“Trash!!!!”

Knights Inn - Wilmington
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wilmington
“Trash!!!!”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Stay away from this place!!!! Employees treat you with their a... The place is a hole... I will always close my eyes when I pass by! Terrible experience

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank pulea

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I will say that based on previous reviews, I booked a different hotel than this one. My colleague, whom I roomed with, booked this one in case it was better than the reviews. He was upfront about the reviews when booking the room, and was told that they are remodeling and working to change their image. From what I saw first-hand, they're doing pretty well - good enough that we switched to this hotel which was closer to where we were working. We were able to check the room out prior to taking it, and I suggest others do the same to make sure you're getting what you want.

One thing that was mentioned before is the smell of the hallway and entrance. It's still there - kind of musty, and the carpet runner is stained and could stand to be changed. But the room we had was nice - rather large with 2 queen beds. The bathroom is a little cramped, but that's not too bad. The shower was a little weak pressure-wise, but the hot water was definitely HOT! We had a small fridge sitting on a luggage bench along with a microwave, older TV (CRT), chest of drawers and an armoire (no coffee maker).

The good: Again, the rooms are sizable. At no time did we see any bugs, either. The beds, for the most part, were comfortable. Most of the other occupants of the hotel seemed to be there for the same purpose me and my colleague were there for, so it wasn't rowdy or too noisy. It's right off the highway, so finding it isn't a problem. The convenience store is open 24 hours, so if you needed to get a snack or something, you can get it at any time without having to drive someplace.

The bad: The TV has limited channels (about 20 maybe?). The WiFi is sketchy at best. I found myself having to disconnect/reconnect at times, sometimes 5 or more times just to get a solid connection, and then it might last an hour, sometimes 3 hours, sometimes 10 minutes. A couple of times we did not have an adequate amount of towels (2 people in the room and one bath towel?) nor was there a bath mat. I had to make a trip to the desk (which is located in the convenience store on the property) to have someone get me towels and a mat. And when we checked in and tried negotiating about an extended stay (30 days), it was like pulling teeth because the guy we were dealing with spoke broken English at best, and the lady we were dealing with wouldn't stay still long enough for us to talk to her and would not let us get a word in edgewise.

Also, the location is a little out of the way. Unless you want to eat at the restaurant on the property (which I never ate at myself, so I can't speak to that), you have to drive 15-30 minutes for food. Joliet is about 30 minutes away, and you'll have no problem finding something to your liking. If fast food is all you want, there's a Dairy Queen at a gas station 2 exits south, and a McDonald's at a gas station 4 exits north. At that same exit, there's a Subway that's open 24 hours. For more "sit down" type food, though, Joliet is probably the closest bet.

For the price we paid and based upon the previous reviews, my "average" certainly is warranted. Again, don't go here expecting a "Hilton" type experience, but then again, compared to previous reviews, this was an excellent stay and worth the flyer.

One thing I will say is that if given the opportunity to stay here again, I would. Those of you who had bad experiences previously might want to book this hotel and maybe another "just in case".

Room Tip: Double rooms (2 queens) are downstairs. King beds are upstairs. Both offer smoking rooms. There i...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Brown
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Bring your cleaning supplies. The staff seem helpful but had a time getting requests done. Took me three time to the desk after check in to get things lined out. The lobby wasn't attached to where the rooms were. We recleaned every surface that we could without washing the linens ourselves. We stayed two nights because we had race tickets for the weekend. They didn't make the beds or vacum and only left two towels when there were four people in the room. Breakfast was only a coupon to a neighboring diner and they only gave out one and we had two nights. I have stayed in worse but I do not need to repeat this experience.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Wilmington hotels

roseville
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We did not stay here.We did purchase a room. When entering the hall it smelled and looked neglected . Upon entering our room we decided we would check it out before bringing in our stuff. We discovered bugs (baby ones) not sure if they were roaches or what..They were all around the sealer strip on the fridge.At least 15 to 20. We looked at each other and headed for the door.When we told the person at the desk he said thats ok we will give another room . No thanks I want my money . He did give us a receipt showing it was taken off the card.

Room Tip: Check for bugs if your going to stay here. Out of 5 different motels we have stayed at this summer 2...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank willcat001
Chaseburg, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Ok, we stayed 3 nights here! 1st night-- took us 1hr to check in. My roommate found an old gross, yellow, toenail in her bed. It actually poked her to get our attention. 2nd night -- I took a shower with dandy long legs. Yummy to see that while you shower. 3rd night -- the water had a weird smell to it??? We witnessed them telling other people that there stay was guarented since they had it pre-booked and when they came back that night to check in, they gave there rooms to someone else. Wow!! No trust in this place. One more thing, we booked our rooms in Feb. 2010 for the July nascar race and got rooms for $39 a night. When we got here to check in, they wanted to charge us another $150 per night or stay?? I had a copy of my pre-booked reservations and said sorry, no way i hell we are getting charged anymore per night. Over all, the place was not up to par and we will never stay in a Night's Inn again, no matter what city or state it is. We fought with the upper management and they gave us a whopping $50 back for our bad stay and rude treatment by there management at motel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank supers24
Genoa, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 July 2010

The WORST place ever to have stayed in. Let me name the issues : 1 hour to check-in due to booking issues (made and paid for rooms 5 months prior - wanted more money due to a event in area) spiders in the bathroom, no FREE breakfast that we were told at booking,no coffee pot in room,water on our last night staying smelled of sewer (very bad) , and a very large,discolored toe-nail was found in one of the beds the first night of staying; GROSS!! If we would have known of any other hotels in area that were not booked for this event , we would have raced to the nearest one. People working were very rude ( woman ) and all staff were not in a "rush" to help people. They were to busy talking on their cell phones and going to the store portion of this hotel/gas station. I also witnessed a couple who wanted to check-in,had paid for the rooms,was told by this rude woman that she had other problems to deal with in store and that the couple would not lose their rooms regardless of what time they came back and guess what--- they lost their rooms (smoking) but were given non-smoking instead.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 31 August 2009

We stayed here one night while moving our daughter to college in Chicago. You enter the property by driving past a tractor trailer cemetery and through a large gas station off I-55. When we pulled up to the motel entrance, a sign on the door advised that we were to check in at the gas station. Weird...When I drove around the motel to get to the station entrance, the only cars in the motel parking lot were three vehicles in various stages of decay. Oh, and one of the windows in what should have been the motel lobby was boarded up. I expressed some concern to the gas station attendant about spending the night, and was told that other people were staying there that night, they were just out doing "something". And that there was a 48 hour cancellation clause so I would be required to pay for the room whether we stayed or not. She asked that I please go and look at the room as they have been renovating. No doubt due to whatever had caused the window to be boarded up. We decided to at least take a look at the room, and indeed some renovation had been done. A granite counter in the bathroom was coupled incongruously with a bathtub missing some pieces. But we decided to stay since our car was withing easy viewing of the room window. When I went back to the station to check in, they had problems with my reservation insisting I had booked through Expedia. I told them I had booked directly through the motel website, and finally had to produce my emailed confirmation before they could proceed. Then they had issues trying to process the credit card, so I'll be watching to make sure I don't get double or triple charged for our lovely stay. The room itself was large, and the bedding was okay. There are no frills in the room, and even the shampoo is in a single serving foil packet. The towels and washcloths were so thin you could literally see through them. When we went to bed there was only one additional car in the parking lot. Unfortunately three other cars arrived in the wee hours of the morning, with loud and boisterous guests coming presumably from the nearby racetrack. The only redeeming feature of this place is the 24 hour restaurant located on the other side of the gas station. It had great food and service at a reasonable price. Stop for the food, but not the stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Kim W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Minooka
Best Western Joliet Inn & Suites
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#2 of 5 in Morris

Been to Knights Inn - Wilmington? Share your experiences!