“Decent hotel for the money, but rent a car!”

Howard Johnson Waukegan Great Lakes
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
vermont
“Decent hotel for the money, but rent a car!”
Reviewed 20 July 2009

My daughter and I stayed here for the weekend for my sons Naval Graduation. The rooms
are decent, clean the house keeping staff is fantastic! The day front desk staff was very professional and courteous. The complimentary shuttle to the base convenient but ours was late very late and then when it did show up there wasn't enough room for everyone so we had to wait another 10 min for another one. If you stay here rent a car, and either bring your own GPS or rent one. Nothing is close enough to walk to and for what I paid in taxi & airport shuttle fees I could've saved a few dollars and had the convenience of a vehicle. Leave for graduation early there is one road to get in and if you drive in they search the vehicles so that takes additional time. I also recommend ladies wearing comfortable shoes you are going to walk a long way and we saw so many ladies hobbling in there stilettos, not a good idea.
The ceremony was incredible and seeing your loved one is worth any of the expense and aggravation that you may have to deal with.

• Stayed July 2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Virginia Beach
Reviewed 4 June 2008

We were in town for the graduation ceremonies at the Naval Base. The hotel is about 10-15 minutes away. The rooms were a decent size with a fridge and microwave. The bathrooms are tiny. The room was very clean, beds were comfortable, with large pillows. Free wireless is also offered. The wireless worked well most of the time, but sometimes it would have trouble with graphics intensive web pages.

The breakfast was pretty good as well. Pancakes, eggs, sausage, waffles, etc. The staff was very nice and helpful. The only problem I had was my flight was delayed so I was a day late when I arrived, which I notified them as soon as I knew I would be a day late. They still tried to charge me for that first night, but quickly changed their tune after some complaining by me. I also had problems with the key, the staff gave me new keys when requested.

There are a few nearby restaurants, and a very large mall about 15 minutes away. If you try to get to the mall during rush hour then it is 45-60 minutes away.

• Liked — Price and staff
  • Disliked — Wireless
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank WxProphet
missouri
Reviewed 17 September 2007

The room was filthy, holes in the beadspread, dirty toilet, the air conditioner blew out warm air, it was like sleeping in a sauna. No other room was available.

• Disliked — filthy
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank packergirl01
Kentucky
Reviewed 28 August 2007

We stayed at this hotel and found it to be surprisingly comfortable and clean. We had stayed in a pricey hotel the day before in downtown Chicago and it was not as comfortable as this one. A note- if you want to eat out you might want to go into Gurnee. It is only a few minutes away and has a lot there. In Waukegan there is a great public beach.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank Beautifulworld71
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 February 2004

Last year we stayed at this hotel. Our son was graduating from the naval base there. It was close to shopping,dining and about 30 minutes from the airport. The rooms were not that big but we didn't spend alot of time there. They had a little sitting area in the room which was nice. For the time and money we spent I think it was worth it.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
#1 of 2 in Lake Bluff

Been to Howard Johnson Waukegan Great Lakes? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Howard Johnson Waukegan Great Lakes

Property: Howard Johnson Waukegan Great Lakes
Address: 619 S Green Bay Rd, Waukegan, IL 60085-7006 (Formerly Super 8 Waukegan)
Region: United States > Illinois > Lake County > Waukegan
Business Centre with Internet Access Casino and Gambling Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Shuttle Bus service Wheelchair access
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £
Hotel Class:2 star — Howard Johnson Waukegan Great Lakes 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Howard Johnson Waukegan Great Lakes reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Quality Inn Waukegan Hotel Waukegan