“Great Navy Hotel!!”

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Denver
“Great Navy Hotel!!”
Reviewed 5 November 2009

I arrived in Wuakegan, IL last weekend and checked into a hotel down the street. That place was cheaper but what a dump. So I immediately checked out, they ended up charging me a cancellation fee, but I was not gonna have my kids stay in that kind of place, so I paid and left.

So then we headed over to the America's Best Value and was totally surprised how clean the place was and only a little more money, but they had a lot more amenities than the other place and a lot cleaner.
1) They had a well heated pool which my kids loved (the water was like a hot tub).
2) The breakfast was ok, but sufficient. We usually just eat cereal and toast in the morning, so not too picky on that.
3) Their internet worked awesome, and they had a lot of channels on tv, so I was able to watch all my college football games with my brother who graduated from the navy.
4) They had a free shuttle to the base for the graduation which was awesome.
TIP: You can drive if you have a car, but there is a lot of traffic in the morning. I felt I was rushed a little after the graduation to catch the shuttle, but that was not the hotels fault. I noticed everyone there who took the shuttle were running for the pick up, because the security on the base kicks all the shuttles out after a certain time. I guess if u drive, u can stay longer...didn't really make sense to me, but I was just glad to see my brother graduate. He was able to come back on the shuttle with us, which was a plus.

So, back to the hotel...the place was great. Place is clean, people who worked there were extremely courteous and helpfull. There's a restaurant located across the street, and they had all the amenities for the right price. Plus its only like few miles away on the same street as the naval base. I will definitely stay there again when I visit my brother who's going to A-School there for the next few months. Oh, and they accept dogs, though we didn't bring our lab, logan, but I'm glad to know I can bring him next time.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Kannapolis, NC
Reviewed 2 November 2009

There is a pervasive smell of cigarette smoke, even though this hotel is nonsmoking. We had two rooms, one room was somewhat clean, although it took three requests to get it vacuumed and to have an apple core left by a previous occupant removed. The second room had a dirty towel left in the bathroom, a musty, moldy smell, a broken air conditioning vent, and mold covering the part of the air conditioner that wasn't broken. The staff was very friendly, but it was obvious that cleanliness was not high on their priority list.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Waukegan hotels

Illinois
Reviewed 19 October 2009

This place was so filthy that I would not allow my family to stay there. The neighborhood is shakey at best with strange people hanging out in the parking lot. I could not get a refund for my stay even though I didn't even get a key or step foot in a room. We stayed up the road a few miles for a few extra bucks had a very nice stay in a clean safe hotel.

Atlanta
Reviewed 4 August 2009

I travel for business combined with pleasure, my wife & 3 year old always come with, we stay in hotels almost every week for 2-4 nights across the country so we have experienced the good, the bad & the ugly & we are picky within reason (hate dirt, mold & or stench). My 3-year-old takes his shoes & socks off the minute we hit the room and believe me if the carpet is a little dirty we will know within minutes (I have checked out of hotels because his feet were black with dirt). Overall this place is clean, but the carpets could be better. Comes with microwave, coffeepot & small refrigerator. Breakfast is standard nothing special. Also has a pool OK but a little cold. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. If you must be in the Waukegan area this place is OK for a short stay, nothing fancy. One word of caution the pizza joint across the street now has a bar and on Friday night they have some sort of a car club with loud bass muisic till about midnight (will probably stop in the colder months).

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Lowell, IN
Reviewed 24 June 2009

The hotel received good reviews on website so I expected more of the hotel. Let me start out by saying the girl at the front desk was very helpful and nice. It was very dated but would have been better if it was cleaner. The hallways were dirty and the rooms needed a good cleaning. I asked for adjoining rooms for our party and was told that we would when I made the reservation but when we got there, I was told that they do not have adjoining rooms that have 2 beds in each. The bathrooms were VERY clean and spacious. The pool is very small and it was not heated. Our rooms did have a fridge in each but neither had a mircowave as I believe was stated on the website. It was okay for the money but probably would not stay again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 May 2009

We traveled to Waukegan for our sons graduation from Great Lakes RTC. We were traveling on a very tight budget and ABVI fit the bill.

Hotel is small but well maintained. Rooms are clean and spacious. Equipped with the standard mini-fridge, full size ironing board and iron and one-cup coffee pot.

Beds are comfortable and pillows are very nice (not the standard flat as a pancake variety!). Bathroom is large.

Pool is small but clean.

Staff is what makes this hotel a great place to stay. All went out of their way to make our trip as easy as possible. Restaurants suggestion, directions to and from the base, even loaned me their laptop to check-in online for our return flight.

For those traveling on a budget I recommend the ABVI.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
chicago, IL
Reviewed 31 March 2009

My wife and I drove up from the other side of chicago for my daughters graduation and didn't feel like driving back (chicago traffic is horrible), and we chose to stay at this hotel because they seemed to have all the amenities we were looking for: internet, breakfast, king size bed, and indoor pool. The price was great for the amenites and cleanliness.
The best part of our stay there was how helpful the staff was. They had directions and maps ready for us of the area that listed restaurants and shopping etc. And they are super close to the naval base and six flags great america.
I'm planning a six flags trip with my family this summer and i'm definitely going to stay here since they have discounted tickets and a free shuttle to the park.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple