“Chicken King”

Ranked #1 of 54 Restaurants in Willowbrook
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket is a historic roadhouse on the famous Route 66 specializing in fried chicken and American comfort food. Enjoy a vast array of dining pleasures including the Famous Fried Chicken in a Basket - a half fresh Grade-A chicken cut into four pieces, hand breaded, and deep fried! We have all your favorite sides including mashed potatoes, green beans, onion rings, and Mac & Cheese, just to name a few. Our birds are special! Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket fries in trans-fat and cholesterol free soy bean shortening. The birds are cage free, non-GMO, antibiotic and hormone-free. We only use USDA Grade-A birds that are fresh and never frozen. They're marinated for 24 hours and always cooked for your order. It's this kind of quality that sets Dell Rhea's apart from the rest! Every day you'll find special mouth-watering deals like Saturday's Roast Prime Rib Dinner. Friday's Lobster special, and 50% off a second meal on Tuesday! Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket has been in countless Route 66 documentaries and travel books on Route 66 and has visitors from around the world on a regular basis! Our goal has long been to serve our customers the freshest, most outstanding food. We also promise to provide you with the best service in the world. We would like to thank you for 60 plus years of loyalty, and we would like to ask for another 60 years of that same loyalty.
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Was my name as a kid. Sliders? Sure! Whoppers? Of course! But chicken, the beauties of the barnyard, was my forte. As a toddler, I recall hiding under my aunt's table reaching up, snatching raw, breaded chicken legs. With this in mind, I made my first trip to Chicken Basket.
Ambience is that of roadside highway restaurant which is exactly what it is. The service was friendly and attentive. But the chicken...
It was PERFECT. The chicken was ridiculously juicy without a trace of pink, a delicate balance indeed. The crust was delicate and crisp. It really couldn't be any better. It's worth the half hour wait for perfection.
My step daughter had chicken strips which seemed overfried and hard.
Nice beer selection.
What took me so long?

Reviewed 18 June 2014

we stopped here because of diners driveinns and dives. I had the fried chicken and it was done just right with out too much breading. it was very good and also the service. it was the right price too. not fancy but good and a lot of it too. worth the stop.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is an iconic place of Route 66 and still has not lost its charm. There are plenty of people, food is great, portions are large, drinks are terrific... We came there twice during our 4-days' stay in La Quinta hotel nearby and sightseeing in Chicago. We are raving fans of Mother Road, so seeing places which still keep the style and are fully operational is a great joy for our family. Terrific experience!

1  Thank Tadeusz Z
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We saw Adam eat here on "Man vs Food" and it was top on our to do list on Route 66. We arrived too early so had to amuse ourselves until it opened at 11am but it was worth the wait. They were serving a lunch buffet which all looked fairly basic but we were told the chicken would be the same as the stuff on the menu. We started with soup, chicken dumping, which was simple but really good. Then tucked into multiple visits to the buffet. The chicken lived up to all the hype. Crunchy on the outside, soft and juicy inside, piping hot (despite being on the buffet) and so many cuts of chicken to choose from too. Everything else on the buffet was just as good, creamy mash, crunchy veg and tasty American gravy. The brownie afterwards was also to die for.

1  Thank chadtay14
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We tried a variety of items here, seeing as though we drove 2.5 hours just to try it out based on the review on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives...and fried chicken is one of my favorite things.

I will begin by saying for having driven so far, we hoped for better service. When we walked in the door, I expected such a fun place to be...well, fun. It was 8:30pm and they seated us in the bar area for some reason, instead of the very open dining room. The bar was smaller and a little depressing. Our server was nice enough, but I didn't feel she was very fun or overly friendly. We tried several items and had lots of leftovers.

Jalapeno poppers: home made and delicious. Spicier than the frozen type because it looks like they chop up jalapeno in the cream cheese filling.

Gizzards appetizer: very, very yummy, if you like gizzards. Very tender and the corn meal breading was perfect. I did not, however, like the spicy bbq sauce it came with.

Corn Fritters: a little greasy, but was a nice accompaniment for all the other fried things.

Mac & Cheese: very good...and a HUGE serving of the yummy stuff grandma used to make. I noticed some people mention that they felt the cheese had "gone bad" in it because there is a grainy texture. Baked mac and cheese is usually made with sour cream, which gets a bit of a curdled effect when you bake it. It's supposed to be that way!

French Fries - nothing special, typical frozen shoestring...didn't even eat them.

Fried chicken - very good, not very seasoned, but I enjoyed the corn meal based batter. The way they make this, the corn meal batter is a very crispy "shell" that holds in all the heat and juices. Very good, and if I lived near there, I'd probaby carry it out every once in a while. My husband said it was the best chicken breast he's ever eaten.

All in all, it was a lot of fried food and I kind of hated myself when we left with all the to-go containers, but I'm glad I went. Again, if I lived there, I'd probaby order chicken and mac and cheese carry out every once in a while, but I felt the service and atmosphere lacked. The water glasses are small and I found myself looking around for our server a few times. Once she was chatting with the only other table in the bar, probably regulars...she had her back to us, and she was chatting for quite a while. The other time, she was cleaning out the salad bar. On our way out, we opened the front door to leave and two staff were sitting there smoking and said goodbye. They need an employee smoking spot in back. No one wants to see the people who cook and serve their food smoking.

I think the restaurant really needs to ramp up their service...the publicity on TV has caused people to come from all over, and they want to feel welcome.

1  Thank Naomi S