“They couldn't wait to for me to leave”

Howard Johnson Waukegan Great Lakes
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“They couldn't wait to for me to leave”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I reserved two nights at this place online so I didn't know anything about it. I don't mind as long as I have a bed, tv, bathroom. But I did have a bicycle that I wanted to have in the room with me. I noted it on my online reservation. When I asked about how to bring it into the hotel they couldn't understand what I was asking. I think there was a bit of a language barrier. They asked a few times if I was referring to a motorcycle. Once I was able to explain that it was a bicycle, they took another 10 minutes to decided if I could bring it into the room. When they said no, I told them to please cancel my reservation and I would find another place. Of course, they then changed their answer. So why would they refuse in the first place? I guess they figured I would just acquiesce.

On the morning that I was due to check out (check out is 11am) I was awakened by vacuuming of the hallway at about 8am. I thought this was odd, since it looked as though that hallway hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. Also, it seemed to start and stop only outside my door, but that could be just my perception. While in the shower I heard housekeeping barge into the room. Maybe they thought I was gone. That was about 9am.

I had to make more than one trip to the car with my bags and bicycle. After the first trip to the car my room key wouldn't work - at 9:45am. I went to the front desk only to find NObody on duty. I had to yell into the back room to get a man to come out and fix my key.

Needless to say, I will not be going back to this place. And I suggest you find another place as well. There are many to choose from in the area.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Maple Shade, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Attending a memorable occassion like your son or daughter's naval boot camp graduation?? Waiting two months to see them and your filled with excitement and anticipation??? Well, this place will not only bring you down emotionally, but physically make you sick!!! There isn't enough space here to explain how filthy the place is, or describe the stench, or tell you how moldy the bathroom is, so just trust me when I say you are better off pitching a tent in the parking lot!!!! This place is an absolute disgrace and should be bombed!! Do yourself a favor and spend a few extra dollars and book a room at one of the hotels in Gurnee. It's only about 10 minutes or so from Waukegan. It will be worth EVERY penny.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank mary s
Alabama
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We chose this hotel because of the shuttle service to graduation at the Naval Base. The shuttle was very nice. We were late making reservations, but the front desk was VERY helpful. Our room was clean. The TV/cable wasn't that great, but that wasn't what we were looking for. Several fast food restaurants and gas stations nearby. Breakfast was scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, biscuits, gravy, waffles, pastries, fruit and cereal. We would recommend this to others. As we were there for Navy graduation, it's not likely that we'll be back, but would stay here again should the opportunity present itself.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

A bit disappointed with the overall condition of this property. It is in much need of a renovation. Overall the facility is just worn. Rooms still sport non-flat screen TV's. Equipment in Fitness room had Out of Service sign that had been there for a while it appeared. The breakfast room was about 90 degrees. The hotel seems to be the main hotel for Navy personnel. I guess the owners dependence on low dollar government contracts does not leave much for maintenance.

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Well had reservations. Showed up to find their debit card machine not working. Was told credit or cash only. I had neither. Only option was to use an atm machine in the lobby which cost me 2.25 extra. It wasnt our fault their machine was tore up so I asked if it would be possible to get 2.25 taken off the cost of the room to make it fair for me. What I got was a very hateful response and was told our reservation was no longer honored and we were not welcome at the hotel. When I asked for a manager " upesh " told me he was the owner and there was no one else to talk to! Took my money across the street to red roof inn! Great customer service there! Great reviews and rooms too! Dont waste your time at quality inn! They are horrible!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 19 June 2013

So waukegan is not a destination place so do not expect nice places here . I stayed here for my daughters graduation from navy boot camp . If you are coming here for that this is a great place . It is an old hotel , very small rooms but clean and very very very navy friendly . They have a shuttle to the graduation ceremony . We took a shuttle from airport , call hotel to get the shuttle to use . When we got there we used the enterprise rental car phone in hotel lobby . I do not know how but we got a cheaper rate that way then on line . The rental car place is only three blockers away . When the recruits graduate they so much want to eat some place other then base . The hotel let our daughter and other sailors eat at hotel breakfast knowing they were not guest . Go navy friendly staff .

Room Tip: The back side first floor rooms face a concrete wall the first floor face parking lot so try for sec...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Anthony D
Waukegan
Reviewed 4 June 2013

This place is a mess, my husband and I stayed here for 3 horrible days, every review that has been written is right on! Do not waste your money staying at this hotel. The smell of smoke is overwhelming, the initial room that we were given had an overwhelming smell of paint thinner or something of the sort, i immediately got a headache. I went back to the counter to request a different room, it was much better than the paint thinner room but still had a lingering scent of "a chemical", This hotel is dated, and dirty...the hallways are never vaccumed and the rooms receive minimal care when cleaned. I will not stay in this hotel ever again! I do know that a lot of people visit this facility to go to the Theme Park or Naval graduation, please remember that YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. Try locating another hotel, PLEASE.

Room Tip: ALL room will reek of cigarette smoke, I can not and will not advise any room at this hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
#1 of 2 in Lake Bluff

Been to Howard Johnson Waukegan Great Lakes? Share your experiences!