Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Zion, IL
US$160
US$99
US$100
Very Good 4/5
La Villa Motel(Winthrop Harbor)
US$78
US$72
US$46
Sun Inn Motel(Winthrop Harbor)
US$61
US$50
US$49
Travelocity
US$62
All reviewseggsbiscuitsnext morningrecommend this hotelgreat place to stayfree breakfaststaff was very friendlyseparate roomother hotelshot tubstay there againfront desk clerkthree timesgreat visitwi fitop floortwin beds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 July 2007

My family and I (My parents, husband, and 3 children ages 12, 7, and 4) spent 7 nights in this nice, good as new property while visiting family in Zion.
For our purposes the location was ideal, situated right off of Sheridan road, which goes right through Zion. A grocery store and Kmart are just a couple hundred feet away. The Illinois Beach State Park is just a minute away. Although Chicago isn't an easy drive from Zion, there is a train station less than a mile away, off of Shiloh Blvd. The train ride to downtown Chicago is just over an hour.
One of our favorite features of this hotel is the free breakfast. We were surprised to find fresh waffles (pre-measured batter is placed next to the Belgian waffle maker,) yogurt, fresh donuts from a local bakery, muffins, bagels, bread for toast, English Mufffins, biscuits and gravy, eggs, fresh fruit, a variety of cereals, milk, juices, coffee, and tea were all provided every morning for several hours. It saved us a lot of money and was considerably better than your average "continental breakfast" that many other hotels provide.
Housekeeping was great. Our room was cleaned and towels, shampoos, etc were replenished everyday. My mother, who is very friendly, introduced herself to the women who were cleaning on her floor and they often left friendly notes for her and layed out our daughters stuffed animals across the bed in a orderly fashion. My older daughter hugged them all and almost cried saying goodbye.
Although I'm not a fan of Country Style decor I was quite pleased with our room. Room 319 is an Executive Suite, with 2 queen beds in the bedroom which is separated from the rest of the suite by a glass-paned door. We had a separate sitting room which has a couch that folds out to a twin-sized bed. The sitting area has it's own television, which came in handy when the children wanted to play and watch TV while we watched our own programs in the bedroom. My mother stayed in a standard room with 2 queen beds and was pleased with the space and the price.
The pool is small but very clean and we enjoyed the Jacuzzi while the children played in the pool. We were able to access the internet from a computer in the breakfast room and there is a laundry room where you can wash your clothes.
The overall feel of the hotel is calm and serene. Many of the guests are cancer patients and their families. My father talked with many of the guests while rocking in one of the many chairs on the front porch of the hotel (my mother is a cancer survivor so we can relate) and found everyone one to be very friendly.
I will definately return to the Country Inn Suites and will most likely look to stay at other locations of the same name thanks to this experience.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank JackandSally
Reviewed 24 October 2006

Like most Country Inn and Suites, this one was very clean and comfortable. Hotel staff was very friendly. Breakfast was above average with donuts, rolls, eggs, sausage gravy, biscuits and make your own waffles. Kind of a strange location .. well back into the suburban town of Zion ... no other motel/hotels in the area .. just across the road is a small shopping plaza .. with a K-Mart and a Piggly Wiggly grocery. Within 15 - 20 minutes of Gurnee Mills Shopping, but a good hour from attractions in downtown Chicago.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank Mao007
Reviewed 17 July 2006

We live in the area, but we had to make repairs to our hardwood floors. We had to stay away from our home for 3 days. The hotel is very inviting. There is a nice big porch with tables and rockers. The pool is clean and nice. The rooms are very clean. Our room had a living room with a t.v. and 2 couches, desk, and chair. We had a microwave and refrigerator (which really helped with our 8 month old daughter). We also had 2 double beds in the back bedroom. The staff was helpful and friendly.

This hotel is where many of the patients and family stay that are at the Cancer Treatment Center of America up the road.

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank luv2travel1005
Reviewed 14 May 2006

The staff was very friendly and the Hotel was clean & neat... I was delighted by the large breakfast/lounge area. Nice Pool area also.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank Monkeimommy
Reviewed 20 September 2005

We stayed at this hotel for four nights at the end of August. My family was visiting from England and this was a perfect location for Lake Michigan, Six Flags, and Chicago.

We were initially booked at a much more expensive hotel in the area. However, during the telephone reservation process, I was particularly perturbed by the impatient attitude of the reservation clerk. So perturbed, I decided to call the Country Inn & Suites. What a difference! Roxanne was so patient, helpful, and personable (even to the point of calling me back when she had to take care of other customers). It was at that point I decided to change my booking to this hotel.

The hotel was new this year, so shows no sign of wear and tear. Our suites were extremely comfortable and both had a refrigerator, microwave, and two TVs. A deluxe continental breakfast was included in the price of the room. The pool and Jacuzzi were large enough for this size hotel. The front porch, with wooden rockers and tables made a welcoming, friendly, gathering place. Stores are located just across the road and there are restaurants within walking distance.

The hotel is host to numerous patients of the Cancer Treatment Center of America. Patients from the center find camaraderie with fellow patients at the hotel, but not to the exclusion of other guests.

We visited the other hotel while we were in the area and knew we had made the right decision to change to the Country Inn & Suites. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to stay here again if we were in the area.

4  Thank BritYank