“Enjoyable Sunday Brunch”
Review of Sherman House - CLOSED

Sherman House
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Historic German Restaurant in Batesville, Indiana. Over 100 years old- you should have this listed !!!
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I live in Batesville and had never been to the Sherman House for its Sunday brunch until some friends visited earlier this month.

For brunch, you can either order off the menu or select items from the large buffet. For either, the cost was quite reasonable (under $10).

The dining room is actually the large banquet room that is opened up completely for use, so the atmosphere feels as though you might be attending a wedding reception, but that's a minor point.

The wait staff was attentive, frequently refilling coffee and water, but the wait for food ordered off the menu seemed to be a bit excessive.

All in all, it was a good experience--good food for the value--and I would return with out of town guests in the future.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

We had an early dinner at the Sherman House today and like the many other times we visited - it was great..

This restaurant is part of a small boutique hotel in Batesville, Indiana. Batesville is the Home Office of Hillenbrand Industries and has amenities for it's citizens which are far beyond what you would find in a town of this size. While Hillenbrand does not own the Sherman House (I don't think) this is one of those fine amenities that can keep people from going to the bigger cities for a really good meal.

The theme of the restaurant is reflected in its specialty German dishes, but you can get a good old hamburger and a steak also if that is what you want.

For my meal I chose the Wiener schnitzel and my wife had the chicken variety. You can also get Sauerbraten and a lot of different German Sausages. All was well prepared and tasted great. A salad bar comes with all entre's.These meals are way too heavy to have everyday, but they are good every once in a while.

Service was a bit slow, but made up for it with friendliness and eagerness to please. Overall, we had a very good experience and will continue to go back

Reviewed 25 September 2011

We stayed at the Inn and used the restaurant for our supper, a late night dessert and morning breakfast. The food was all very tasty, hot and delivered in a timely fashion. The service was excellant. Not only did our waitress take good care of us, the owner and hostess paid visits to our tables.
We had their famous Reuben Sandwich, which was big enough for 2 people and came with a side (for I think, $7.99).
They have the BEST PEANUT BUTTER PIE EVER! And we got to meet the pastry chef who has been there 35 years! Our Sunday morning breakfast was very good. They had a breakfast buffet and omelet bar.
The Inn is an older building, but was very clean and quaint. We would recommend staying here.

Reviewed 18 September 2011

We just had a wonderful dinner at The Sherman House. It was the first time I've visited and didn't know what to expect. The decor feels like being inside a old English (or should I say German?) castle, with Tudor styled beams, heavy wooden tables, private cozy booths. We were greeted and seated by a very gracious gentleman and served by the nicest lady. We felt very comfortable and as though our presence was really appreciated. I decided upon the fried chicken entree which came with salad bar, a side, and delicious rolls with apple butter. The salad bar was fresh and everything I sampled was tasty. It even had German potato salad, which was a treat. I was almost full by the time my entree came. It was a hearty four pieces of the most delicious freshly fried chicken, some of the best I've ever tasted! The skin was crisp and flavorful and the chicken moist and tender. I must say, that I was so glad we decided to have dinner here. The whole experience was relaxing, cozy, warm and with really good food. I shall return again!

1  Thank lachase