“Lovely Experience”

Add it.
Sun Inn Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Winthrop Harbor
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Recently, we stayed at the Sun Inn Motel (fka Sandpiper) in Winthrop Harbor. It was our family reunion and there were 33 of us staying there. We practically had the place to ourselves. It was very comfortable, quiet and peaceful. We enjoyed gathering together every morning in the breakfast room for coffee, donuts and fruit. It was great visiting with family members-some we hadn’t seen in six years and some we’d never seen before! The staff was very kind and accommodating. The rooms were fine. Several people commented on how comfortable the beds were and what a good night’s sleep they got.
From the outside, it looks like another old building but inside is a pleasant surprise! It looks like they’ve been remodeling and redecorating with new carpet, new shower curtains, hair dryers, Etc. Each room has a mini refrigerator and microwave and free WI FI.
They also gave us a ridiculously low price for the group. All in all, it was a good experience. We were lucky to have found such a nice, affordable place.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank _-Jarred___S1

Reviewed 30 August 2011

I have been to the Sandpiper Inn a few times with my family to visit the marina and have like my stay there. The Sandpiper Inn is no longer the name and has changed to the Sun Inn. When I arrived I was told of the name change and also the new owner and new management of the hotel. As i checked in, the manager on duty didn't have the best English, but that wasn't an issue to me. The staff seemed very nice and gave me a great clean room with a king size bed. Wi-fi worked fine and so did everything in the room that I had used. Refrigerator, Cable Tv, microwave, iron, hair dryer and all was very nice to have because I was staying with my family. Also the price was $45 with tax, which for the quality of the hotel is the best price ive ever paid. They serve complimentary breakfast that consists of donuts, muffins, bagels, coffee and iced tea. As a customer, all this i great especially for the ridiculous low price. My family and I enjoyed it and found it too good to be true. Will come back soon and recommend to others.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Sam S
Reviewed 14 January 2011

The price was great and it is very close to the marina and the Wisconsin border. If you are looking for a no frills place to sleep, this is it. I was told it had WiFi but I did not have my laptop. They did have HBO

This was one of the oddest motel experiences I have had. Not a bad experience, but odd. The showers were great. The mattresses were barely acceptable. The motel was in general disrepair. Ice machines did not work. Soda and laundry was out of order. Trim around doors was unmatched and falling apart (not a big deal, just odd). We had to change rooms due to broken heaters, hair dryers, toilets, telephones, etc. Bathrooms in both rooms were clean, not fully stocked, but clean.

Donuts in the morning were freshly made and excellent. Coffee was watery, warm not hot and in short supply. There was a microwave in the room to heat your coffee or tea. Fridge in room. Snow removal was prompt.

"Shash" at the front desk was odd but very accomodating and professional. He seemed kind of lost like it was his very first day on the job, but 5 days later he was not any smoother. Really nice guy, just odd. He worked hard at selling the property. He was always willing to work with us. He did not give any information to visitors, which I respected.

If they charged a higher rate, I would have left angry. For $35/night, I was ok with it and will stay again. As long as you don't take things too seriously, this is a decent value. This place has potential to be a really nice motel, but then the price would rise. This site asks me if I would recommend this place to a friend... depends on the friend. Some would be appalled. I was entertained.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank direwolf371
Reviewed 7 August 2010

Sandpiper Inn is a must stay. We have family in IL and stay at the hotel each year, for the past 3 years. Our recent trip we notice its under new management and the staff is very friendly (they make you feel like family), and the rooms are amazingly clean. The room prices are the best prices possible, this time we got the jacuzzi room for cheaper than a regular room in the area! A must stay, and a life time visitor!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WIguest
Reviewed 28 September 2009

It has been 4 years and 7 months since I was at the Sandpiper with my Mother.
She was a cancer patient and we enjoyed staying at the Sandpiper, everyone
was so nice to us. I miss everyone there and most of all I miss my Mother.
She passed away on 3-14-05. If I ever have to go to Midwestern Regional
Medical Center I will stay at the Sandpiper. May God bless each and every one
of the staff at the Sandpiper.

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2007

I visited Winthrop harbor for cancer treatment center. We rented a room at Sandpiper Inn and we will for rest of our trips. Hotel staff is so co-operative, loving and kind. They know how to treat individual. Very cozy place. Regarding property, they have remodelled the property so one would like it. We love this place.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank rocks_northbrook

Been to Sun Inn Motel? Share your experiences!