“Very Comfortable, lovely service, great business hotel”

The Westin Chicago North Shore
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Wheeling
St Albans
“Very Comfortable, lovely service, great business hotel”
Reviewed 7 May 2010

One night stop for business meeting. The hotel is large and very comfortable, big rooms with the lovely Westin beds giving a great night sleep for the jet-lagged. The service was faultless, they also have a complimentary shuttle bus to take you from hotel to local areas and back to the hotel. The rooms were good value too. The wi-fi connection was excellent and on $9.95 for 24 hours. Handy for airport too, but would not recommend if you want a venue in the centre of Chicago, this is some way out. Will visit again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Reviewed 28 April 2010

If you are traveling to the Chicago suburbs, this is a great hotel. The hotel wasn't full when we stayed so we had the place to ourselves. The staff was great (as they usually are at a Westin) and the room was clean and spacious. There is a great restaurant on site and several other places to eat within walking distance and more within a very short drive (less than a mile). I will stay here again when I travel to this area.

Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed 16 February 2010

What sort of $200+/nightly business hotel refuses to serve food -- or even a drink -- at its bar at 9:30 pm on a Monday? That would be this one.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Germany
Reviewed 17 November 2009

We were back at this Westin for the second time in October 2009 and liked it even better than in 2008. We were there for the Pinball Expo, and the hotel gave participants a really good rate on the rooms. Unlike last year, when we had to order the expensive breakfasts, they had a delicious all you can eat breakfast buffet this year, which had a fair price - that was fantastic! And they have excellent tea too!
One morning, a bunch of very big eaters had completely cleared out the buffet within 5 minutes, and there was practically nothing left for guests arriving after them.
The staff was great - they really raced around to serve everyone and refill the buffet. It was really stressful for them, but they stayed graceful, friendly and patient!
The cleaning staff was also really nice, only the front desk people seemed a bit bored and weren't so patient at times. I had a few questions every now and then, and was a bit disappointed about their responses. But overall, I found the service to be better than in 2008!
Someone else wrote something about the fast elevators - that's true - you never had to wait for one!
I love their high-ceilinged lobby, tastefully decorated rooms (e.g. the black and white photo prints of Chicago everywhere), and last but not least the truly heavenly beds!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Ginagermany
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 27 October 2009

Being only 1 of 2 hotels in the area our company hasn't much choice but to put us in the Westin every time I have to attend a seminar in the area. The rooms and decor are amazing, cleanliness isn’t a problem and check-in staff members like Cassandra are very helpful and courteous, the restaurant service is decent, however, you can’t rely on the complimentary shuttle service or concierge service for anything.

My co-workers and I have heard several versions of their Shuttle service policy none of which make sense. For example: two shuttles, two drivers but only one shuttle has ever been made available at a time. Want to go to dinner and reserve the shuttle for the evening? Come back in the afternoon or every 20 minutes prior to departure in the hopes of being able to get your name on a list which disappears half the time. Another great example was when I requested a ride to our office literally a 7 minute drive down the street with both shuttles parked at the hotel, I was told to get a cab instead because the drivers were "busy". The crew that manages the shuttles is uncouth and I along with the rest of my peers have learned not to bother and call cabs to take us 8 miles down the road. Need recommendations on places to eat? Don't bother, they'll simply point you in the direction of their own restaurant or the two located in their plaza. All others require them to drive you.

I've been quite happy during my stay at other Westin properties; but the Westin North Shore has left a bad impression the last few times I've had to stay there. With a bad economy and many companies opting to relying on hotel shuttle service to get their employees around, the Westin needs to step up their game. Heavenly bed, hellish shuttle service.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Magoo190
Ohio
Reviewed 9 October 2009

I stay in a lot of Starwood hotels throughout the world because of my company. I ended up staying at this Hotel for 4 days because my SO had a conference at the Hotel. My first surprise came when I found out that this Starwood Hotel is almost double the price of the one I stayed at in Paris several months earlier. That was the conference rate too.

Unlike the amenities at most Starwood Hotels, this one seems to be focused on extracting time and money from clients whenever they can. The other reviewer is right on, it is very expensive. A can of pop is $5 (rather than $1.50 in PARIS) and others things are EXTRAGAVENT.

The staff is also very unfreindly unless you pull up in a limo. The high end crowd seems to be the focus of the staff of this hotel and you know from the attitude of the staff which "crowd" you fall into.

Also - Do not lock you key in your room in this hotel. You will undergo a examination that is similar to waterboarding of terrorists. They asked me in writing to list the contents of MY room, why I was there, etc. etc. Took almost 2 hours... I telecommute and told the staff I have telecons scheduled, but they did not care. I was the one who locked my self out of the room so it was not their problem.

If you are not cindy Crawford or George Cloony, say somewhere else.

BTW: The very nice desk clerk at the NY Westin I was at two weeks before told me that Westin pays their staff to enter "nice comments" about their hotels. If you look at my other reviews you can see I am not a Starwood employee. I wonder about so of the other reviews here./

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank denewco
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 September 2009

I chose it because I'm a Starwood junkie and it was close to where I needed to work. It is conveniently located near a small shopping center with a Massage Envy and full service salon as well as several restaurants. It takes about 20 minutes to get to Ohare without heavy traffic, also convenient. The hotel is quite new so rooms are clean and fresh. The service is hit and miss. I had to wait for help from room service, my wakeup call never happened. Also, they have a very limited room service menu (sandwiches, chips, nothing hot) after 10pm which is bad for me since I work nights and get back to the room late and hungry. However, if you are in the area and want points, it's not a bad bet.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
#2 of 6 in Deerfield
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago Lincolnshire
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Deerfield/Lincolnshire

Been to The Westin Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!