“It's ok for a few days or so...”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Northbrook Wheeling
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Wheeling
Chicago, Illinois
“It's ok for a few days or so...”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The hotel is clean, the staff is courteous and nice. The management is accomodating to the guests needs. The price per room is a little high. The location next to the Excutive airport shouldn't make the rates higher because this is not a commercial airport. The reno is done and the complimentary breakfast is good. However, it's really not complimentary. Wyndham Suites the corporate company that owns / operates Hawthorns all over, raised the rates on all room types by $4 per room to cover the breakfast, so you're really paying for the free breakfast. And as of November 1st, 2013, the laundry services are no longer complimentary. You have to pay $1.75 for wash, $1.50 for dry per load. There's a laundramat a few blocks away that has $1.49 per load wash... and $0.30 for 20mins dryer time. The internet (wi-fi) is decent. They recently upgraded and it seems to be working faster than before. I just feel that Wyndham Corporate are nickle-diming their guests for every $1 they can get. The room i'm staying in is $54 per night, so that's $378 per 7 days. Just keep all this in mind when choosing a hotel. Thanks and have a great day!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dan H
HawthornsuitesMgmnt, Director of Sales at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Northbrook Wheeling, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I’m glad you found our hotel to be clean and found our staff to be courteous, nice, and felt we were accommodating to your needs. We work very hard to ensure every guest receives the best level of service and stays in a well-kept and clean room.
I would like to address something you mentioned in your review. There isn’t a standard increase in rate throughout our hotels that correlates just to our hot breakfast offering. We recently underwent a $2 million renovation which included all public areas, guest rooms, upgraded Wifi and the addition of a hot breakfast. Our price increase is not something out of the norm. Our rates are very market competitive and we are in no way “Nickle and Diming” our guests. We value each and every one of our guests and we would never take advantage of anyone in that way. We appreciate your business and hope to accommodate you again in the future. Thank you for staying with us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed here for one night. The rate was very reasonable, and the updated rooms were nice and clean. My parents had some loud people above them, but my husband and I had no problem with that. The hotel is still under construction, so the breakfast area is not complete and the fitness center was not open. The "warm" breakfast was coffee and muffins/breakfast bars. I would most definitely stay here again, as the price is affordable and this would be a nice place for an extended stay. Also, being pet friendly for only $15 a night is nice.

Stayed October 2013
Thank you for reviewing the Hawthorn Suites in Wheeling. I’m happy to hear that you found our newly renovated rooms to be nice and clean. I would like to apologize for the noise you experienced in your room, I hope we were able to take care of that for you. Since your visit with us, our Breakfast area and fitness room have been completed. Our new hot breakfast consists of many breakfast offerings such as waffles, eggs, sausage, oatmeal, and other breakfast items. We would love it if you came back to stay with us again and enjoy our new breakfast and fitness center. We look forward to accommodating you again soon!
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed 19 October 2013

They say you get what you pay for so at the price I paid I wasn't expecting much. Staff is friendly, rooms are clean, they seem to have just been updated they look very modern. They have a gym, laundry center, and a breakfast room. They haven't started the hot breakfast buffet but that will be a great addition. Seems like there's still some work going on but nothing big that'll disturb you.

All in all the value for what you get I great. Will deff stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for reviewing the Hawthorn Suites in Wheeling. We recently went through a $2 million renovation and all of our public spaces and guest rooms were redone. I’m happy that you found our staff to be friendly and found our rooms to be clean and modern looking. I would like to let you know that since your last visit with us, our breakfast buffet has been opened. We are now serving a variety of hot foods and would love for you to come back and enjoy the breakfast buffet. We look forward to accommodating you again soon!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Got this hotel through a good deal on Hotwire for a cheap stay near Chicago. Looks like it is in the last stages of remodel as there was still some unfinished areas, but it looks like it's almost done. The room was nice, however the pillows were small and lumpy, so I recommend bringing your own. We had some loud stomping above us but a call to guest services got it promptly taken care of. Overall, it's fine for a short stay like one or two nights.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
HawthornsuitesMgmnt, Director of Sales at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Northbrook Wheeling, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff to be helpful and prompt. Our renovations are in the final stages and should be fully completed within the next two weeks. We would love to have you stay at our hotel again in the future. We look forward to accommodating you again!
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

I booked one night. It's like a dorm.
Parking looked safe to me. Front dear was very friendly.
There is no elevator!
The room was clean. There was some sort of an odour in the hallway but generally speaking. It's ok for the price you pay for a room.
They have no breakfast but only coffee, donuts and candy. Would feel better if they replace those wth fruits like banana or apple actually.
Also hotel has a small workout room. But. Only trade mills were there!
I would probably again since it's affordable to me and clean!

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and were satisfied with our rates and our friendly staff. I did want to point out that we do have 2 elevators that are conveniently located next to our lobby, it may have been difficult to find because the hallway was being renovated around that time. Also our renovation brings with it a complimentary hot breakfast which will be served each morning starting in early November. We would love to have you stay at our hotel again and experience our renovated property. We look forward to accommodating you again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 September 2013

There are having construction going on, the moment I entered the room it smelled paint and polish , when i immediately asked the staff person (Victor) to move me to a different room , he very rudely told me that he can't do that , infact his attitude was really bad. The next day i ended up falling sick and cant go to my work bcos of drowsy feeling due to the strong paint smell .

When i spoke to the morning staff about this smell problem they told me that there were rooms available last night too and victor never left any notes regarding my problem .

So finally they moved me to a new room in afternoon , that night the internet stopped working , and again there answer was due to construction work the internet is showing a lot of problems , the same guy very rudely gave me number of some internet provider tech support and asked me to call them , i told him ,its not my job to call the service provider,but his attitude was again that he doesn't cares anything and if i need internet i need to call them .
I was on call with the tech support for almost 30 min , still internet never came back till morning .

Infact internet was always a problem in my whole stay in this place . It was always coming and going .
The staff is super rude , Its the worst hotel i have ever stayed ...the room service never left any soap and shampoo , i need to go downstairs to get those items each time , i even told them , how can the room service miss the soaps and shampoos , to which there reply was as we have construction going on , for everything there answer was "we are having construction going on"

Please stay way from here for atleast 4 months till the construction is over and paint , polish smell goes way completely . It is really bad smell and bad for health .

Staff definitely needs some good lesson of hospitality industry .Worst Wyndham , infact worst hotel i have ever stayed .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am terribly sorry that your experience at our hotel did not reflect the quality and standard that not only we hold ourselves up to, but the standard that many reviewers have found that we exemplify. During your stay we were going through an upgrade for our Wireless and that is the reason for the constant outages. The upgrade is now complete and our Internet is working perfectly and is much faster than it was previously. I have forwarded your comments to the proper departments and will address this with all of our staff. Our renovations will be completed within two weeks and I hope you will give our hotel another try. Please contact us directly at the hotel to book your next reservation and I will ensure your next stay with us supersedes your last.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
Ramada Plaza Chicago North Shore
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prospect Heights
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#1 of 2 in Prospect Heights
The Westin Chicago North Shore
Baymont Inn & Suites Glenview
Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago/Mt. Prospect

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Northbrook Wheeling? Share your experiences!