“Great Local Wine Bar”
Review of Cellar Bistro

Cellar Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Cellar Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 135 Restaurants in Wheaton
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wesley
Transit: The downtown Wheaton Metra Station is 2 blocks west of The Cellar Bistro.
Description: A wonderful little gem in downtown Wheaton just 2 blocks from the Metra. Serving delicious, homemade dishes using preservative free ingredients and hormone/anti-biotic free beef, pork, bison, chicken and eggs. Fresh fish featured weekly, live music every Monday night, a great wine list and quaint sidewalk dining with alcohol service. We buy from businesses within our community, or from small businesses who are an integral part of their communities and try to have a positive impact on their environment. Opened in 2007, this husband & wife owned restaurant was nominated for Restaurant of the Year in 2010. You will be impressed with the ambiance of the small dining room, the personal, attentive service by the wait staff and the delicious menu options.
Wheaton, Illinois
“Great Local Wine Bar”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

After a long week at work, I look forward to driving into Downtown Wheaton, and walking into Cellar Bistro for some nice wine and great, fresh food. I love the fact that they use preservative, hormone and antibiotic-free foods and they buy locally as much as they can.

I do wish they would include the vintage on the wine list, but all in all, I love this place. Their dishes are very tasty and cooked to perfection. The decor is very welcoming and comforting. My son referred to it as "the place with all of the pillows", because they have bench-like seating against the windows, and those seats have great satin pillows with beautiful beading.

They have live music on Sundays and Mondays, I believe, and it has always been good when we were able to stop in to enjoy the tunes.

Stop in; you won't be disappointed!

• Visited December 2013

Springboro, Ohio
“charming small restaurant”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We were looking for a nice restaurant that was open on Sunday night and found a little gem with a lovely, knowledgeable wait staff, good food and wine and great jazz in downtown Wheaton, IL. The music added much to the enjoyment of the evening but was softly played so that you could easily talk at the table. And surprise - wine is 1/2-price per bottle on Sundays if you order an appetizer. A warm, charming delight on a cold Sunday night! We will be back!

• Visited December 2013
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“Thank goodness we asked to be moved...”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Thanks to my pushy co-workers sale of a Wheaton North Falcons Booster Shot coupon book, I finally convinced my lovely partner to dine with me at this cute little (I think it seats around 40) neighborhood "gem". At this point I'm full but not because of my beet salad, wine, 2 cups of water, bite of my wife's crab cake, and scallop dinner...no, it's because I finished her grilled prawn dish.

We arrived on a Sat night (tonight namely, the last full day of pre daylight savings time (if that's what we call it in the fall?)) and there were only a few tables sat, mainly 2 tops. It was super dark considering one wall is mostly windows and it was still plenty light out. For some reason we were sat a two top up against the west wall with some odd art piece sticking out 4 inches. Me being tall, this could have been a potential hazard if I had tourette's or some other tick causing me to jerk to the left with my head. (no harm meant to anyone with any derivative of ticks). The 7-8 top of mostly drunk, loud and poorly matched behavior/age display group put an instanteous damper on the mood. We were'nt the only ones. By the time our waitress showed up (which seemed quite long, (maybe it was the annoying loud chaps)), we were considering leaving. Luckily the other side of the bistro was mostly open and we asked to be moved. Over the next 30+ minutes while dining they sat NO ONE near the overaged "kids". Let's hope they had a DD. So with us now able to hear each other we decided to place some orders. Nate our new and improved server seemed honest, attentive and mostly versed in the food side of the menu citing multiple examples of that being a "new wine", i.e., "I am not sure how it tastes." Yes he did answer honestly when I asked if he was a sommelier. (No) Yo ordered the beet salad (me encanta anything involving beets) and as mentioned previously, my teammate ordered the crab cakes (void of anything green as was pictured by another reviewer). The salad was mostly bland. Plenty of volume and bulk, reasonable considering the price. Fresh ground pepper may have helped. Unfortunately, Nate couldn't turn around 2 feet after serving the other table to offer me some. Yet I soldiered on. The crab cakes were gone in a matter of minutes! I tasted a bit and agreed that they were well done. I completely vasilated between the pork medallions and Nate's recommendation for the Saltambico pollo... THEN I looked more closely and saw SCALLOPS! Me encanta most scallops. Nate said they were "this big" which to me looked like the little ones. Citing that maybe 10 would arrive. They were bigger and six. The dish was just a tiny (and we're talking nanoscale) north of bland. The spinach added some texture (actually that was kale dude) yet the sweet potatoes must have been under bought or the supply chain was holding out... not that obvious in the dish. In short it left me wanting. Luckily my compadre filled up on crab cakes so I got to finish her prawn thing. The prawns totally picked up something from the grill. I wasn't a fan. Yet the pasta and sundried tomatos combined with the sauce to really add some flavor. This is why I'm full! We did have a glass of interesting white, a blend since I'm more of a red drinker. The online wine menu is currently wrong, something with Xavier in the name. Didn't really go, but we picked it on our own. Overall, I thing the place was nice. Not awesome and definitely not a dive. Might go back, leaning towards probably. Our total bill was $83.35, not cheap.

• Visited November 2013
Wheaton, Illinois
“A Quaint Place”
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Lovely cafe style wine and restaurant in Wheaton. Close to train station. Relaxed atmosphere. The scallops and prawn dishes were wonderful. The pizza we thought was flatbread was too heavy and cheesy. Great overall evening!

• Visited September 2013
Chicago
“Very Charming”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

This is a smaller downtown Wheaton restaurant - charming area. Nicely appointed, intimate, fun atmosphere, not to far off from a French Bistro. The service is nicely timed; varied menu, moderately priced - GET the bacon wrapped dates! A nice buzz to the restaurant; we'll be going back

• Visited September 2013