“What's That Smell?”

TownePlace Suites Chicago Elgin/West Dundee
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in West Dundee
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I walked into the hallway from the parking lot and almost lost my dinner. My goodness. Not sure what was worse, the smell that permeated the whole floor or the lovely early 80's motif. Our hotel choices were very limited because we had our two small puppies with us. As an aside, the lady at the front desk was very pleasant.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel. Holiday Inn less than half mile away was just renovated.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank W Randal B
Lindsay R, Property Coordinator at TownePlace Suites Chicago Elgin/West Dundee, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Hello W Randall B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback! I agree with you about the early 80's motif. We are just completing our renovation of the entire hotel with an updated style as well as new carpeting, linens and many other upgrades, which would also eliminate any unwanted odors.

I am glad to hear that you had a pleasant experience with our front desk staff and that you were able to take advantage of our pet friendly hotel. We hope you choose us again when traveling to West Dundee.

Lindsay R. Property Coordinator

Reviewed 11 December 2012

My flight arrived late to Chicago and I still had a three-hour drive to Iowa. As it was already dark I decided to find a hotel on the way and continue in the daylight. I had my husband log into my Marriott account and search for a hotel outside of Chicago, close to the 90 West. He booked my reservation on the internet and I programmed the address into the GPS. I chose this property over the Courtyard next door due to the kitchen.

Just on the access road is a convenience store/gas station where one can buy bottled water, snacks, wine, etc. at not crazy prices.

I arrived and checked in. I loved the room, very comfy bed, strong wireless internet signal. My room was right over the pool, which was (thankfully) closed for the winter - otherwise I wouldn't have taken it.

Sleep was great, and used the complimentary coffee supplies in the morning. Bill was slipped under the door around 7:30-ish, and I was ready to jump in the rental car and go.

Recommend this property for business or leisure travel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MsMMiler
Reviewed 16 August 2012

It was prefect for our family - two separate bedrooms and a fold out couch. It has a fully equipped kitchen (which we used quite a bit) and has a complimentary breakfast. Have been here before and will go back again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Craig S
Reviewed 13 July 2012

If you need a full kitchen, this is a decent place to stay near (40 miles west) Chicago. Rooms are decent size and clean. The area was quiet with no through traffic. Parking was convenient. There was wifi in the room, and one computer with free printer in the tiny lobby. I could not access the wifi on the Kindle, though, since you had to be able to get to Explorere first. We had one bed (I think it was a small queen, but could have been a double) and a pullout couch. The first room we were given had water spurting out of the air conditioning unit. When I called the desk, the clerk asked me if I had a/c at home!! Yes, I have it at home and do know that the water (condensation) is supposed to go OUTSIDE and not INSIDE. Despite the desk clerk's attitude, they sent the nicest guy up to check it. Since it could not be fixed, he arranged for us to move to the room next door. No problems in that room. Pool was out of service on the first day, but we used the one next door at the Courtyard. When the pool opened, it was clean and fun for the kids. We also drove to a local city pool called Dolphin Cove, about 5 minutes away and $7.50 for the day which was very nice and great for families. Breakfast was ok-lots of starches (pop tarts, cereal, cereal bars, etc.) There is a gas station/convenience store a short walk away, and we also found the Jewel/Osco about 2 miles away as mentioned by another poster. Nothing much else in the area. The mall appeared to be dying and several restaurants had closed. We ended up eating at Pizza Hut. Lots of starches there, too. The only salad option was a small garden salad. Overall, not a bad stay but not one to rave about.

Room Tip: As in any hotel, top floor eliminates overhead noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank asmommy
Reviewed 28 May 2012

The check in process was fast but the lobby was wierd and unwelcoming. It was also outdated, & was overcrowded. We are a family of 6 and the double suite is why we booked the room. We had 4 kids & 2 adults. The pool is an outdoor pool and was not in working order, the front desk said, but we could use the marriot courtyards next door. The pool was small and crowded and not suitable for teenagers. The suites are average at best, the full kitchens are great for our family - saving $$$ by eating in. There is an Aldi 2 miles away and very cheap prices. The biggest negative I had was the noise. We were put into a suite right next to the stairs and below someone (On a Sunday night - wasn't fully booked) we could hear every step the person above us took and every step of someone coming up & going down the stairs. A few other things like the shower curtain was old and needed changing, no ice machine in the building combined with the noise and the $114 dollar cost of the room, would make me never book this hotel again. We have stayed at several Marriott hotels with the 2 room suites and they have been beautiful and more than we expected, this was a major let down. If we had never stayed at a Marriott before I might have thought better of this hotel, but compared to all the other beautiful Marriots we've stayed at - this would be about a 2 on a scale of 1-10!

Room Tip: If you book here as for a room on the 3rd floor and away frolm the stairs!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Stephanie M
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Overall, the stay was very pleasant except for the comment below regarding our family dog. Our room was very well put together, had a lot of space to move around and our beds were very comfortable.

However, the dog fee is absolutely ridiculous at $75. How this is not an annual fee for rewards members or offered at a cheaper rate to rewards members still baffles me. I haven't heard of anything comparable to this cost at other chains.

Despite the fee, my family brought our dog along, who is very quiet and a very low maintenance small/medium sized dog. However, due to a "room complaint" we were told in the thirty minutes we crated our dog she was barking. In the five years we have had her she has never barked and has never had an issue being crated. The staff insisted in telling us it was our fault another family had to switch rooms. There is no way to say who is in the right or wrong since we were not present. However, the staff made my family feel unwelcome throughout the remainder of our stay (which was one night).

We have stayed at this hotel multiple times and have been pleased with every stay. However, after the outrageous cost for our dog to stay with us for one night and the way we were treated I am unsure if we will return when we visit the area again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank hockeyduck30
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Hotel is about 40 miles northwest of downtown Chicago and is located just a few miles from West Dundee and Elgin.
Positives: full-size refrigerator, 4-burner stove, dishwasher, dishes, silverware and cooking utinsels in room, desk, free connected internet, free wifi on first two floors (doesn't reach up to the third floor, comfortable bed and 4 pillows in each room, average size closet, couch, coffee table, and cushioned chair, and ac worked good, good pool, free gas grill and tables to use outside. This hotel sits just behind the Marriott Courtyard. See if you can use their facilities, since both are owned by Marriott. The Courtyard has an indoor pool, larger exercise area, and for $ 10.95 you can eat a full buffet breakfast. Maxwells is a great restaurant to get Hot Dogs, Burgers, Chicken, Gyros. Within a few miles is a Jewel-Osco grocery store, Bennigans, Red Lobster, Chili's, McDonalds
Negatives: Not really any big negatives. They do offer a very small continental breakfast with juice, coffee, milk, bagels, muffins, cereal, etc... Small exercise room with a couple of pieces of equipment.

Room Tip: Ask for 1st level room offers easier access
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Dundee
Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites Chicago Northwest
Courtyard Chicago Elgin/West Dundee
Hampton Inn Chicago/Elgin
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elgin
Candlewood Suites Elgin - Northwest Chicago
Comfort Suites Elgin

Been to TownePlace Suites Chicago Elgin/West Dundee? Share your experiences!