“Something changed. They used to be decent.”

Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I used to like this hotel, but the last couple times I have stayed there they seem to be going downhill. The rooms aren't as clean and the front desk staff just seems to be going though the motions.
Give it a shot if the other hotels in the are are full, but don't make it your first choice.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank j f
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2013

Dear j f,

Thank you for your valuable insights. Your willingness to spare some of your time to relay your comments is genuinely appreciated. I am truly sorry our hotel was not able to live up to your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 18 June 2013

I stay at this hotel every few weeks for business, and I always have a great experience. The hotel is quiet, clean, and close to a Walmart and several restaurants. I really like the kitchenette and full-sized fridge--great for extended stays. All the staff are pleasant and do what they can to keep you satisfied as a guest. For those staying without a car, their shuttle bus makes a run to Walmart every Thursday in the early evening for those who want to pick up some supplies for their stay--handy option!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Robie S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2013

Dear RoutineTraveler138:

Thanks you so much for your kind words. I am so pleased that you make the Candlewood Suites / Waukegan your home away from home while traveling. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Robie Sustayta
Area General Manager

Reviewed 10 June 2013

We were only at the Candelwod Suites for 2 nights but it was a very pleasant stay. Very clean and the suite had all we needed. We even added my grandson at the last minute and they had no problem. We just took an air matress for him and he slept like a bug in a rug. If we go to the Waukegan area again,which I am sure we will bacause I have family there, we will be staying at the Candelwood Suites.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Easy access to major highways. Very friendly front desk staff. Room was very clean and inviting. In house "store" has reasonable prices. So what's the issue.....?

Bed had deep "dip" in the middle of the mattress. So much so that one naturally rolled into the center of the mattress. Felt like I was falling into a hot dog bun!

1  Thank Albert A
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This hotel is an extended stay hotel with living room, full kitchen and bedroom. The hotel was maintained well and comfortable. There is a free laundry center connected to a work out room. There is also a pantry on the honor system, Grills are available on a lovely porch. There is only weekly housekeeping service, however you can get fresh sheets or towels whenever you want them. Great hotel and Great value!

Reviewed 1 May 2013

This is a clean and quiet Candlewod Suites property located on the far north side of Chicago in Waukegan.
I stay here regularly as my company has an excellent discount rate with the property.
The staff is always friendly, the rooms are always spotless and the location is easy walking distance to many shopping and dinig options at the Fountain Square complex across the street.
Dont hesitate to book here if you are in the Waukegan / Gurnee area..

Reviewed 29 April 2013

In this day and time, cleanliness was my number one concern. I examined the room before unpacking, making sure there were no sign of bed bugs. Not only did I not find bed bugs, but I didn’t find one strange hair. The service staff at this hotel really takes pride in a job well done. The room was so clean! I found the beds to be very comfortable, they are very firm. The room was spacious, we had a queen suite. The hotel did have a strange road entry system, but our Garvin was able to lead us right to the front door. The fitness center had good equipment. The pantry was not completely filled up but there were no holes and there was a good selection of items. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful enough. I had to print the pass to get on base for our sons graduation and I was able to do that in the media center. It was stocked with paper in the printer. You will need the letter your recruit sent you when they first arrived at boot camp for information to put on your pass. At first the area didn’t seem like it offered much of a selection in dining but once again Garvin was able to lead us to anything we could want in less than 5 mile. It was really close to the base and in a very nice neighborhood. I think we took advantage of every amenity and found it to be very nice place to stay. We even checked out two DVD's while we were there. I have stayed at higher rated hotels but I couldn’t imagine one being cleaner.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
#1 of 2 in Lake Bluff
Comfort Inn Gurnee
Comfort Inn Gurnee
#2 of 11 in Gurnee

Been to Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan? Share your experiences!