“Perfectly fine hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Perfectly fine hotel”
Reviewed 6 September 2012 via mobile

I just stayed here for the second time and once again had a very pleasant stay. I am surprised by the reviews, obviously the negative reviewers have never stayed in a college town before. Yes, room rates are a bit higher and yes, there is noise on the street but it is still a very nice hotel. If you are a light sleeper ask for a courtyard room or turn on your fan. The staff is pleasant, the rooms are clean and the locatin is within walking distance to everything you need. Looking forward to my next stay here in two weeks!

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We strive to be a clean and comfortable place to visit and I am pleased that your stay with us was enjoyabe. I hope you come to love this town like I have. Bloomington is a great city. We'll see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I stayed here one night while in town for business. The hotel is right in the middle of the college town. The front staff were friendly. You can pull up to the front while registering-then parking is in the garage behind for $5 a night. They give you a parking card you swipe.

There are many restaurants close to the hotel. I didn't use the gym or eat at the hotel restaurant. My room was quiet and clean. It overlooked the courtyard. I could see how it would be loud if overlooking the main street.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope the next time you are in town you choose to stay with us again. The downtown area is vibrant and always evolving. Next month an Oliver Winery tasting room is opening one block from us on the square and should really add more local flavor to downtown.
So. Indiana
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Reserved online for 2 queen beds. Rec'd a confirmation back saying that is what I had. Fine print did say subject to availability. However NEVER rec'd anything from hotel saying was otherwise. Showed up after IU game with a King Bed for our family of four. Said hotel was sold out and could not give us 2 queens. Did call before arrived late to tell I was going to be a late arrival and again - never told I was going to have one KING. Offered an air mattress for our teenagers - wow that went over well!!!! Then air mattress arrives - twin air mattress - no blankets !!!!!! Oh and did I say I was charged $256.09. Oh and it says its non smoking and reeked of smoke. Its 12:35 and my teenagers are complaining so I am very upset with Hilton !!!! We travel at least once or twice a month on average - but will not ever stay here again. Also, I will not be using Hilton!

Room Tip: Call and confirm- type of room!!!!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lbottorff
I apologize for the reservation error. I have followed up with our management team to ensure that this will not happen again. If you reserved a room with two queen beds that is what we should have delivered.
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Our group consisted of nearly 20 people divided up in 4 rooms and 1 suite. The suite was a great place to convene before going out. There was plenty of room. It would even be ideal for 2-3 air mattresses, especially for the budget-minded partiers. The rooms were rather expensive, but the location, cleanliness, and great times made up for that. Since the hotel was entirely booked, there was a lot of elevator traffic and they were slow. The front desk workers were very friendly.

• Stayed August 2012
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I booked 2 rooms, both are facing College Ave on the 5th floor. All the previous reviews about the noise is true. Bloomington area folks sure like loud exhaust pipe on their motorcycles, pick-up trucks, etc, and speed on the Ave. Even at 2AM in the morning, you still can hear lots traffic rumbling down the College Ave. I am a light sleeper, so I am regret I did not ask for a courtyard side room. To be fair, my family did not wake up by the traffic. So your tolerance level might be different. It was just me. However, my wife also woke up at night due to emergency vehicles sirens. And some drunk hotel customers were talking, laughing, even yelling very loudly on the sidewalk outside the hotel at 3AM for half an hour! Later they were on my floor talking as they walked out the elevator and getting ice from the ice maker. I can hear EVERYTHING in my room. A better sound proofing on windows and etc is in order for this hotel. I have stay in many airport hotels that can block airplane take-off noise.

On the positive side, great location, nice building, clean room, a welcome card when I check in is a nice touch, lobby has free cookie at evening and coffee/tea in the morning. If you check in on Saturday night and found a "2hr max" street parking spot, you can save $5 fee for the parking garage. It is because after 5PM on Saturday, street parking become free until Sunday night. There are many restaurants within 2 blocks radius that serve breakfast/lucnch/dinner. Lots of Choices if you want to try something other than the Hotel's restaurant and breakfast buffet. All in all, without the noise issue which might be "luck", it sure be very good place to stay,

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street have better view but noisy vs. the garage view of the courtyard rooms. Make...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Thank you for reviewing our property. I am sorry that the downtown noise level detracted from your stay with us. Courtyard side rooms are generally a better fit for a light sleeper. I am glad that the rest of your stay with us was enjoyable and please let us know the next time you are in town.
Goshen, Indiana
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I was bumped from another local hotel and ended up here. I was impressed by the design and modern amenities. Very close to everything. Room was spacious. Bathroom was a bit small but clean and big enough. Didn't try the breakfast. Champions was fun in the evening. A bit confusing to get into the hotel from the parking garage. Overall a nice hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We strive hard to provide a clean and friendly environment. We look forward to having you back the next time you're in town. Right now Coaches restaurant is showing all the Olympic coverage on our 22 TVs. Go USA!
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This hotel is ideally situated a block off the town square with easy access to Kirkwood and tons of restaurants, bars and shops. Rooms are very nice and spotlessly clean with great bathrooms. I used the fitness center during my stay, and it was well kept and maintained. Didn't get a chance to check out Champions restaurant/sports bar, but it looks fairly nice. My only small complaint is that the air conditioning unit my room made a pretty loud clunking noise when it kicked on, loud enough to wake me up several times. Other than that, I think this is hands-down the best hotel in Bloomington. Parking is a very reasonable $5 a day in the garage behind the hotel with unlimited in and out access.

Room Tip: High-floor rooms on the east side have a better view toward the IU campus and the town square, but r...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Thanks for your encouraging words! I'm glad we can be a part of your Bloomington experience. I look forward to meeting you the next time you are in town.