“Pretty Good”

Price range: US$7 - US$25
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Steakhouse, Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Cead mile failte! Established in 1982, the Irish Lion is an independently-owned restaurant and pub located in downtown Bloomington, Indiana. An authentically restored historic 1882 tavern with stained glass windows, cast iron columns, an original Brunswick back bar and Civil War vintage front bar. In its 32nd year serving authentic ​​Irish ​​​fare​, daily specials, fresh seafood, steaks, lamb, salads, soups, Dublin pub stews, poultry, pasta and Pub Grub. Offering an extensive wine list, full bar, 100+ Whiskeys, 116+ Single Malt Scotches and pouring the finest Irish & European imports on draught. Hosting banquets, rehearsal dinners, corporate and special events in the Celtic Room and in our outdoor venue, The Glen. Large groups and all ages welcome. Sainte/Cheers!
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pretty Good”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

It was my first dining experience in Bloomington, In. The ambiance was pretty good. I sat at the bar and enjoyed a pint, apps and supper. The bartender really took her time pouring my pint of Guinness and even included a shamrock as the beer settled. The food was good, but have to say the best part of the soda bread, very authentic. All in all, good place for a pint to start off the evening or a pint to end the evening.

• Korean first
Evansville, Indiana
“Reminded me of our trip to Ireland”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We had great fish and chips. The restaurant does look like an authentic Irish Pub. Be advised that under 21 cannot sit in main area of the pub. Our waiter was great...service was fast...and food was amazing.

Visited July 2014
Indianapolis, IN
“Appetizers out of this world”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Every few years, my faculty group winds up at The Irish Lion for our faculty dinner. Last night, we enjoyed ourselves at this wonderful Bloomington restaurant.

First, I have to explain that all faculty members begin enthusiastic whispers of "Blarney Puffballs" as soon as we realize The Irish Lion is in our future. These incredible fried mashed potato & cheese concoctions are of another world. Those coupled with the brie appetizer, fried pickles, and sweet & sour wings make for quite a feast long before the entrees arrive. Pair these appetizers with the Irish soda bread, and you get the picture.

As always, I should have stuck to appetizers rather than pushing myself to consume an entree. My fillet medallions were just fine. Served with mushrooms and a wonderful gravy, they were tasty, but I was far too full from my appetizers to enjoy the actual meal. I tried only one of the potatoes accompanying the main dish, and although they were very Irish and very good, I just couldn't eat more.

The Irish Lion is perfect for large parties upstairs and smaller groups in the ornate bar area. We've also enjoyed a dining room tucked behind the bar area on the main floor. The only catch is that all main floor seating -- except the outside seating area -- is off limits to guests under 21. On several occasions Ive thought about taking my family down to Bloomington to dine at The Irish Lion, but since my teenagers are not 21 and couldn't enjoy the beauty of the downstairs area, we opted to go elsewhere.

The upstairs area, however, offers diners something similar to a museum with items representative of Ireland.

• Visited July 2014
Chicago, IL
“Still Great!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Last time I was in the Irish Lion was 25 years ago. During a recent visit to Bloomington, I was happy to see that the Irish Lion has maintained and even improved its wonderful offerings! Just a great place to sit outside and have a drink or dinner. Prices are reasonable, wait staff is very friendly and professional. Food and drinks are great! Great place to hang out and enjoy the company of friends!

• Visited July 2014
Colorado
“Authentic Irish Pub Experience”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Irish Pub is unique to Bloomington and always has great food, beer and service. We go often and have never had a bad experience. The Fish and Chips, Corned Beef and Cabbage and Prime Rib are exceptional and consistently good. The Potato Puff Balls appetizer is like nothing I have had anywhere else- a must try. They have specials for St. Patricks Day that are not to be missed and they make their own soda bread which you can get - to go. It is the real thing. If you have not been here and you are Celtic, it is a MUST.

• Visited June 2014