“Great Hotel for Navy Graduation”

Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Hotel for Navy Graduation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2006

I stayed here alone for 3 nights and 2 days for my boyfriend's naval graduation. Hotel was wonderful. I felt very safe and even though I checked in late I got all the requests I had made on my reservation (high floor, non-smoking). Called the front desk a few times for general information and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was fairly spacious, very clean with free internet access. Newly renovated. Housekeeping was prompt. I would leave my room and it would be tidy with fresh linens and towels. I highly recommend this hotel although you might have to pay more, it's worth being comfortable. My boyfriend's dad and brother stayed at the Red Carpet Inn and wished they had spent a few more dollars to stay at my hotel. Although it isn't across the street from the RTC base, there is convenient access to taxi and shuttle services for a small fee.

• Stayed April 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Denver, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2006

Stayed here after reading some of the trip advisor reviews. Worked out great as a base camp for seeing our son graduate from Navy boot camp. Only 10-15 minutes away from the Naval base. Greek restaurant (nothing fancy) on one side and a Starbucks on the other. Several other restaurants and a mall within 5- 10 minutes drive. Clean rooms, nice pool and friendly staff. They charge for the morning breakfast, but the selection was nice. There's a Denny's within walking distance also. Recommend calling for reservations instead of booking them through an online service; this helps guarantee non smoking/smoking rooms. Check the grad package for discount codes for Navy families. Free high speed internet in the rooms and also in the lobby. Highly recommend staying here if you're coming for the Navy boot camp graduation. The Navy Pier and Sears Tower are good places to hang out with your new sailor.

• Stayed April 2006
10 Thank smetlogik
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2005

Stayed here with a Priceline bid of $41/night and it was great. It was 10 minutes away from Naval Training Center and was a bit of a challenge to get to but we figured out how to bypass the expressway/toll road. The hotel smells brand new and the room was clean. Parking is free and high speed internet is offered in the room at no charge. There is also free use of the computer and printer located in the lobby. You just need to sign up for it with the front desk staff. The hotel is located a parking lot distance from Denny's restaurant but not much else. Gurnee Mills Outlet is the nearest big place for shops and food. There is a small snack shop with sandwiches, drinks and snacks located in the lobby and is manned by the front desk staff. Individually wrapped cookies are offered to guests at the front desk. I noticed that they are put out in the early evening time. They are okay but do not compare to Doubletree cookies. There is an indoor pool and spa that I did not use.

We arrived on a red-eye flight and early check-in was not available. We asked the front desk if we could use the phone to make a call and we were told that the hotel did not have a phone we could use and there were no pay phones either. We did not know prior to checking in that a free computer was available otherwise we could have sent a text message to our recruit. Instead, we drove to NTC and used a pay phone there making it inconvenient and more costly as the call was generated from a pay phone.

• Stayed September 2005
4 Thank KIMNGUYEN
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2005

This was a very nice place to stay, close to the Naval Base which is why we came to Waukegan in the first place. There isn't much to do in Waukegan itself, you really need to go to Gurnee. The hotel was spotless, the staff friendly and the pool and hot tub were great!!! The room was a bit small for the price and the mattress was kind of hard but overall I would stay there again. I thought the breakfast bar was pricey...$9.00 per person but you pay just as much next door at Denny's when it is all said and done!!!

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank travelchick2
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2005

Chicago: Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Chicago
Date: Aug. 3, 2005
Reviewer: Navy Mom, Brownsville, Texas

My son recently graduated from Great Lakes Navy boot-camp and I stayed at the Courtyard. I was very impressed with my room and the entire hotel. The employees were friendly, helpful, and professional. Employees at the Courtyard were frequently advising driving directions and offering maps of the surrounding places of interest. My main concern was safety since I was traveling alone. I was able to relax in comfort and felt very safe. The resturant, indoor swimming pool, and gazebo were clean and attractive. I highly recommend families who have sons and daughters graduating from Navy boot-camp to stay at the Courtyard. My Navy son was happy I had stayed in such a clean and safe enviroment. He gave the Courtyard a "double thumbs-up". If I'm ever in the area, I will definately make reservations at the Courtyard.

• Stayed July 2005, travelled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2005

If you have a recruit graduating, this is a great place to stay! It is central to base as well as the Gurnee Mall/shopping area. Easy to get to everything. There is a Dennys next door and a grocery store you could walk to if needed. The hotel is not on Lakehurst drive- the street is now NorthPoint. The old mall is demolished but there is still a movie theatre and bowling alley on the strip. The courtyard has just recently finished being remodeled. New paint, carpet, wallpaper, bedding and furnishings. All very nice. The bed was great too. Plenty of towels, hot water. Nice staff, very helpful. The minute you check in make sure to get on the shuttle list so you can take the first shuttle to base. It fills up fast and by 7:10 the bleachers were over 3/4 full. Alot of people had to sit upstairs in the drill hall.
The hotel indoor pool was working as well as the hot tub. Lots of folks enjoying these. There is a nice courtyard, but in Feb it was a bit chilly to sit out and enjoy! What I liked was the lobby coffee/tea bar open round the clock and free. Nice selection of teas and plenty of coffee. They do have coffee pots in room, but this coffee was better. The lobby also has a small "market" with soda, water, chips etc. STaff was great and very helpful to all our questions about where to eat and how to get there. The buffet breakfast was nice and priced right. To us, this place seemed the most central and the nicest. We did rent a car since from Ohare to the hotel wouldve cost $45 one way! Glad we did as we did quite a bit of driving to restaurants at Gurnee. We were amazed at how easily we got around on the roads, easy to navigate everywhere. Oh, make sure to fill up with gas before you get on tollways, no stations at the airpot either!

9 Thank SAlife
San Tan Valley, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2004

Stayed at the Courtyard during my son's graduation from boot camp at Great Lakes. The hotel is close to the base (about 10 minutes) and close to Gurnee Mills Mall and good restaurants. Down side is, the mattress was terrible and the pool was too cold. This might seem like nitpicking, but graduates are limited as to what they can do on liberty, so you will spend time at the hotel.
The immediate area around the hotel is under construction and looks like a war zone, but the good side is, the staff is friendly and the breakfast is excellent.
A good choice for families of graduates, but don't expect wonders.

• Stayed April 2004
1 Thank Jd318us
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
#1 of 2 in Lake Bluff

Been to Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee? Share your experiences!