“Low Quality Inn of Waukegan”

Howard Johnson Waukegan Great Lakes
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Waukegan
“Low Quality Inn of Waukegan”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

This place is a mess, my husband and I stayed here for 3 horrible days, every review that has been written is right on! Do not waste your money staying at this hotel. The smell of smoke is overwhelming, the initial room that we were given had an overwhelming smell of paint thinner or something of the sort, i immediately got a headache. I went back to the counter to request a different room, it was much better than the paint thinner room but still had a lingering scent of "a chemical", This hotel is dated, and dirty...the hallways are never vaccumed and the rooms receive minimal care when cleaned. I will not stay in this hotel ever again! I do know that a lot of people visit this facility to go to the Theme Park or Naval graduation, please remember that YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. Try locating another hotel, PLEASE.

Room Tip: ALL room will reek of cigarette smoke, I can not and will not advise any room at this hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

Two words: BED BUGS! I arrived here Friday May 24th. When I made reservations asked for a nonsmoking room I ended up with a room with the gross smell of cigarettes! Saturday morning woke up with an "insect bite" went down stairs they assured me there's no bugs. Sunday around 4AM I woke up toe smacking my own face because I felt something crawling! Jumped out of the bed turned on the lights had bites everywhere on my face and body! I wish I could upload photos and videos because I took snap shots of the critter in the bed. Honestly you are better off paying a few extra bucks and stay in Ramada INN a few blocks up!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Cassbzf
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

Like many other posters, my fiancé and I stayed at this hotel to attend my brother's naval graduation. If you're looking for a quick stay in Waukegan and not planning on spending time in the hotel room, this hotel did the trick. Very bare and basic rooms. Smelled musty and were not renovated but appeared clean. If you want to be in a "feel good" room and spend time in the hotel, then this is not the place for you. We will not return to this hotel again.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

J Morgan (You) reviewed in the last week
Quality Poor to fair Facilities Poor to fair Service Poor to fair

This establishment has a lot of work to do, all rooms smell like smoke and rooms are out dated and appear filthy. The manager Nicolas refused to provide a refund due to an hour stay. I explained that I attempted to rest, but was having trouble sleeping due to the smoky air throughout the building. Management didn't show any sign of good customer care nor service. When I attempted to contact customer service I was informed they could only report the incident, but was not able to extend any form of compensation because the Quality Inn at 619 South Green Bay Road, Waukegan, IL 60085 is a franchise. I travel for a living and stay at many hotels, this is by far the worst I have experienced. You should be able to get a decent room that is truly smoke free for a decent price, and although there are many out there this particular facility is not one of them.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Sabattus, Maine, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

As many people did, I booked a room here for our son's Navy graduation. I booked through hotelsone.com, so I got a great deal. Now I know why! Though the room was decently priced, it wasn't even worth the price we paid. Upon entering the lobby, which, I must say, was very clean and polished, the smell of Windex was almost overwhelming! Another reviewer described the smell as Lysol. Whichever, I found it quite odd that the lobby would smell that way.

The hallway reeked of mold and cigarette smoke and the room was even worse! The heat was turned up to 77 degrees when we entered the room! The curtain was stained, the sink had no drain cover, the faucet took Herculean strenght to turn on, the tub faucet had to be turned to the RIGHT for hot water instead of the left as is indicated. The TV had only 26 stations to choose from and made a buzzing sound all the while we were trying to watch something. The outlets were loose and there was a mess of power strips behind the TV. None of the electrical plugs were completely connected to the outlets. The rug was filthy. I could go on and on!

The plus side was that the bed sheets and pillow cases were immaculately white and smelled extremely fresh. Also, the bed was firm but very comfortable. And the staff was friendly.

But, if for some reason, I ever had to go back to this location, I would NEVER stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

We stayed here 3 nights for our son's graduation from the nearby Naval Recruit Center. We booked two rooms weeks in advance, and had requested that they be close to each other, if not adjoining. We were issued one on the first floor and one on the second floor. No elevator. The hallways smelled of smoke. Neither of the TV's worked properly. Our bedspread and the bathtub surround both had cigarette burn holes, although we had booked a non-smoking room, and there were stains on the carpet. We were told the shuttle bus to the graduation carried around 30 people. It carried 15 and had to make 3 or 4 runs. The breakfast options were bland. I am not a hotel snob; it doesn't take much to make me happy. Seriously? Pass this one up.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

Great experience with this hotel, quality indeed. Refrigerator was making a noise at check-in, upon reporting the mgt. immediately replaced. Room was clean and comfortable and had everything you could ask for, even a power strip for all your electronics. Unusual to find housekeeping replenishing towels and coffee items, even brought extra blankets; call the front desk at midnight to request wake-up call & they actually answer, no problem. Best full breakfast, including scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, waffles. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful with directions into Chicago, etc. Close to the Great Lakes Naval Training Center, and a restaurant across the parking lot. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
#1 of 2 in Lake Bluff
Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago

Been to Howard Johnson Waukegan Great Lakes? Share your experiences!