies at the head of the bed on the floor. the carpet was stained but so is my living room carpet right? The shuttle wait was just what they said it would be, they said call when you are going on your last ride and then meet them out front and that worked great. The pool however was a different story, it needed heat and cleaning, the steps were slippery when I stepped in and I fell and broke two toes, The staff was kind of hard to communicate with because of their heavy accent but they were very friendly and helpful. Although this was the first time I arrived at a hotel thirty minutes before check in and had to wait until check in to get my room. most hotels are accommodating on that. I am going back there next year and will stay here because of the price. I just hope they clean it up some. The little synopsis on the hotel when you are looking at site says "New hotel in the area." and it is clearly not new, maybe new to owners but not new built. Also it says "deluxe continental breakfast." if you call cold cereal and dry toast deluxe then you need a Websters review. I will have to say the beds were very comfortable and the TV was a nice distraction All in All it was a good place hope they see this review and improve some things, Inexpensive is nice but cheap will make you spend more just because.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Michelle B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Americas Best Value Inn Barrington
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee

Been to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Waukegan / Gurnee? Share your experiences!