“Better food at Taco Bell”
Review of El Zarape

El Zarape
Ranked #86 of 136 Restaurants in Wheaton
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Do not waste your time. We had lunch there today and the food was terrible. The salsa was bland and the chips were hard. The beans were runny, the taco was plain and they put this nasty red sauce over my enchilada. The food was way over priced. Needless to say, we will not be back.

1  Thank Amy G
There are newer reviews for El Zarape

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Although the atmosphere is pleasant, the food is not good. The beer is cold, and the margaritas are drinkable if pedestrian. My waitress was new and doing her best, but the manager kept berating her thus making for an uncomfortable dining experience. We got charged for an extra basket of chips, which was okay because it was by far the best part of the meal (the salsas are not too bad). If by authentic people are referring to the real possibility of contracting a stomach ailment, I agree. There is no way I would eat here again.

1  Thank mudfoot
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My kids, now teenagers, have loved the food here for many years which is the reason I still go there. Personally I find the food mediocre at best. Add to that the prices have soared ($10.00 for a chicken quesadilla A LA CARTE! and they began to charge for a 2nd small basket of chips) in recent years while the quality of the food has not, yet I have continued to go there for my children. Tonight we went for a treat for the start of the new school year. Without going into lot of details the owner/manager treated us very badly for requesting menus from a waitress after being seated as we watched patrons entering after we did be given water and menus, as well as for my asking that the table be wiped down as our elbows and hands were sticking to the table top from old food that had been smeared on the glass while they had apparently tried to clean it. It had obviously been wiped down without using a wet cloth. The owner reprimanded me harshly, mostly I believe because his kitchen crew heard me and they smiled in acknowledgment and agreement. Imagine to be treated poorly, rudely and disrespectfully in an establishment in which you are paying to be treated that way!!!! We left the restaurant and we will not be returning.

2  Thank CC C
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is a small, friendly place with the typical Mexican fare on the menu, but I always order from the specials, which give me choices I've never seen elsewhere. The margaritas are the best I've ever had, and we always enjoy the flan for dessert.

1  Thank smiminithix
Reviewed 29 May 2013

The best Mexican food in Wheaton, bar none. Best if you appreciate a more authentic taste of your Mexican food. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Rozbo