“Broad selection to choose from”

The Owlery Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 361 Restaurants in Bloomington
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Located on the north side of Bloomington's downtown square, The Owlery offers high quality, vegetarian food at affordable prices. At the Owlery, we challenge ourselves to find responsible sources for our ingredients and ethical ways of doing business.At the Owlery, we greatly value the cultural significance of dining together and want to reflect what we love about the Bloomington community - its diversity, openness, and thriving arts scene. We also hope to foster a work environment where employees have input in the restaurant and feel valued as friends and workers.
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I was really pleased with my first meal there. I can't eat a large amount of soy, so was delighted to find several great options on the menu: great tasting hummus and veggies as an appetizer; a delicious black bean soup of the day; pierogies with various sides (I had onions, sauerkraut and soy-based sour cream); grilled cheese and more. There are LOTS of choices for folks who are able to eat soy. And they even serve beer!

The Sunday brunch was recommended by the staff who took care of our bill. He says the staff members who aren't working come it to eat it. It must be REALLY good!

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Since it opened, the Owlery has become one of my friends' and my favorite locations for almost-weekly dinners. We've got a mix of diets around the table--vegan, vegetarian, and meat eaters--and we all love the Owlery. I think my favorite thing about the Owlery is having an option for vegetarian comfort food like the fried chicken dinner and an option for a really good salad with vegetarian protein (the Cobb salad). Even my meat-loving, vegetable-averse boyfriend loves the pierogies. They also always have a nice selection of good beer, delicious vegan desserts (seriously, some of the best desserts I've ever had, AND they're vegan), and great service. Thanks for all of the happy dining experiences, Owlery!

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We are confirmed carnivores but don't require meat at every meal - tried the Owlery mainly out of curiosity and were very pleasantly surprised. Definitely a hippie ambiance but we like that; seitan made a great meat substitute in our BLT and Reuben, we took a BLT home for our veggie son and he was impressed with it as well.

1  Thank basset55
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I was thrilled when the Owlery reopened on the square because I like it much better than Roots, Bloomington's other vegetarian restaurant. The Owlery offers a lot of unusual dishes for vegetarians. The main drawback is that its menu is fairly heavy on meat substitutes.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

This has become one of my favorite Bloomington restaurants. I really like the Philly cheese, poutine, perogies, BBQ, and the all the sides are very good as well. Don't forget to grab a piece of cake or a cupcake. Best in town.

They also have a small bar that usually has 1 or 2 great craft beers on tap.