“Very neat, mostly clean and very comfortable location.”

Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wood Dale
Gonic, NH
“Very neat, mostly clean and very comfortable location.”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

The only thing I don't like about these locations is that there is no complimentary breakfast or refrigerator/micro in the room. You are a distance from convenient food options. One of the two nearby gas stations appears to have a Subway and a pizza shop in it. But mid-afternoon on a weekend it was quiet with an interior gate closed, must only be open Monday-Friday for the Industrial Park.

When I arrived Denise greeted me on entry. Found my information in the system, confirmed my Marriott status and checked my AAA card for my AAA rate. I was quickly given a room with directions to a side entrance. I was concerned going to the second floor with my bags on stairs, but no fear the elevator was just inside the key card entrance.

I worked in my room my entire visit until the next morning with just a Domino delivery while I worked. The work space was very good with a rolling table coming out from the desk. I could not adjust the desk seat any higher, but it was acceptable in height. When first sitting at the desk a long brown women's hair was on the table. Later when I went to use the sink another long brown hair. When I went to take a shower the next morning, there was a third long hair. Everything else seemed very clean and neat, but the hair was a surprise.

There was a large wedding with shuttles going from the hotel to a nearby country club. I anticipated the location might get rowdy, but it was peaceful throughout the night and the next morning.

My wife has had sinus surgeries and is sensitive to smells. I could and would return to this location because there was no musty or mildew odors, nor any other chemical or cleaning smells in the entry, room or halls.

The location is a little remote, but it was the lowest price Marriott property in the Chicago area that day and was a value for the price.

Room Tip: The only advice on room selection is that if you want to sit on the patio for fresh air request an i...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Thank you for taking time to give us a review after your stay. I do need to apologize for the mostly clean rating, as it should have been much better and you should not have found any deficiencies such a hairs. Most Courtyard by Marriott hotels have refrigerators and/or microwaves available on request if not already in the room, as we do here, but I did want to make sure you had this information as you continue traveling in the future.Considering the wedding group we had, I was pleased to see that it was peaceful for you. It also was nice to see that there were no discernable odors to spoil you stay. We would love to have you back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Guests sometimes strange looking ... Good service, nice hotel employees, had several times issues with card not opening the doors. Hotel is very clean, but somehoe when I stayed there more than 3 nights - was getting tired. When it's 2-3 nights - manageable.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Thank you for taking time to review our property. I'm not sure which guests you saw that may look strange but I am glad our service and associates were able to help make your stay enjoyable. I apologize for the issues with the keys not working properly though. I do hope you will still consider us for any future stays in the area.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 June 2012

The property is very clean and the staff is very friendly and welcoming. I am here for business which is great for that. I probably would not stay here if it was personal as there is not much in the area. But for the price and safety is an excellent deal.

• Stayed June 2012
I was very happy to hear that you found our hotel very clean and loved the notes about the staff. Our staff truly strive to be extremely friendly and so welcoming. While we were good for you for your business needs, I can understand your comments regarding the local area. While we may seem 'out there', we do have the opportunity to take our local metra train to downtown Chicago from Wood Dale, and save money by staying in the suburbs! Hopefully your travels will bring you back to our property in the future.
Illinois
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed several nights at the Courtyard in Wood Dale at a very low rate via an online site where you name your own price. True there is no fast food nearby (i.e., within walking distance), but if you're staying here, you likely have an automobile. Parking is free. Beware, however, that the pine trees in the parking lot may drip sap onto your car, as they did mine. Management should replace those pines with a non-damaging species. I am still struggling to remove the substance from my paint.

Check-in was fine and I was assigned a room with a king bed, near the back of the hotel. The room appeared clean, and well furnished, although there was no fridge or microwave, as many other Courtyards and most Hilton Garden Inns offer. The room included good quality coffee and brewing machine. There was no closet, but an armoire was provided. The HD TV was very nice, although many channels had interference of some kind. The bedding was comfortable and my inspection revealed no signs of insect pests, nor did I suffer pestilence. Room climate control worked perfectly. Decor was the standard Courtyard blue carpeting, multicolor framed prints, etc., and in everything was in good condition.

I liked the way the sink area was separate from the toilet/shower area, and there was plenty of granite counter space. The shower delivered plentiful water of constant temperature, although Marriott (across the brand, not just this property in particular) needs to reconsider the skimpy vials of shampoo and conditioner, adequate for only one wash for one person. Also, the bath towels were coarse and just a smidgen too small. However, all textiles were perfectly clean.

On my second evening in the room, I noticed the Dorito chip laying on the floor near the far side of the bed. I did not bring any chips into the room, and thus I conclude that housekeeping was cutting corners and not vacuuming the room either during guest stays, nor even between guests. Shame on housekeeping! Also, I surmised that housekeeping did not properly wash the ceramic coffee mugs in the room during my stay, and merely rinsed and wiped them. I certainly hope they get sanitized between guests! My only other problem with this hotel was that the wired internet was failing, and unavailable during half my stay. Wi-Fi was available, however, and worked (except that it kept defaulting back to the Marriott website every 8 or ten pageviews, which was annoying and interfered with my workflow). I expect flawless internet service from a business-grade hotel.

This property has a very nice patio/garden area, which is surrounded by the guest rooms, and helps contribute to a relaxed, peaceful atmosphere. And the indoor pool is larger than most Courtyard pools, and quite nice. Overall I enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay here again, when in the area. Even booked at the website rate, this would be a good value hotel.

ps: I couldn't help but laugh at the dispute of whether this is near O'hare airport or not. Management must be from California or Texas (or somewhere that they drive a lot) if they think 15 miles is "close" to the airport. It'll take you a half hour to get to the drop-off zone because of traffic, at least. Fortunately my business was in Itasca, not at the airport, so I was satisfied with the location, and I don't recall seeing this property being advertised as an "airport hotel" anyway. Gosh, folks, there are internet maps that will show you exactly!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for taking so much time to review our property. It is obvious as to why your reviews make you a top contributor for Tripadvisor. Unfortunately, we are unable to replace our pine trees as they are mature and have been in place for over 20 years, but they do have sap at times. I'm very concerned regarding the 'chip issue' as our housekeepers are required to vacuum daily. I assure you that I will be checking more carefully, along with our other management staff also to eliminate this issue. I can confirm that the cups and glasses do come down to the kitchen daily to be cleaned and sanitized in our dish machine. I apologize for all the issues with our internet. We tried to still have wired available along with wireless, but you should not have had a failing connection. As for our proximity to O'Hare, we try to just let our guests know we are close to the airport, but that we are not an "airport" property. On a good day, without traffic, the ride can be done in 15-20 minutes. We would love to have you back again the next time you have business in the area, such as in Itasca.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 8 June 2012

For the price, this hotel is a pretty decent deal but I have to agree that it is sort of out in the middle of nowhere which probably is the reason for it being priced so competitively. You have to drive everywhere in this area or take a cab but the hotel is very clean and for the most part very quiet. The lobby has been transformed into the Courtyard Bistro concept with the "Go Board" but I still find the employees very helpful and knowledgeable about the area and its restaurants.

Room Tip: I prefer staying on the East side of the hotel closer to Wood Dale Road since the West side backs up...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Thank you very much for taking time to complete a review on our property. Wood Dale is a western suburb of Chicago, though we do have convenient venues and restaurants in the area. We do offer complimentary local shuttle service for our guests within a 5 mile radius and I apologize if that was not emphasized for you. Our employees are very proud of our new lobby and Bistro and even though we have the "GoBoard" available as you stated, we could never remove the human element from our service standard. Thank you for noticing.
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed 17 May 2012

My stay overall was fine but I was surprised to see that I was charged for the bottled waters that were sitting on the counter, next to the coffee maker, to the tune of $5 per day with no warning on this. From now on, I will purchase my own drinking water at the grocery store for 87 cents a gallon and bring it in with me if this now the current trend with Marriott. Are you going to start charging for those little bars of soap next ?

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. Th bottled waters in each Marriott room contain a blue tag with the price and explanation of the charge should you choose to consume this bottled water. Thecost is $2.50 per bottle and will be charged if consumed by the guest. There are less expensive options available through the local stores in our area, that we also offer complimentary shuttle service to for our guests. I do not forsee any Marriott property, including ours, to begin charging for the complimentary toiletries such as the soap and shampoo.
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Ok. So this hotel advertises themselves as being "a hotel near O'Hare airport" but it'll cost you at least $50 in taxis round trip to get to and back. Very helpful staff. Extremely helpful, but in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you for explaining about your experience but I apologize if we appeared farther away from O'Hare Airport than you may have expected. We are only 10.5 miles away and we do list the approximate cost to and from this airport via taxi on our site for assistance. I am glad to hear that you felt our staff was extremely helpful as we always strive to be of assistance for every guest.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wood Dale
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago Wood Dale - Elk Grove
Hyatt Place Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
The Westin Chicago Northwest
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elk Grove Village at I-290, IL
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#3 of 14 in Elk Grove Village
Courtyard Chicago Elmhurst/Oakbrook Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Addison

Been to Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca? Share your experiences!