“Check-in Mess”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Wheeling
chicago
“Check-in Mess”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Housekeeping computers to front desk were down & our check-in took 45 min. Then when we went into our room, we discovered that that room was already occupied and the people's belongings were all in drawers, closets, etc. We had to go back down to get another room. I understand that it was not the fault of the employees, but I believe there should be a back-up plan.

Everything else seemed up-to-par ~~ bed is quite comfortable too.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
GM_WCNS, General Manager at The Westin Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Thank you for your response. We did have a shutdown of the system but you are correct that we should have used the back up plans better to make your check-in more enjoyable. We will continue to work with the feedback that we receive from guests like yourself to help make this a better experience for you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
brighton, michigan
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed here for my son's lacrosse tournament in July 2013. The rooms are very nice.......beds were awesome......and we also had a nice view of the Chicago Skyline from our 13th floor room. (It was VERY distant........but still looked amazing.) There are plenty of restaurants right in the area. Staff was helpful and friendly. Wish the pool and workout areas were a little larger, but I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a skyline view........it's quite a distance, but still nice to look at!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
I am glad to hear you enjoyed our Skyline view as it is pretty amazing. The Westin Heavenly bed is one of the best around, but you already know that. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some encouraging feedback. We look forward to your next visit.
Washington, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I have done a lot of traveling and this bed was the best, most comfortable one yet! I wish I could pack it up in my suitcase and take it home with me! I came with my niece for a pet grooming convention and expected to be kept up all night hearing dogs bark. I heard none. I slept a deep and uninterrupted sleep. The only constructive comment I can make is that the room smells slightly musty. We are staying one more night, so I mentioned this to the hotel staff and nothing was done. Although all front desk staff have been polite and helpful, one has stood out. I don't know his real name, but he said his nickname was Chicken! He brought a mini-fridge up for us within minutes of asking for one. He had a very good sense of humor and remembered my niece and me as we walked outside later. I would stay here again and recommend this restaurant to friends and family.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback. I think you might be talking about James but could be any of the outstanding associates we have on property. We will investigate that musty smell and i am happy to inform you that the Westin heavenly Bed that you enjoyed so much is available for purchase. Please let us know if we can help you with that purchase.
Florence, Toscana, Italy
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I've been at this hotel many times because close to our HQ. Nice hotel. The newest in the area for sure. There are several nice restaurants walking distance. It's really an hotel for business trips. It has a indoor pool and a pretty small gym. Internet is NOT free. Parking is free.

Room Tip: Try to get the top two floors
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for the nice comments. I am so glad that you enjoyed the hotel and the area. Bigger Westin Workout, might have to work on that one.
Chicago
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Be warned if you do not find a parking space right in front of the hotel, you will be walking quite a bit.

Stayed here due to a conference. Check in was efficient. The room was a good size but few outlets. The bathroom was on the small side with no room for two people to get ready in there. You are charged for wifi per device! Not normal for this day.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thanks for your response. please feel assured that we will address these issues and come up with a better alternative . I am glad that you did enjoy your visit and please keep the feedback coming as it only makes us better.
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This hotel was very clean and quite comfortable. I had a room with two double beds which was ok although I reserved a queen single. The front desk gave me the double because I checked in early in the day around 10:00 AM and that was available and I didn't want to wait until a single was open.

The electrical outlets were a little confusing; if you turned off a switch somewhere in the room it turned of the power off in the outlet and my phone/ computer did not charge. Also one day I did note receive any wash cloths which I did to notice until I was ready to shower the next morning.

The restaurants were ok except that the air conditioning was FRIGID, even the men complained of the cold. The food however was pretty tasty.

Overall, the hotel was clean and has a pleasant atmosphere and is decorated with taste. It did not have that feeling that it needed updating, rather I found it to be very contemporary and pleasing. If some of the minor nuisances that I mentioned were corrected, this would have gotten a five star rating.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback. Looks like we have a little work to do to make your stay a more memorable one. We will take your comments and review these set backs and create a plan to make your experience a better one on your next visit.
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I had problems with the Westin from the time I booked until after I checked out and was very disappointed with the customer service and lack of accountability for their shortfalls during my stay. Among many things that were disapponting, we reserved a king room only to find upon check in that they couldn't give us a king room. I understand things change, but instead of apologizing they informed me that "if we really needed a king, then we should have noted that in the notes section online". We were underwhelmed with the stay. Staff made us feel like we were burdening them, especislly when i called and expressed our disappointment. I stay in many hotels on business and have never been treated as if my business was unimportant, and that's how I felt here.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Modjos
I am sorry to hear that we did not meet expectations. Customer service is very important to us and with your feedback we will continue to get better. Please be assure that you are very important to us and i would be happy to talk more on how we can provide you better service.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
#2 of 6 in Deerfield
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago Lincolnshire
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Deerfield/Lincolnshire

Been to The Westin Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!