“difficult situation”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Zion
Holland, Michigan, United States
“difficult situation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

I wanted to let you know how much I appreciated the help of your desk personnel on July 30,2013. My daughter had an unexpected procedure at the Cancer Center and we needed a place for an extra night. your Country Inn was full but Sophia called the Center and got someone there to help her find a room for us that night. She was very kind, helpful and professional. We are at your Inn two or three times a month and feel very comfortable there. The staff is always kind and accommodating and we certainly do appreciate that. It is always good to find a place that makes a hard situation a little easier.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

Since my mom lives within walking distance, I have stayed here many, many times. The staff is always very friendly but make certain you call ahead for reservations. This hotel generally has many patients being treated by the Cancer Treatment Center of America. I really try to ensure that the kids are on their best behavior, just out of respect for the people and families dealing with this horrid disease. I have never had any complaints about my kids, or no actions by the staff, but again, I try to put myself in the place of the other habitants. It is always quiet there. It is generally clean there, but make certain you take any valuables out of your car, as I accidentally left a camera, nothing fancy, in the vehicle and it was gone the next morning. Also, when I get special deal offers from Carlson, for country inn and suites, it will list every property around except for this one. But my visits here are always very pleasant. If the stolen camera issue was a real problem of crime, I would not stay here, so don't let that deter you from staying here either. As a note, don't put food in the fridge without first checking both the fridge and the little freezer. One time I found some kind of medical bag left in the little freezer. I couldn't complain though, because I am certain that the person who left it was going through and dealing with much more than I did with that.

Room Tip: I have never had a bad room here.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
cx_zion, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Zion, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us. We work diligently to make sure each of our guests have the same experience while staying at our hotel. Please contact me at your convenience as I would like to address your last stay with us. We appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit we can exceed your expectations.
Wausau, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

Clean comfortable room at a decent price. Breakfast area is large and easily handled our group as well as the rest of the hotels guests. Another nice thing is they allowed us to use the breakfast area as a place to watch the NBA playoffs and drink a couple beers. The front desk staff was very helpful in finding local cuisine and helped us get around road construction and some local flooded roads. Ask for a room on the top floor(only 3 floors so not too high) and one facing the nature area to the rear of the hotel. Only complaint...the fresh free cookies were gone when we arrived...oh well.

Room Tip: Top floor with a rear facing room towards the nature area.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
McComb, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012

We visit Zion, IL at least twice a year as my wife visits CTCA for her follow up visits. Other than my previous visit, where we had noisy neighbors, our times there has been pleasant and enjoyable.

Dan and Stella are great at the front desk and always make sure you have everything you need. The young lady in the morning breakfast area was also very nice and made sure the food was hot and well prepared. She made sure the breakfast area was spic and span.

Planning to return next year for a follow up at CTCA and we have already booked reservations to return for our overnight lodging.

Room Tip: Rooms on third floor are quieter and away from the parking lot
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Visted Country Inn and Suites with daughter and wife for soccer tournament in late June, 2012. It was blistering hot (heat index = 111!) and humid, but the hotel room A/C worked perfectly. Room was comfortable, clean and relatively well maintained with the exception of the shower rod which was trying to fall off the wall. We particularly enjoyed the front porches which featured comfortable wooden tables and rockers - great for enjoying a glass of wine and cooling off in the evening breeze which showed up on day two of our 3-day stay. As noted in other reviews, the walk to the full service grocery is about 75 yards. The hotel breakfast featured eggs, waffles, cereal, juices, milk, etc. and was self serve.

The hotel management and staff were pleasant and ready to please. Location was good for exploring the Waukegan/Gurnee area or as a stop over spot on one's way from Chicago northbound into Wisconsin. There is also a 6 Flags amusement park about 10 minutes from this property.
While the hotel is smoke free, some of the patrons appeared to not want to cooperate - one room I walked by reeked of cigarette smoke, even though it was supposed to be a non-smoking property. Odd, since this hotel caters to those seeking treatment at the nearby cancer center. There is a free shuttle service to the cancer treatment center for hotel guests.

Grounds are well maintained and the property is located relatively close to Lake Michigan - hence the cooling breeze in the evenings. A short drive (3-4 miles) away is the small town of Winthrop Harbor and the harbor area has a couple nice restaurants for outdoor dining.

Rate was very reasonable and I would recommend the property to others.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the woods on the backside of the hotel. It was quieter o...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank tamccann
Buffalo Grove, Il
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

My daughter and I spent a few days together in Zion, IL. We stayed in one Hotel and then transferred to this hotel for a change of pace. The first thing you see is a rocking chair greeting you at the entrance to the hotel. The hotel is small and somewhat dated, but none the less inviting. The rooms are adequate and the bed offered a good nights sleep. The listing for the hotel says it had a continental breakfast, but it was a full breakfast with make your own waffles, fruit, hot and cold cereals, sausages, bacon, bagels and rolls, and assortment of juices. In addition to all this there was muffins and sweet rolls and coffee and teas.

There is a hiking trail that begins next to the hotel which has not been used in quite a while and is very overgrown so we were not able to use it.

For discount shopping lovers there is a dollar store next door and a K-Mart across the street. I remember a restaurant across the street, but I don't remember what it is. There are plenty of restaurants nearby if you have a car and a cute family restaurant around the corner.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel in February 2011 while in town for appointments at CTCA during the 2011 blizzard. The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance of a grocery store, Dollar General, a thrift store and a few other stores. The hotel was clean and Dan at the front desk was extremely welcoming and compassionate. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank promqueen94
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zion
Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center
The Inn at Market Square
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kenosha
Baymont Inn & Suites Gurnee
Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gurnee

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Zion? Share your experiences!