“Room was okay when we finally got it.”
Review of Sun Inn Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sun Inn Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Winthrop Harbor
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Apparently there was a misunderstanding as to the date of our reservation. I wondered about weather or not he got the numerical date right, as we repeated it back and forth several times, but we also repeated the day of the week back and forth so I thought all was well. He had quoted me a price of $50 for the room. When we got there, I was told that the reservation was for the wrong day and that they would try to get us a room ready. He charged me $65, apparently for the inconvenience to him. He said it would take about 10 min. We checked every 10 min. but they kept saying it would be about 5 more minutes. After about 40 minutes, when we asked yet again, they told us the room was ready. Although we were right around the lobby, and checking regularly, no one bothered to tell us.
During our wait, my daughter and her husband arrived with no previous arrangements. I told them they may not be able to get in there since they seemed to be struggling to get a room ready for us. They checked anyway, and got a room immediately for $50. They were settled in before us arriving 45 minutes after us, with no reservation, and at a cheaper rate.
When we finally got into the room, it was okay, although we had a roll-away instead of the double queen we had wanted. The big problem was the air-conditioner didn't work. It was on when we left for dinner, but when we came back, it had been unplugged and there was black soot around the outlet. I was afraid to plug it back in.
The room was fine (apart from the lack of air conditioning) but the trouble getting it was more than it was worth. We've stayed here years ago with no problems, but we won't be back even though it is just 1/2 a block from my brother-in-law.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Sun Inn Motel

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I had nothing but a difficult time communicating with the hotel management. They almost mischarged me for 3 nights when I said I'd be there 2 nights and 3 days, and when a friend of mine showed up who I had paid for in advance, the management told my friend they had nothing on reservation for him. I had to talk to the manager's manager just to get a refund on a room I didn't use. This place is a hassle. It's also dirty. There was a bunch of skin floating around in the jacuzzi even after emptying and refiling. Another person I was with said they found an emptied out bag of cheetos under their bed. What is wrong with this place? It's called the Sun Inn now, and it's horrible. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2013

This hotel is $40 per night for a single king room. Basic cable and basic tv, room was clean, WiFi worked great, Staff was very nice, and breakfast is not fancy but all was fresh. Limited Smoking rooms are availible. Hotel is a sportsmans paradise the Outdoorsman is next door, bait, tackle, shooting range and a very professional staff. North Point marina is one of the best fishing starting points on Lake Michigan. Winthrop Harbor is served by Metra's UPN line regular service to Chicago over the old C&NW tracks. North point and Metra are about a mile from the hotel. Check out the local eateries close by the hotel!
The only issue I had was the hotel vending and ice machines. They were all un-stocked and out of order. It was not a real issue since close by are quick-marts. Hotel is a bargin at $40 per nite I spent $10 elsewhere when they could have made the sale?

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ralph K
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Recently, we stayed at the Sun Inn Motel (fka Sandpiper) in Winthrop Harbor. It was our family reunion and there were 33 of us staying there. We practically had the place to ourselves. It was very comfortable, quiet and peaceful. We enjoyed gathering together every morning in the breakfast room for coffee, donuts and fruit. It was great visiting with family members-some we hadn’t seen in six years and some we’d never seen before! The staff was very kind and accommodating. The rooms were fine. Several people commented on how comfortable the beds were and what a good night’s sleep they got.
From the outside, it looks like another old building but inside is a pleasant surprise! It looks like they’ve been remodeling and redecorating with new carpet, new shower curtains, hair dryers, Etc. Each room has a mini refrigerator and microwave and free WI FI.
They also gave us a ridiculously low price for the group. All in all, it was a good experience. We were lucky to have found such a nice, affordable place.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank _-Jarred___S1
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I have been to the Sandpiper Inn a few times with my family to visit the marina and have like my stay there. The Sandpiper Inn is no longer the name and has changed to the Sun Inn. When I arrived I was told of the name change and also the new owner and new management of the hotel. As i checked in, the manager on duty didn't have the best English, but that wasn't an issue to me. The staff seemed very nice and gave me a great clean room with a king size bed. Wi-fi worked fine and so did everything in the room that I had used. Refrigerator, Cable Tv, microwave, iron, hair dryer and all was very nice to have because I was staying with my family. Also the price was $45 with tax, which for the quality of the hotel is the best price ive ever paid. They serve complimentary breakfast that consists of donuts, muffins, bagels, coffee and iced tea. As a customer, all this i great especially for the ridiculous low price. My family and I enjoyed it and found it too good to be true. Will come back soon and recommend to others.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Sam S
Reviewed 14 January 2011

The price was great and it is very close to the marina and the Wisconsin border. If you are looking for a no frills place to sleep, this is it. I was told it had WiFi but I did not have my laptop. They did have HBO

This was one of the oddest motel experiences I have had. Not a bad experience, but odd. The showers were great. The mattresses were barely acceptable. The motel was in general disrepair. Ice machines did not work. Soda and laundry was out of order. Trim around doors was unmatched and falling apart (not a big deal, just odd). We had to change rooms due to broken heaters, hair dryers, toilets, telephones, etc. Bathrooms in both rooms were clean, not fully stocked, but clean.

Donuts in the morning were freshly made and excellent. Coffee was watery, warm not hot and in short supply. There was a microwave in the room to heat your coffee or tea. Fridge in room. Snow removal was prompt.

"Shash" at the front desk was odd but very accomodating and professional. He seemed kind of lost like it was his very first day on the job, but 5 days later he was not any smoother. Really nice guy, just odd. He worked hard at selling the property. He was always willing to work with us. He did not give any information to visitors, which I respected.

If they charged a higher rate, I would have left angry. For $35/night, I was ok with it and will stay again. As long as you don't take things too seriously, this is a decent value. This place has potential to be a really nice motel, but then the price would rise. This site asks me if I would recommend this place to a friend... depends on the friend. Some would be appalled. I was entertained.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank direwolf371
Reviewed 7 August 2010

Sandpiper Inn is a must stay. We have family in IL and stay at the hotel each year, for the past 3 years. Our recent trip we notice its under new management and the staff is very friendly (they make you feel like family), and the rooms are amazingly clean. The room prices are the best prices possible, this time we got the jacuzzi room for cheaper than a regular room in the area! A must stay, and a life time visitor!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
#4 of 4 in Pleasant Prairie
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Zion
The Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center, BW Premier Collection
The Inn at Market Square

Been to Sun Inn Motel? Share your experiences!