“Take train for a weekend getaway from Chicago”
Review of Bundling Board Inn

Bundling Board Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woodstock
Bundling Board Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Woodstock B&B and Inns
Chicago, IL
“Take train for a weekend getaway from Chicago”
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I don't drive, so I can't go to Wisconsin or Michigan for a weekend getaway. Googling towns along the Metra lead me to Woodstock, IL, and the short distance from the Woodstock train station had me sold on Bundling Board. Our room was shabby chic as a B&B should be and our breakfast was a homemade delight. A short walk to the town square and reservations at La Creperie made for the perfect relaxing weekend away from the city. It was so hot the July weekend we went that the owners even picked us up from the train station and dropped us off - I mean really, how much more convenient can a vacation get for busy people who want to turn their brains and bodies off for a couple days.

Room Tip: If you're like me and too lazy to go up the stairs and want easy access to cookies and refreshme...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank y808y

Families
Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
McHenry, Illinois
Reviewed 28 April 2012

My husband surprised me with a birthday overnight at the Bundling Board Inn. The Inn is cozy, with many little delights and surprises around each corner. We stayed in the Mildred Deslippe Room; it has an attached private bathroom with shower with the washstand in the room itself. Please let the hosts turn down your bed linens for you as the coverlet on the bed at your arrival is a cherished (and beautiful) antique. Be sure to read the scrapbook in the room explaining who Mildred was and when and where she lived.

Room Tip: A drawback is the noise of traffic on nearby streets and trains on nearby tracks; if you are a sensi...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
McHenry
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I wanted to do something special for my wife's recent birthday (it being a milestone), and as we're both fond of B&B's, I made arrangements at the Bundling Board Inn, which we've wanted to visit for a while.

There's something nice about being greeted by name, as I was by Merida Johns, who runs the place with her husband Russell. They introduced us to a very friendly dog named Bruno and welcomed us to sample some excellent trail mix brownies.

After taking the tour of the place, we were put into the small but utterly comfortable Mildred Deslippe Room, where a vase of birthday roses sat ready to greet my wife. After we came back from an evening's stroll through the Square (and dinner at an exceptionally good restaurant), we found the bed turned down and fragrant rose petals strewn upon the sheets.

Before turning in, we spent some time in the parlor, reading up on the history of Woodstock in general and the Inn in particular as we enjoyed some tea and another brownie or two.

After a refreshing sleep, breakfast was blueberry pancakes, a sort of mini-quiche, and sausages, complimented by fruit smoothies, coffee for my wife, and tea for me. Merida sat and chatted with us for a while, and we really had a pleasant time.

We thank the Johnses for their hospitality and kindness (especially in sending us on our way with a bag of those same brownies!), and will definitely return to the Bundling Board someday!

Room Tip: We stayed in one of three rooms, all of which are charming and filled with all manner of vintage boo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 October 2011

I had a meeting in Woodstock that began early on a Saturday morning, so chose to drive out from Chicago and spend the previous afternoon and evening there. The hosts of Bundling Board greeted us warmly, didn't detain us when we wanted to race right out and go antiquing before all the stores closed, and had turned down our beds and left delicious brownies for us to munch on when we got home from dinner. Breakfast was delicious (fruit, pancakes, sausage, fruit smoothies, all dressed up with little touches like pecan butter and honey-infused yoghurt) and served without complaint an hour before their usual schedule to accommodate my needs. We enjoyed chatting with perhaps the only two Democrats in McHenry County, and were grateful for the snack they handed us on our way out the door: more home-made brownies.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Pueblo, Colorado
Reviewed 13 August 2011

My wife and I stayed at this B&B for a family reunion in the Woodstock area. We had previously stayed at the Hampton Inn, but when they jacked their room rate from $105 to $139 in one year, I started looking elsewhere and found this place. It was cheaper, nicer, more comfortable, and exceeded all our expectations. We stayed in the Mildred Deslippe room on the first floor. Our hosts, Merida and Russell, provided a gluten free menu for my wife, a bouquet of roses for our room on arrival, the high speed internet really was high speed and worked, and tea and snacks were available in the evening when we returned from our day's activities. The inn is within walking distance to the Woodstock town square. We attended a farmer's market on Saturday, a church down the street on Sunday morning, and a concert in the opera house on Sunday afternoon.. The level of personal service from Merida and Russell far exceeded anything we could expect at a chain motel. The breakfasts were truly gourmet delights, served in a dining room filled with pictures of her family and historical objects from the Woodstock past. We learned a lot about the area and the owner's family, and the history of the house and its renovation. If you are looking for a quiet, romantic couples getaway in a house with an interesting history, this is the place. We will definitely return in the future. Thank you Merida and Russell for your hospitality

Room Tip: It is a small B &B, limited to, I believe, 3 or 4 guest rooms. We like the first floor room bes...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CharlesPaulsen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Super 8 Woodstock
Comfort Inn
#3 of 4 in Crystal Lake
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Crystal Lake
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Algonquin

Been to Bundling Board Inn? Share your experiences!