“Wonderful stay”

Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

First off let me say that the reviews for the hotel do not give it justice. From the moment I walked through the doors the staff was more than welcoming. The front desk clerk who checked me in by the name of robert couldnt have been more nice along with alicia. Base 42 was among the highlights the food was good but the service was excellent as well. The only downside was the cleanliness of the rooms but when reviewing tripadvisor it was not bad as advertised from previous guests

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Ramada W, General Manager at Ramada Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Maryschueler,

Thank you for generously complimenting our staff. Robert, Alicia, the Base 42 Bar and Grill staff, and all of us are encouraged by your kind words. We are working harder every day to improve service in all areas, and your helpful observations assist greatly.

general manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Marion
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I most likely will not stay at this hotel again. We went in the room and was knocked with an awful smell. It smelled like mildew. It was so bad it made us nauseas. There was a hole in the wall and dirty. I went to the front desk and told them about it an asked if I could look at a room on the second floor and if it was better I would prefer to switch rooms. If not, I would not be staying there the full stay I had booked. They did oblige and that room was better but I still was not impressed. The breakfast was a joke. The dining area was nasty dirty and we had to wait for plates, silverware etc. we did not eat breakfast there after tht first day. We ate doughnuts I had with us.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Ramada W, General Manager at Ramada Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Melissa B.,

I'm sorry that we could not impress you. We are currently amidst a renovation to refresh the property for your next visit. I appreciate that you brought these matters to my attention.

general manager

Travellers are raving about these Waukegan hotels

Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My mother, aunt, my brother's girlfriend and I were told that for our plans (we were going to the Great Lakes area of Illinois to see my brother graduate from Navy boot camp), the Ramada was a convenient place to stay because of its proximity to the Naval base. And it was, but that's about all the good it did us. When we got our room keys on the first floor of the hotel, we started walking down the hall and were immediately hit by a smokey smell, the kind that I've experienced staying in a smoking-permitted room despite the claim that this area was non-smoking. When we opened the door to our room (I stayed in one room with my brother's girlfriend while my mother and aunt stayed in another room across from us), the room smelled super stale, along with that smokey smell lingering in here, too. But there was a really pungent mildew smell as well. A look at the beds showed us that there were stains on the comforters, and the screen to one of our windows was busted out. Come to find, five minutes into sitting in the room that the AC/vent was caked with mold. There were white and blue spots all along the inside of the vent that was currently pushing that air up and about our room and, now, the mold with it.

We immediately requested a room change, along with trying to get an internet signal in that room while we waited; the connection was okay, but definitely not the convenient high speed they advertised. We were moved to a room on the second floor, which was instantly better-smelling (still kind of musty but there was actual evidence of cleaning products being used on this floor). This room, just by first look and smell alone, told us it was an improvement. Further inspection told us it was just as problematic as the first room we had. The coffee maker we had had no pot. When we got a pot, we opened the coffee maker to find a used tea bag already in there. Wondering if it was used or just forgotten, we put water in the coffee maker to flush out any leftover tea... which there was. A lot of. There was even old water in there (more water than we ourselves put in there). For the bedding, there was only one stain on a comforter this time, which I guess was an improvemnt. But when my brother's girlfriend took a shower (which also had stains), she tried using the built-in hairdryer, but it didn't work. Just as well, I suppose, because it looked like it was made in the 1990s and ready to be retired. And the wi-fi was awful. You're supposed to connect to the wi-fi signal that says "Ramada", but we had better luck connecting to either "Ramada207" or "Ramada208" (neither of which was our room). But the internet signal is equivalent to having dial-up. I'm not sure if it's because we were on the second floor and further away from the internet router or something, but it was a pain to even get Google to work because the one-bar signal only worked for 15 minutes at a time.

My mother and aunt had it just as bad if not worse. While all this was going on, they discovered that my mother's pillows had black mold spots all over them. Someone just threw a pillowcase over it thinking they wouldn't notice (the running theme here is that cleanliness is the main issue). So they also immediately asked for a new room. They were given a "suite", but not just any "suite"-- a "newly redone suite".

This was false advertising if I've ever seen it. The suite was also on the first floor, down a couple of halls. Again, smell improved greatly as we walked through the halls and through the door, but it was nothing more than a larger room by... maybe five feet, with different headboards, a microwave and fridge stacked on top of each other like a college dorm room, and one painted red wall (the other walls in that room and all the hotel rooms were an off-white/gray that just made the place look as dingy as it felt). As we'd come to do by now in the 5 hours we'd been here, we looked around their room for mold, and luckily found none. But found what, I cannot stress enough, is the laziest cleaning staff you will ever encounter. My mother's pillows, rather than mold this time, had hairs on them. Some cleaning person just flipped the pillows rather than actually changing the cases (we asked for new pillows, free of mold or hairs). The comforters had stains but we figured as long as there wasn't mold on them, it was okay. The carpet was saggy in some places, clearly not fit to the scale of the room, and the chair and built-in footstool were torn and frayed in a few places. I guess a newly renovated room only means a newly renovated room and not new furniture to go with it. The bathroom was also problematic, mainly with the toilet. Every time someone would flush, water would leak out from the top pipe and down to the floor. We immediately called a maintenance man and he fixed it in about ten minutes by putting some sort of white adhesive/sticky tack around the leaking part. Not the prettiest solution but at least it worked.

The rest of the hotel was just as much of a let-down. I don't know who designed the layout of this hotel, but they should be fired. We stayed here for three days and two nights and we could not navigate anything. It is winding and confusing, and the numbers of the rooms don't even go in order. My mother and aunt's room was hidden because there is one section of the first floor that juts out from the rest of the first floor, which you wouldn't know unless you turned a corner and saw the semi-hidden sign that tells you that (but, when looking for a room, why would you examine it for any signs if all that exists in that corner is an exit?). It was so hard to find, the man at the front desk had to take out a map of the hotel and write in arrows on how to get there. We've gotten lost in those hallways trying to find both rooms so many times that I'm sure we've seen the whole hotel by now. And part of that problem also lies with the entrances and exits of the hotel. Some doors are "exit only" some are "exit only" but actually can be used as entrances, some require key cards, and one required a key card but it was broken so we could just walk in (great security). This made it disorienting for us, because, since the numbers don't ascend/descend in any particular order for more than one hallway, we just kept getting lost. It became an accomplishment if we could find our room in one straight shot. If they just had some sort of hallway that cut across each floor rather than this winding maze, it'd be significantly more helpful. Speaking of hallways, some of them have glass walls like windows. Why, I'm not sure, but it's certainly not pleasant to walk through on an August afternoon with the sun bearing down on you. It also eliminates privacy for some guests, myself included. Our room was diagonal from one of these see-through hallways, and the people walking by could see us as well as we could see them just sitting in our beds. We had to keep the curtains closed the whole time because it was just so creepy. Again, the design-- both architectually and the interior design-- is bad.

The staff at the front desk and the maintenance man who fix my mother and aunt's toilet were very nice and accomedating. One of the front desk people, Robert, was very helpful and always concerned with making sure that we were situated and if we needed help. Needless to say, the cleaning service was awful. I don't even think they clean. They cut corners in any way they can and it's evident that they do based on what I found in these last couple of days. We were so distrustful of them that we had our "Do not disturb" signs up for the whole trip, just so they wouldn't come into the room. We've even told Robert about how terrible the rooms are kept up, and his reply was "Yeah, we get that a lot." You'd think if they "get that a lot" they'd change the way the cleaning staff operates, or even the cleaning staff themselves because what they're doing now is not working. Nothing about this hotel feels clean, which, for a Ramada, is quite a feat. It feels like a motel rather than a hotel, from the streaky windows down the halls to random stains on the walls to that suffocating smokey smell (and speaking of that, our last night here, my brother's girlfriend and I arrived back at our room only to be hit with this dank odor that was so obviously marijuana coming from the room across from us. We were so tired at this point, however, that we didn't complain, since it didn't sift into our room. I know we should've complained, but we'd just come to expect this sort of thing from the hotel by now).

The reason we stayed here was because it catered to families here in Waukegan/Chicago/Great Lakes for the Naval graduation ceremony. That aspect of it was helpful. They provided shuttles to get to and from the Naval base as well as information about the ceremony and what places around town we could take our newly-graduated sailors. There was also a meet-and-greet for all families of people in the navy that had a buffet spread, though we got so hungry waiting we just ordered from Base42, the restaurant attached to the Ramada. It was informative and I like that. On that restaurant, however, it's clear that their staff were not trained for the influx of people that came to the restaurant. There were only 3 waiters, and the one we had just seemed lost the whole time. We sat down and asked if we wanted menus... why would we not if we're sitting down to eat here? She also didn't bring silverware until we pointed it out to her. The wait times in between-- ordering drinks, ordering food, waiting for the check-- were ridiculously long, but I attribute that to, again, them being understaffed and ill-prepared. The food, however, was excellent, almost worth the wait we had.

Overall, our experience was comically terrible. We'd laugh at every new problem we had, or just throw our hands up in frustration and say "Figures." It was nearly unbearable to deal with everything wrong, and apparently we could've had it worse. At the Navy meet-and-greet, we talked to some other families and two of them gave us stories about how the rooms they were assigned were already occupied. One family had this happen to them twice before they finally got a vacant room (I think the staff was just guessing at that point), and another family walked into an occupied room while the actual occupants were having sex (I wonder if the cleaning staff will actually clean that up...). Everyone there was clearly not prepared for this many people, even though Naval graduations happen every WEEK, and I have to assume that they also cater to this many people once every week. The whole time I was itching to call Gordon Ramsay and have him do an episode of "Hotel Hell" on this hotel because that's exactly what it felt like-- Hell. Which is a shame because the reputaion of this Ramada is bringing down the reputation of the Ramada chain. And I've stayed at other Ramadas before; they are not even close to the level of awful this place is.

If you're looking to stay here, only do it for one night and only if your family member is graduating from boot camp the next day because the location is ideal. Then again, there are a few other hotels close by, including a Motel 6. I'd try your luck there before I'd ever try the Ramada in Waukegan again.

Room Tip: If you really HAVE to stay here, go for a room that isn't on the first floor. It smells less lik...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Ramada W, General Manager at Ramada Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Tory1992,

I'm glad we could resolve your room issues by transferring you to a more comfortable room. I will use your helpful comments to improve service for future stays, such as expediting our delicious Base 42 Bar & Grill food to our hungry guests and cleaning the inside of air conditioning units. It is difficult to control the actions of other guests, such as smoking in nonsmoking sections as you detected. Our housekeeping staff works hard to resolve the odors non-compliant smokers cause.

Beaverville, Illinois
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Great nights sleep. We stayed here prior to going to Six Flags Great America the next day. Was exactly what we were looking for at a good price. Great America is "right around the corner" and this hotel is not as expensive as the ones across the street from the park. Very nice interior and good continental breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear bjarv11,

Thank you for choosing our Ramada Waukegan-Gurnee for your trip to Six Flags Great America! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our free continental breakfast during your stay, as you would definitely need a good start to a busy day around the park.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband & I stayed here because it's close to Great America, and the price was decent. Upon arrival you think the place is nice, the lobby is nice & modern looking. Then you get your room, and your sent to a totally different part of the hotel, which is very "dumpy" looking. We were first given a room that wasn't cleaned, and smelled like vomit. The 2nd room we were given hadn't been cleaned either, there were burgers all over the place (this was 10:30pm at night mind you & check-in starts at 3pm). So finally our 3rd try at a room we were given an "upgrade" to a business suite in a newer part of the hotel. It still wasn't great. The carpet looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years, I refused to walk barefoot on it. And you could just tell the place looked like it was falling apart. Don't even bother with the free breakfast, it's not worth it. Wouldn't stay here again if someone paid me!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Icyeyes,

We are currently working to renovate our Ramada. We began with our modern lobby, new Base 42 Bar & Grill, and new pool deck. We will be continuing into the dumpy section you mentioned and replacing the dirty looking carpet. I invite you to revisit us and see our progress!

general manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Gurnee

Been to Ramada Waukegan/Gurnee? Share your experiences!