“Great property for a business stay”

The Westin Chicago North Shore
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Wheeling
Ballwin, Missouri, USA
“Great property for a business stay”
Reviewed 9 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I most recently stayed at this property in August. It is a beautiful hotel although it is starting to show some wear and tear after 7 years. The service is typically pretty good. The rooms are what you would expect from a Westin, nicely appointed with great Heavenly beds. The fitness center was recently renovated and is very nice, however, most of the weight lifting equipment has been removed in favor of more space for yoga and other activities. As far as dining options go, the hotel has a very good Italian restaurant called Saranello's. There is also a Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant on the parking lot, as well as, several other good restaurants neraby. Overall, the property is an excellent option for a business trip.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
GM_WCNS, General Manager at The Westin Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thanks Randy, for your nice comments about our Westin. Looks like you enjoy your stay when you are here, but specially your experience with the signiture Westin Heavenly Bed. Not sure if you are aware or not , but you can purchase the Heavenly Bed online or if you would like to reach out to me I would be happy to provide you with more information.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The friendly and helpful staff is the best thing about this hotel. They even offered us umbrellas when we were leaving on a rainy day. The location has easy access to the Tri-State Tollway and the North Shore suburbs.

The room décor could use refurbishment. The room is bland, but not in a stylish way. The bed was comfortable, the room size was good, there were enough electric sockets to charge one's technology, the WiFi is better than most, there is a full-length mirror in the room and everything was clean.

The room lighting is a problem. I understand the need for energy efficiency, but the lighting in the room and even the bathroom is surprisingly weak and dim. If the lighting is going to be this dim, there ought to be a lighted makeup mirror to compensate, but the makeup mirror has no light. There is mildew in the grout in the tub/shower, and it needs to be re-grouted. There is a bar to hold onto while getting into the tub/shower, which I like, even though I am an able person.

There is a good restaurant in the building, called Saranello's. Overall our stay was fine, but this Westin could use an update.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank edyrp
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your most recent stay. GOOD NEWS! We will begin a refresh of our guestrooms in the early part of 2014 and address just about everything on your list. If you are interested about finding out more about the refresh please let me know. Thanks again for being loyal to the Wenstin Chicago North Shore.
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The housekeeping was not done timely after two calls to service express. Also, the turn down service was never performed. I have stayed in many Westin hotels and never have had a problem like this. It seemed like the hotel was under staffed the whole weekend as we were there for a wedding.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 11th floor with a nice view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
GM_WCNS, General Manager at The Westin Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us feedback on your recent visit. Looks like we did not meet all your expectations this time around, but will continue to work with the staff to make sure we can provide you better experience.
chicago
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Housekeeping computers to front desk were down & our check-in took 45 min. Then when we went into our room, we discovered that that room was already occupied and the people's belongings were all in drawers, closets, etc. We had to go back down to get another room. I understand that it was not the fault of the employees, but I believe there should be a back-up plan.

Everything else seemed up-to-par ~~ bed is quite comfortable too.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your response. We did have a shutdown of the system but you are correct that we should have used the back up plans better to make your check-in more enjoyable. We will continue to work with the feedback that we receive from guests like yourself to help make this a better experience for you in the future.
brighton, michigan
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed here for my son's lacrosse tournament in July 2013. The rooms are very nice.......beds were awesome......and we also had a nice view of the Chicago Skyline from our 13th floor room. (It was VERY distant........but still looked amazing.) There are plenty of restaurants right in the area. Staff was helpful and friendly. Wish the pool and workout areas were a little larger, but I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a skyline view........it's quite a distance, but still nice to look at!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
I am glad to hear you enjoyed our Skyline view as it is pretty amazing. The Westin Heavenly bed is one of the best around, but you already know that. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some encouraging feedback. We look forward to your next visit.
Washington, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I have done a lot of traveling and this bed was the best, most comfortable one yet! I wish I could pack it up in my suitcase and take it home with me! I came with my niece for a pet grooming convention and expected to be kept up all night hearing dogs bark. I heard none. I slept a deep and uninterrupted sleep. The only constructive comment I can make is that the room smells slightly musty. We are staying one more night, so I mentioned this to the hotel staff and nothing was done. Although all front desk staff have been polite and helpful, one has stood out. I don't know his real name, but he said his nickname was Chicken! He brought a mini-fridge up for us within minutes of asking for one. He had a very good sense of humor and remembered my niece and me as we walked outside later. I would stay here again and recommend this restaurant to friends and family.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback. I think you might be talking about James but could be any of the outstanding associates we have on property. We will investigate that musty smell and i am happy to inform you that the Westin heavenly Bed that you enjoyed so much is available for purchase. Please let us know if we can help you with that purchase.
Florence, Toscana, Italy
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I've been at this hotel many times because close to our HQ. Nice hotel. The newest in the area for sure. There are several nice restaurants walking distance. It's really an hotel for business trips. It has a indoor pool and a pretty small gym. Internet is NOT free. Parking is free.

Room Tip: Try to get the top two floors
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for the nice comments. I am so glad that you enjoyed the hotel and the area. Bigger Westin Workout, might have to work on that one.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
#2 of 6 in Deerfield
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Northbrook Wheeling
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Deerfield/Lincolnshire
Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield

Been to The Westin Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!