“Overpriced and Over Rated” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Chicago North Shore

The Westin Chicago North Shore
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Wheeling
Ohio
“Overpriced and Over Rated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2009

I stay in a lot of Starwood hotels throughout the world because of my company. I ended up staying at this Hotel for 4 days because my SO had a conference at the Hotel. My first surprise came when I found out that this Starwood Hotel is almost double the price of the one I stayed at in Paris several months earlier. That was the conference rate too.

Unlike the amenities at most Starwood Hotels, this one seems to be focused on extracting time and money from clients whenever they can. The other reviewer is right on, it is very expensive. A can of pop is $5 (rather than $1.50 in PARIS) and others things are EXTRAGAVENT.

The staff is also very unfreindly unless you pull up in a limo. The high end crowd seems to be the focus of the staff of this hotel and you know from the attitude of the staff which "crowd" you fall into.

Also - Do not lock you key in your room in this hotel. You will undergo a examination that is similar to waterboarding of terrorists. They asked me in writing to list the contents of MY room, why I was there, etc. etc. Took almost 2 hours... I telecommute and told the staff I have telecons scheduled, but they did not care. I was the one who locked my self out of the room so it was not their problem.

If you are not cindy Crawford or George Cloony, say somewhere else.

BTW: The very nice desk clerk at the NY Westin I was at two weeks before told me that Westin pays their staff to enter "nice comments" about their hotels. If you look at my other reviews you can see I am not a Starwood employee. I wonder about so of the other reviews here./

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank denewco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

I chose it because I'm a Starwood junkie and it was close to where I needed to work. It is conveniently located near a small shopping center with a Massage Envy and full service salon as well as several restaurants. It takes about 20 minutes to get to Ohare without heavy traffic, also convenient. The hotel is quite new so rooms are clean and fresh. The service is hit and miss. I had to wait for help from room service, my wakeup call never happened. Also, they have a very limited room service menu (sandwiches, chips, nothing hot) after 10pm which is bad for me since I work nights and get back to the room late and hungry. However, if you are in the area and want points, it's not a bad bet.

Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2009

No vending machines, you have to buy your soda at their expensive store. Bugs flying around in the hotel including the restarants! No exhaust fans in the bathrooms ~ hello, not to bad if your rooming by yourself but come on, a bathroom without a exhaust fan? Certainly not worth the high cost of staying there. They are stingy with their coffee too. They charge you for extra packs of coffee. I don't recommend staying there. There's plenty of cheaper hotels that are nicer! I forgot to mention, you can hear other guests conversations through the vents.

3 Thank tgv50
Great Neck, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

I've been staying at this hotel for a few months, and it is everything you expect at a Westin. Good, clean rooms. Heavenly Bed. Flat panel TV. Fitness/pool. Good spread at the Executive Club. Good staff. These are the reasons I keep coming back.

1 Thank Shuttle_Flyer
illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2009

The Westin Hotel is nice we were 15 floors up so we watched 4th of july fireworks all over the city its very very nice and is pet friendly so yea!

• Stayed July 2009
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2009

The hotel is very nice. Good rooms, very spacious. The only drawback is there are at least two ballrooms that they rent for receptions, etc. There was a very large party going on the night we were there. We could clearly hear the thumping bass from the music, and we were on the 8th floor!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Baltimore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2009

I had a quick one night stay at this Westin during a trip to the Chicago area. I was suprised to find such a nice large hotel in the area. Overall the place is your typical Westin with nice rooms and common areas. If you enjoy walking or running there is a very nice trail that runs along the small river/creek behind the hotel. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was decent and the area also offers several dinning options within a short distance of the hotel. We walked across the parking lot to a place called Claim Jumper (???) and had a very nice dinner the night of our arrival. The hotel does have several restaurant options but they seemed to be more pricey and high end that the alternative we chose. Overall a very nice stay!

Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Northbrook Wheeling
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
#2 of 6 in Deerfield
Ramada Plaza Chicago North Shore
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Deerfield/Lincolnshire

Been to The Westin Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!