“Excellent Stay and Wonderful Staff”

Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I stay at Marriott properties at a minimum of three nights a week for business. This weekend my daughter and I stayed at the Courtyard in Waukegan for a dance competition. The staff was amazing they had a room set up for the girls with games and a place to hang. I have to stay the staff here goes above and beyond to make your stay one of the best. Cheers to Christine and the rest of the staff. The next time I go to Gurnee I would stay here versus over by the mall.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Kimberly E
Christine T, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Dear Kimberly E,

Thank you so much for making the Courtyard Waukegan your home away from home while in town for your dance competition!

As the new General Manager I really appreciate your taking the time to post your positive feedback for other guests to see what a great place the Courtyard is to stay and have a group block. I am excited to share your wonderful review with my team. This will certainly motivate them to continue delivering exceptional hospitality! I absolutely LOVED having all the young men and ladies at the hotel! Their energy and excitement was so much fun to be a part of! Whenever possible, I make it a standard to create a, "Hang-out" room for our groups with games and things to do - it really makes a difference for our parents!

On behalf of all of us at the Marriott Courtyard Waukegan, we look forward to making your return visit another perfect stay!

Reviewed 7 May 2012

I traveled locally with a group of colleagues in order to shorten our commute to a client presentation. We spent the better part of a day holed up in a conference room at the property, refining our presentation. The hotel staff could not have been nicer or more accommodating as we worked through the day and well into the night. The food we ordered was delivered on time, and the quality of both the food and the service was quite good. The hotel is not fancy, but it was clean and the room size was generous. All of our needs were met, and we all slept well prior to our presentation. Our breakfast was ready to go at 6:00, as we had requested. Overall, the hotel and their great team made it much easier for us to prepare for our meeting. Great hotel for business.

2  Thank acdhuber

Dear ACD Huber,

Thank you so much for making the Courtyard Waukegan your home away from home!

As the new General Manager I really appreciate your taking the time to post your positive feedback for other guests to view and see what a great place the Courtyard is to stay and have a business meeting! I am excited to share your thoughtful review with my team. This will certainly motivate them to continue delivering exceptional hospitality!

On top of our new lightning fast internet and fitness package our all of our rooms will be remodeled at the end of this year! If you have any other feedback you would like to share feel free to reach out to me at christine.trippi@marriott.com.

On behalf of all of us at the Marriott Courtyard Waukegan, we look forward to making your return visit a perfect stay!

Reviewed 5 May 2012

I just have to say that the staff here is absolutely amazing... I travel to Waukegan every week for work and have stayed at all the Marriotts in the area and have been to many of the higher end hotels around the country like the Eden Roc Renaissance hotel in Miami, but nothing comes close to the staff here at the Courtyard. The staff is extremely friendly, always bright and cheerful in the morning / night, and they bend over backwards to make your stay more enjoyable. You can tell that they really enjoy their jobs and actually care about the people staying at their hotel.

On top of that, the hotel just upgraded and now has the fastest internet out of all the hotels in the area... at some of the other Marriotts you can hardly navigate to google most nights let alone do any work (it has caused me a lot of grief in the past) - so if you need a good internet connection I would definitely recommend staying here.

All in all this is by far my favorite hotel in Waukegan - you may have minor issues here and there but if you bring them to Christine's attention she goes above and beyond to make sure they get taken care of.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a Fridge be sure to ask when you check in and they will take care of you.
3  Thank Tony R
Christine T, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

Dear Tony R,

Thank you so much for making the Courtyard Waukegan your home away from home!

Again we are humbled and honored by your generous comments! I'm thrilled you are enjoying your stay and our new internet. As the new General Manager I really appreciate your taking the time to post your positive feedback for other guests to view and see what a great place the Courtyard is to stay and yes, if you let me know about any concerns I will do my best to correct it. I am excited to share your thoughtful review with my team. This will certainly motivate them to continue delivering exceptional hospitality! Thank you for being a part of our Marriott family!

Reviewed 18 April 2012

For the past 6 years, I have been staying at over 20 different hotels a year. (Usually 1 to 2 hotel reservations a week). These range from some of the nicest hotels in the world to your "average" hotel. I have yet to stay at one where the staff was this friendly. Everything at this hotel is above average but nothing compares to the attitude of the staff from the general manager, bistro staff, front desk staff, engineers, and house keeping. One new benefit.... LA Fitness passes that you can get for free if you are an elite member or for $5 for everyone else.

Staff: Unmatched

Lobby: The "pit" is awesome. There is a nice secluded area where you and some friends can watch TV and hang out in a relaxing area.

Food: Great.

Internet: They have recently upgraded their internet so it is dependent and capable of streaming video/tv.

Pool Area: This is a very very big indoor pool area for a courtyard with nice furniture and tables.

I have stayed at the Residence Inn and the Springhill Suites in the same area.
I found that the Residence Inn is very outdated and the rooms carry a very strong smell of food that the previous guest cooked in it. The Springhill Suites is okay with nice rooms, but I'm not a fan of the lobby.

1  Thank Cody D
Christine T, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Dear Cody D,

Thank you so much for making the Courtyard Waukegan your home away from home!

Wow, Wow, Wow! I couldn't pay for a nicer review! We are humbled and honored by your generous comments! I'm thrilled you are enjoying our new internet and fitness package.

As the new General Manager I really appreciate your taking the time to post your positive feedback for other guests to view and see what a great place the Courtyard is to stay! I am excited to share your thoughtful review with my team. This will certainly motivate them to continue delivering exceptional hospitality!

I thank you in advance for telling all your friends and colleagues about the wonderful service and amenities we offer!

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Wonderful breakfast with best egg whites and whole wheat toast I ever had. Such a friendly staff too!

1  Thank akaka36854

Dear akaka36854,

Thank you so much for choosing the Courtyard as your home away from home!

As the new General Manager I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post your positive feedback for other guests to view and see what a great place the Courtyard is to stay and have breakfast! I will give your compliments to the "Chef!" I’m thrilled you had a wonderful visit with us and I am excited to share your generous comments with my team. This will certainly motivate them to continue delivering exceptional hospitality!

Reviewed 15 March 2012

The friendly service at this hotel set it apart from other Courtyard Hotels and made up for a couple of minor inconveniences. Several of the front desk personnel offered suggestions for restaurants and had discount offers for their favorites. The staff at the breakfast bar seemed to love their jobs, which made mornings a bit more cheery than usual. Unfortunately, the side doors did not unlock with room keys - each evening there was a parade of guests walking around the parking lot from their cars to the front entrance. Also, the lobby internet connection for printing boarding passes was painfully slow. They did say they were going to be upgrading that.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the side near (but not next to) the one elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank novaguest
Christine T, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Dear Novaguest,

Thank you so much for choosing the Courtyard as your home away from home!

As the new General Manager I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post your positive feedback for other guests to view and see what a great place the Courtyard is to stay! I’m thrilled you had a wonderful visit with us and I am excited to share your generous comments with my team. This will certainly motivate them to continue delivering exceptional hospitality!

Yes, our internet is currently in process of an upgrade and it will be lighting fast within two weeks! We are all very excited. Thank you also for letting us know about the issue you had with the outside doors. I have our engineering team on it and I appreciate your feedback - it only helps us to continue delivering the legendary service Marriott is known for!

Reviewed 19 February 2012

We spent a week at the Courtyard Marriott Hotel in Waukegan while attending our son's Navy Boot Camp graduation at Great Lakes. The staff was superior and made us feel at home and welcomed. The General Manager Christine and Front Desk Staff Helen and Dan were standout employees, but everyone treated us well. Our Navy Grad was welcomed at the Hotel, and they even put out decorations for the weekend to celebrate and recognize the sailors accomplishments. It was fun visiting with other "Navy Moms' and dads as we were all so happy to be there and were all so excited to see our sons/daughters. The staff shared in our excitement which we really appreciated. Having Starbucks next door and available in the hotel was a bonus. The location was perfect for us as we didn't use a rental car, but had easy access to many restaurants and a super Walmart for basic needs. Loved the pool and hot tub. They gave us a refrigerator since we were staying extra long which was nice. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Donna C

Dear Donna C,

Thank you so much for that FABULOUS post! I am so excited to share this with Helen, Dan and the whole team!

We enjoy creating a warm, welcoming environment for our Navy families and we are so honored you chose us to celebrate this exciting event! An event like this will be remembered forever and we are thrilled to be a part of it!

Congratulations to your Navy Grad and we hope to see your family again soon!!

Christine Trippi

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee
Baymont Inn & Suites Gurnee

Been to Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee? Share your experiences!